"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: 55 Cancri  (Read 1549 times)

Dragonoake

• Master Member
    • View Profile
55 Cancri
« on: January 12, 2020, 10:10:24 pm »
I was thinking about  55 Cancri, the so-called Diamond Planet https://www.space.com/18011-super-earth-planet-diamond-world.html, and while I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, I don't see the physics working from what I know about planet formation; and the discrepancy between the chemistry of the planet and that of the supposedly parent star further suggests that there is something very wrong with this picture.

Could it be more likely that the planet is actually the burned out core of a dead stellar companion?
And since the parameters and results of the Triple-alpha process of Nucleosynthesis in a Helium-burning star is fairly well understood, this hypothesis should be relatively easy to test

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: 55 Cancri
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 12:38:33 am »
I was thinking about  55 Cancri, the so-called Diamond Planet https://www.space.com/18011-super-earth-planet-diamond-world.html, and while I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, I don't see the physics working from what I know about planet formation; and the discrepancy between the chemistry of the planet and that of the supposedly parent star further suggests that there is something very wrong with this picture.

Could it be more likely that the planet is actually the burned out core of a dead stellar companion?
And since the parameters and results of the Triple-alpha process of Nucleosynthesis in a Helium-burning star is fairly well understood, this hypothesis should be relatively easy to test

A few follow up studies were conducted, and here is an article that summarizes said studies in one place: https://www.space.com/37654-exoplanet-55-cancri-e-facts.html

Pretty doubtful it's a diamond planet, given that the host star doesn't have the correct composition of carbon to oxygen to help support the diamond theory. That said, it's still a weird planet - surface may be covered in runny lava or be generally volcanic in nature, the atmosphere has a lot of hydrogen and helium, and a few other interesting tidbits!
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 193
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal