collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Whites-only Christian Gathering (and Cross Burning) Upsets Many  (Read 2055 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
The Christian Identity folks are holding a surprise (to area residents) "pastor's conference" in Lamar County, Alabama July 4-6, 2012. "All White Christians Invited" according to flyer put up in the middle of the night which also say the conference will close with a "Sacred Christian Cross Lighting Ceremony." As expected local residents are not pleased.

Read the article: Whites-only Christian gathering riles some Alabama neighbors
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Whites-only Christian Gathering (and Cross Burning) Upsets Many
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:00:08 am »
Quote from: RandallS;62907
The Christian Identity folks are holding a surprise (to area residents) "pastor's conference" in Lamar County, Alabama July 4-6, 2012. "All White Christians Invited" according to flyer put up in the middle of the night which also say the conference will close with a "Sacred Christian Cross Lighting Ceremony." As expected local residents are not pleased.

Wow, that's really disturbing.

From the article
It was put up throughout the town in the middle of the night. (It was) when everyone was asleep without the permission of the business owner," said Tyler Cantrell, manager of Norris Music in nearby Winfield, Ala., the report said.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, this gave me the impression that they stuck flyers to privately owned businesses. If that's the case, couldn't the business owners get them for trespassing or vandalism charges or something?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:18:11 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;62911
Unless I'm reading it wrong, this gave me the impression that they stuck flyers to privately owned businesses. If that's the case, couldn't the business owners get them for trespassing or vandalism charges or something?

If they can prove who (i.e. a specific person) put the poster up, they might be able to.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:43:43 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;62927
If they can prove who (i.e. a specific person) put the poster up, they might be able to.

To do otherwise would open up a lot of abuse where if you don't like an organization you could put fliers for them where they don't belong and get the organization penalized.

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Whites-only Christian Gathering (and Cross Burning) Upsets Many
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:12:39 pm »

Read the article: Whites-only Christian gathering riles some Alabama neighbors

I couldn't quite tell from the article: are they holding this "conference" in a public building or area? They'd need someone's permission first, in that case.

And how did this group manage to set this up without tipping off residents ahead of time?

(I haven't had my caffeine yet, so if I'm incoherent, that's why.)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 01:19:14 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;62937
I couldn't quite tell from the article: are they holding this "conference" in a public building or area? They'd need someone's permission first, in that case.

And how did this group manage to set this up without tipping off residents ahead of time?

(I haven't had my caffeine yet, so if I'm incoherent, that's why.)

following links within the story, there appears to be a christian identity church in the next county, which is where they are holding the conference.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 05:47:48 pm »
"Sacred Christian Cross Lighting Ceremony."

This is the part I really "love"? I guess they figure if you change the name, no one will realize you are going to burn a cross just like the KKK does (and for probably the exact same reasons). Doesn't look like this is working too well for them.
Randall

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 06:38:59 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;62927

I suppose the organizers could always claim it was done without their knowledge. Still, if it were my business, I'd be pissed.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 09:51:35 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;62996
I suppose the organizers could always claim it was done without their knowledge. Still, if it were my business, I'd be pissed.

I'd have removed it as "litter" as I walked in the door.
Randall

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 11:52:37 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;63023
I'd have removed it as "litter" as I walked in the door.

if its a whites only cross lighting are they going to have a white guy strapped to the cross? or o all 'traditional' and have a black guy up there? cuz from what I recall of 'cross lightings' usually it's either done on black property or with a black person on the cross. O.o

this is so much stupidness. if your not doing any thing wrong then why are you sneaking around doing it at night and not asking permission etc.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 07:39:34 am »
The Christian Identity folks are holding a surprise (to area residents) "pastor's conference" in Lamar County, Alabama July 4-6, 2012.

Part of their motivation for this is likely to be a publicity stunt.

Christian Identity movements have been in a bit of a poor state recently.  The younger far right types seem unattracted to religious based racism.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 08:07:03 am »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;63061
Part of their motivation for this is likely to be a publicity stunt.

I expect you're right there. It has got them a lot of publicity.
Randall

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 09:36:27 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;63040
if its a whites only cross lighting are they going to have a white guy strapped to the cross? or o all 'traditional' and have a black guy up there? cuz from what I recall of 'cross lightings' usually it's either done on black property or with a black person on the cross. O.o

this is so much stupidness. if your not doing any thing wrong then why are you sneaking around doing it at night and not asking permission etc.

I could ask the same question for most, if not all, pagan religions.  Why are many pagan religions done at night?  Why don't pagans ask permission from the country govt to do their rituals on their own property?

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Whites-only Christian Gathering (and Cross Burning) Upsets Many
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 10:10:25 pm »
Quote from: sailor;63152
I could ask the same question for most, if not all, pagan religions.  Why are many pagan religions done at night?  Why don't pagans ask permission from the country govt to do their rituals on their own property?

I think the comment about sneaking around at night and not asking permission was about how the group put up their flyers, not how they held the event.  The article implied that the flyers were put up in the middle of the night and that some were put on private property without the permission of the owners.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 10:28:32 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;63156
I think the comment about sneaking around at night and not asking permission was about how the group put up their flyers, not how they held the event.  The article implied that the flyers were put up in the middle of the night and that some were put on private property without the permission of the owners.

yes,that's what I was referring to.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Tags: