collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Teo Bishop Finds Christianity Again  (Read 3790 times)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Teo Bishop Finds Christianity Again
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 04:39:41 am »
Quote from: Aiwelin;130578
On this point, I agree with the quote that Jason from TWH posted - "I can hear Christian voices anywhere, I come here to hear Pagan voices".  I realize that people of other religions, especially those friendly to Paganism, have an interesting perspective; but really, it's not what I go to Pagan media to hear.  Of course, that's me personally, and it may be that there are many more others who would like to hear more about Paganism from other faiths' perspective.

Valid viewpoint, and I think a lot of people are going to agree.  Anyway, it's moot now, apparently.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 04:42:47 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;130583
I woul actually really appreciate hearing more Christo-Pagan voices. They are not the evil importers they are represented as, but an under-represented an arguably oppressed minority within the Pagan community. Whether Teo is the right person to represent them is a different matter entirely.

I would too, and I agree with your assessment.  Teo may or may not be the right one to bear that particular cross... I think a bigger question is where could a C-P find a willing audience.

Sophia C

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Gaelic-tinged polytheism, quite attached to Cailleach Bhearra, Narnian heretic, some Christian stuff
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 04:51:18 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;130600
I would too, and I agree with your assessment.  Teo may or may not be the right one to bear that particular cross... I think a bigger question is where could a C-P find a willing audience.

More relevant, I think, is: would anyone be willing to open up with their experiences, after the things that have been said about Christians/Christo-Pagans during this whole thing?
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 04:53:04 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;130549
Teo does say he might indeed end up as a Christo-Pagan.  What I get from his HuffPo piece is that this state of his spirituality is very much one of flux.  Suppose he stays on at TWH; does his identifying as no-longer-Pagan mean he no longer has anything of relevance or value to say to a broader Pagan audience?  If he goes back to the EC, which I understand to be pretty liberal, he can still be pagan friendly, and he's certainly no less qualified to speak on Pagan topics.  I don't know his intentions in this regard, but this is an opportunity for him to take on an interfaith role.

I think it depends upon how well connected he stays to the wider Pagan community as to how relevant his writings are and very much the type of topics he writing about.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 04:54:44 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;130602
More relevant, I think, is: would anyone be willing to open up with their experiences, after the things that have been said about Christians/Christo-Pagans during this whole thing?

Two answers: no and hell no.  I think Christo-Pagans in particular have learned to keep their light under a bushel.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 06:16:08 am »
Quote from: Altair;130421
Has there been discussion about this here in the Cauldron? If so, I missed it.

Maybe I'm naive but I've actually been surprised that so many people to be blunt, give a shit. It's his personal religious journey. I just don't give a damn.

I've never interacted with him and I'm fortunate enough to have a proto-grove I'm involved with so while I find the Solitary Druid Fellowship very useful and interesting I haven't been especially involved or aware of it.

I do find it interesting that there's such animosity from so man Pagans toward him and Christianity over it. I probably shouldn't be but I've made a conscious effort to stop being so reactive and hostile to Christianity. So it's weird.

(I'd like to say I've come a long way especially considering I was outed and lambasted by a so called 'Christian' and their posse a few years ago, but hey who is ever finished learning to not be an asshole?).

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2013, 09:34:10 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;130583
I woul actually really appreciate hearing more Christo-Pagan voices. They are not the evil importers they are represented as, but an under-represented an arguably oppressed minority within the Pagan community. Whether Teo is the right person to represent them is a different matter entirely.

I completely agree with everything you've said here.

I think Christo-Pagans are a really interesting facet of the Pagan community, and worth discussion.  Really, if that's the only god we as a community are going to quibble about adding to your personal pantheon, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  On the other hand, I think there are probably more people who could be called Christo-Pagans who stay in their very liberal Christian denominations, and we as a Pagan community just don't hear about or interact with them.  For instance, I attend a UU church where the majority believe in the Christian god they were raised with (except way nicer and with less extreme mood swings), but with a side of nature reverence and 'god-is-in-you'.  Do they identify as Christo-Pagans?  No.  But their beliefs and practices closely mirror others who do identify as such.  I think there's lots more with those types of beliefs than we think, they're just running with a different crowd.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 10:23:29 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;130575
Yes, TWH announced Teo's step-down at the beginning of last Wednesday's 'Unleash the Hounds' post.

Sunflower

Ahhh alright, I missed that. Thanks Sunflower!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 10:38:02 am »
Quote from: Aiwelin;130578

On this point, I agree with the quote that Jason from TWH posted - "I can hear Christian voices anywhere, I come here to hear Pagan voices".  I realize that people of other religions, especially those friendly to Paganism, have an interesting perspective; but really, it's not what I go to Pagan media to hear.  Of course, that's me personally, and it may be that there are many more others who would like to hear more about Paganism from other faiths' perspective.

This kind of hits it right on the nose for me, all aspects of it. Just because Teo is converting to Christianity, or may later identify as a Christo-Pagan, does not mean I believe he voice should not be heard. But I don't (irregularly) read The Wild Hunt, or other pagan media, to hear about conversion stories back to Christianity and what that's like? But I don't feel any sort of sense of betrayal, or that Teo should be silenced in the blogosphere.
On the Rivers

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 10:40:11 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;130582
He's left The Wild Hunt. (There was a strong suggestion that he was 'asked to leave'.)

Hmm. To be honest, I would hope it was done at least respectfully and not out of a sense that he should be valued as less of a person just because he converted. I don't believe he should be mistreated or disrespected for this at all, and I believe his words can still provide insight and validity.
On the Rivers

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Jack of Many Trades
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2013, 03:52:24 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;130600
I think a bigger question is where could a C-P find a willing audience.

Tumblr!

http://christowitch.tumblr.com/
http://bigredwings.tumblr.com/
http://goodwitchamunet.tumblr.com/
http://pagan-sea-witch.tumblr.com/
http://faithandmagick.tumblr.com/

And that was like five minutes in the christopagan tag.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2013, 06:13:45 pm »
Quote from: Jack;130645
Tumblr!

http://christowitch.tumblr.com/
http://bigredwings.tumblr.com/
http://goodwitchamunet.tumblr.com/
http://pagan-sea-witch.tumblr.com/
http://faithandmagick.tumblr.com/

And that was like five minutes in the christopagan tag.

Thanks! I've never used tumblr.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Jack of Many Trades
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2013, 10:48:21 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;130659
Thanks! I've never used tumblr.

No problem. I definitely do my fair share of bitching about tumblr, but it's also a platform where a lot of voices are finding air time that haven't really gotten it anywhere else.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2013, 10:58:48 pm »
Quote from: Sage;130431
I can't claim to support people's religious choices and be upset when they make them.

A) Yes, you can. Supporting someone is a choice, a behaviour. Emotion is not. You can still choose to support someone if their choice upsets you personally -- whether that's a religious choice they make or any other.

B) I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. Emotional reactions are emotional reactions. They happen. We have them. We don't choose what emotions we feel/states we go through.

People tend to conflate emotions and behaviour. Truth is you can feel a lot of things and not make decisions based on those feelings. I've been angry enough to want to physically hurt specific people before. I haven't. I made a choice not to. I found other outlets for my anger that didn't hurt anyone else.

While we can't help what emotions we go through, we can control what we do.

You didn't call up Teo and scream at him. You haven't been rallying people to hatred in the blogosphere. You had an emotional reaction, and you talked about it, here, in a thread that was created...to talk about peoples' reactions to this event. There is nothing wrong with that. You have not been out of line.

You are not required to apologize for your emotions.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic | Morag's Spindle
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Tags: