collapse

Author Topic: Syrian Christian patriarchates condemn strikes in Syria  (Read 1648 times)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Syrian Christian patriarchates condemn strikes in Syria
« on: April 15, 2018, 10:37:43 am »
Patriarchs John X, Ignatius Ephrem II, and Joseph of Antioch have issued an ecumenical statement condemning the joint strikes in Syria. Representing the Greek Orthodox, Syrian Orthodox, and Melkite Greek Catholic churches respectively the three Patriarchs spoke out against the 'brutal' and 'unjust' aggression of the missile strikes, referred to allegations of chemical weapons usage by the Syrian government as 'unjustified and unsupported', and praised the Syrian Arab Army for it's 'courage [and] heroism'. They also called upon Christian churches in the West to condemn the strikes and underlined the strikes' escalation of the threat posed by terrorism.

Direct source.

Although the statement didn't represent all the Christian jurisdictions in Syria, as it wasn't joined by the Syriac and Maronite Catholic colleagues of the signatories, it's still a significant rebuke; and fully in line with the support of the Syrian government which has always been expressed by all the Christian jurisdictions of Syria. Although they didn't join in the statement this time around both the Syriac and Maronite patriarchs have openly supported the Syrian government over the span of the Civil War; and I'm interested to see what their responses to the strikes and preceding allegations will be if they haven't said something already.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Re: Syrian Christian patriarchates condemn strikes in Syria
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:51:30 pm »
the three Patriarchs spoke out against the 'brutal' and 'unjust' aggression of the missile strikes, referred to allegations of chemical weapons usage by the Syrian government as 'unjustified and unsupported', and praised the Syrian Arab Army for it's 'courage [and] heroism'. They also called upon Christian churches in the West to condemn the strikes and underlined the strikes' escalation of the threat posed by terrorism.

That sounds reasonable to me. The strikes DO escalate terror; groups such as ISIS actually want the west to kill Muslim civilians, so that people will get angry and they will get more recruits. They serve as kindling for the flame of radical Islamic Jihad. They also do, indeed, kill many innocent civilians whose only crime is living in the wrong part of the world at the wrong time in history.

Needless to say, indiscriminately bombing people is inconsistent with Christian theology and morality. In the middle ages, even the use of missile weapons was frowned upon by the Papacy because archers couldn't be sure who they were killing when they fired. The same principle can be applied here, on an even larger scale.

Good on those holy men for speaking in unison against what they believe is wrong.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 12:19:20 am »
Patriarchs John X, Ignatius Ephrem II, and Joseph of Antioch have issued an ecumenical statement condemning the joint strikes in Syria. Representing the Greek Orthodox, Syrian Orthodox, and Melkite Greek Catholic churches respectively the three Patriarchs spoke out against the 'brutal' and 'unjust' aggression of the missile strikes, referred to allegations of chemical weapons usage by the Syrian government as 'unjustified and unsupported', and praised the Syrian Arab Army for it's 'courage [and] heroism'. They also called upon Christian churches in the West to condemn the strikes and underlined the strikes' escalation of the threat posed by terrorism.

Direct source.

Although the statement didn't represent all the Christian jurisdictions in Syria, as it wasn't joined by the Syriac and Maronite Catholic colleagues of the signatories, it's still a significant rebuke; and fully in line with the support of the Syrian government which has always been expressed by all the Christian jurisdictions of Syria. Although they didn't join in the statement this time around both the Syriac and Maronite patriarchs have openly supported the Syrian government over the span of the Civil War; and I'm interested to see what their responses to the strikes and preceding allegations will be if they haven't said something already.

Do you know if they have also opposed air strikes by the Syrian government and/or the Russian military?
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 01:14:18 am »
Do you know if they have also opposed air strikes by the Syrian government and/or the Russian military?

Not off the top of my head, but I highly doubt it. Even if not officially *supportive* of Russia most Eastern Orthodox jurisdictions regardless of location tend to be very sympathetic to Moscow as a rule; but more importantly I'm sure all the Patriarchates -- Catholic included -- know where their bread is buttered. The Syrian government under Assad was and remains deeply amenable to Syrian Christianity, and there are very real (and IMO very well-founded) fears that without Assad the country's Christian population would be at the mercy of whoever filled the void. While they may have condemned Syro-Russian actions during the war and I just never saw it, the fact remains that to do so would be highly unwise.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 01:21:19 pm »
Not off the top of my head, but I highly doubt it. Even if not officially *supportive* of Russia most Eastern Orthodox jurisdictions regardless of location tend to be very sympathetic to Moscow as a rule; but more importantly I'm sure all the Patriarchates -- Catholic included -- know where their bread is buttered. The Syrian government under Assad was and remains deeply amenable to Syrian Christianity, and there are very real (and IMO very well-founded) fears that without Assad the country's Christian population would be at the mercy of whoever filled the void. While they may have condemned Syro-Russian actions during the war and I just never saw it, the fact remains that to do so would be highly unwise.

It is understandable that a religious minority in a precarious position would want to prioritize self-preservation. I'm not a fan of the Assad government, but I can understand the feeling among some Syrian Christians that the alternatives could be much worse for them.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Tags: