Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pat Robertson Strikes Again  (Read 7821 times)

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Pat Robertson Strikes Again...
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 06:33:44 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;21627
Or struck down for putting words in his deity's mouth.  Which ever would be more entertaining.

Ultimately, both at the same time would be the most entertaining...... :ange:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Miss

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 07:00:43 pm »
Quote from: Mea;20213
http://news.yahoo.com/pat-robertson-says-alzheimers-makes-divorce-ok-000952197.html

* head desk *      Will he Ever stop with the nonesense ?  !   Guess i'm still of the 'old school' where a promise - was a vow - was a committment - was to be held to.

I'm not 100% sure on Alzheimers, but I have some unfortunate experience with dementia.

My grandma has this, and she's not truly the same person. Sometimes I feel like she's just an empty shell with fingerprints of what used to be her. It's really hard.

It's easy to say that you'll always be there them, but living with someone with mental degeneration is miserable. Here's someone you've loved all your life, but they're not the same person anymore.

I used to clean her house when her knee was having issues, help make her food, but she couldn't appreciate it. When one of her cats died (he was 15 years old!) she accused me of poisoning it. She would call me names, said I've never done anything for her and would credit my other siblings for the clean house. "Why can't you be more like your brother?" She never said those things before she had dementia.She used to be really sweet...

Now, you can say I should have done nice things for her without expecting credit for them...but going there and being told how I'm a heartless, godless girl who killed her cat? Only so much I can take.

Then my grandma started endangering herself and and couldn't even bathe herself so a nursing home was inevitable. Any visit would just end in her throwing a temper tantrum. She never remembered previous visits. She'd just yell at us for not coming sooner, even if we were there the day before.

So when I think of a husband leaving a wife with mental degeneration, I have to consider what life must be like for him. Your spouse is one of the most important persons through your life, and when their mind goes their face is just a reminder of someone they've lost...because they're really not the same person anymore.

As long as he puts the wife in the best nursing home they can afford (or hire an in-home nurse) I find it hard to make a monster out of the guy. He shouldn't have to live the rest of his days miserable should he?

LyricFox

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 07:12:36 pm »
Quote from: Miss;22668

As long as he puts the wife in the best nursing home they can afford (or hire an in-home nurse) I find it hard to make a monster out of the guy. He shouldn't have to live the rest of his days miserable should he?

I don't find it hard at all if the idiot is supposed to be Christian. Small matter of those vows he took before his god.
Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts\' Store: Doxy\'s Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 07:15:54 pm »
Quote from: Miss;22668

Of course not, but that isn't the point.  Here's a guy who 'doesn't believe in' divorce because his god decreed against it.  He is being hypocritical by declaring this particular loophole.  There are many other good reasons for divorce he does not acknowledge, but he has decided that since mental degeneration is 'like' death it doesn't contravene the 'til death do us part' part of marriage.  It makes me wonder what other things he will find convenient to declare to be 'like death', depending on what his financial supporters want.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

LyricFox

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 07:24:37 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;22671
Of course not, but that isn't the point.  Here's a guy who 'doesn't believe in' divorce because his god decreed against it.  He is being hypocritical by declaring this particular loophole.  There are many other good reasons for divorce he does not acknowledge, but he has decided that since mental degeneration is 'like' death it doesn't contravene the 'til death do us part' part of marriage.  It makes me wonder what other things he will find convenient to declare to be 'like death', depending on what his financial supporters want.

Absent

This.

(Which is what I get for posting when I have to go in the kitchen to get dinner ready.)
Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts\' Store: Doxy\'s Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Miss

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 08:03:38 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/pat-robertson-says-alzheimers-makes-divorce-ok-000952197.html

* head desk *      Will he Ever stop with the nonesense ?  !   Guess i'm still of the 'old school' where a promise - was a vow - was a committment - was to be held to.

Quote from: LyricFox;22670
I don't find it hard at all if the idiot is supposed to be Christian. Small matter of those vows he took before his god.

Ah, I see. I didn't read through the entire thread, so I was just going by the OP's "Guess i'm still of the 'old school' where a promise - was a vow - was a committment - was to be held to." I thought that was the OP's words. Oopsie daisy.

Guess I'm just used to hearing excuses for un-Christian behavior through personal interpretations,too. My family are crazy southern baptists =P

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 11:27:36 am »

What I got out of his this statement was, it's fine to toss her on the rubbish heap when she's lost her usefulness. Especially if you have to take care of her now. After all, it's the wife's job to take care of the husband! Since she can't do that anymore, she's worthless. She might as well be dead.

However, since she's not actually dead you'd better get a divorce first because infidelity is still a sin. Don't worry, god will understand that she's dead to you. He won't hold you to your vows, so long as you make it legal.

Even though the legalities of marriage are supposed to be less important than the "in the eyes of god" part... isn't that one of their arguments against SSM?

Oh, and what about all that right to life BS when it comes to life support and abortion? Um okay, someone who can't breath for themselves, has no brain function and will never wake up is a living person. A three week old fetus is a living person, but an Alzheimer's patient is "kind of" dead?

You can't have it both ways Pat, so pick a stance and stick to it or STFU!

Ugh, hypocritical BS from the wingnuts never fails to piss me off. Sorry, rant over.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:28:51 am by Catherine »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 05:58:21 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;22775
Oh, and what about all that right to life BS when it comes to life support and abortion? Um okay, someone who can't breath for themselves, has no brain function and will never wake up is a living person. A three week old fetus is a living person, but an Alzheimer's patient is "kind of" dead?

You can't have it both ways Pat, so pick a stance and stick to it or STFU!

Of course they can have it both ways -- after all, Pat has a direct line to God and if Pat says it, God surely agrees. ::sigh:: I've actually heard just about that from Pat's supporters.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Pat Robertson Strikes Again
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 06:10:47 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;22855
Of course they can have it both ways -- after all, Pat has a direct line to God and if Pat says it, God surely agrees. ::sigh:: I've actually heard just about that from Pat's supporters.

Is anyone else imagining God yelling "Stop calling me!" and slamming down his phone?  And then the phone rings again, so God tells Pat something horrible as a way to punish him?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 06:19:36 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;22858
Is anyone else imagining God yelling "Stop calling me!" and slamming down his phone?

*snicker*

Goes along with the sentiment "Jesus, save me from your followers!"

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2011, 08:55:59 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;22858
Is anyone else imagining God yelling "Stop calling me!" and slamming down his phone?  And then the phone rings again, so God tells Pat something horrible as a way to punish him?

I've been envisioning the first bit all through this thread (it follows "I wish he would strike" like night follows day, in my mind).  The second bit hadn't occurred to me - it's a gratifying image... though on second thought, I'm not sure how well the "punish" part is working.  (Mysterious ways, maybe, and mills grinding slowly but exceeding small.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2011, 04:13:09 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;23192
The second bit hadn't occurred to me - it's a gratifying image... though on second thought, I'm not sure how well the "punish" part is working.  (Mysterious ways, maybe, and mills grinding slowly but exceeding small.)

As a way to discredit him by making him look crazy to anyone who is not one of his followers?

My Spiritual Blog

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2011, 07:11:00 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;23249
As a way to discredit him by making him look crazy to anyone who is not one of his followers?

Yeah, but the trouble is that he doesn't give a shit what us godless sinners think of him, so it doesn't have a punishing effect.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2011, 07:18:26 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;23337
Yeah, but the trouble is that he doesn't give a shit what us godless sinners think of him, so it doesn't have a punishing effect.

Oh well, maybe God just has a spot for him ready in hell.

My Spiritual Blog

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2011, 04:01:12 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;23338
Oh well, maybe God just has a spot for him ready in hell.

Well, he is....um, special. :whis:

Tags: