collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 21 October 2020: $558 donated. Only $152 more needed! Thank you, donors!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* Recent Posts

Re: Developing and Nurturing a Positive Mindset by Sefiru
[October 19, 2020, 07:12:35 pm]


Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by entwife
[October 19, 2020, 12:06:02 pm]


Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by PerditaPickle
[October 19, 2020, 07:15:27 am]


Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by ehbowen
[October 18, 2020, 09:50:51 pm]


Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by entwife
[October 18, 2020, 03:14:20 pm]

Author Topic: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?  (Read 3021 times)

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 02:17:32 am »
Quote from: Finn;45695
I probably would have started handing him Star Trek DVDs.

 
I would think NASA would be more the 'ancient aliens' fans....

btw,thank you all for an amusing thread! lol
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 07:09:26 am »
Quote from: RandallS;45651
From actually reading the article, it appears he was fired for continuing to harass his co-workers about his Intelligent design beliefs even after receiving a written warning because said co-workers complained about his harassment. No sympathy from me on this one.

 
I zoom in on the harassment side of the issue.

Talking to co-workers who are mildly interested in a controversial (for the specific location) topic is acceptable. Same for handing out DVDs to such mildly interested people.

Believing in ID while working at NASA is odd, but should not be grounds by itself, for action.  So long as the work submitted is scientically correct And he doesn't try to use his connection with NASA to promote ID his beliefs are up to him.

Agree with Randall, no sympathy for him due to his harassing co-workers over it.

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3045
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 409
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 07:58:58 am »
Quote from: Finn;45695
I probably would have started handing him Star Trek DVDs.


I did that once, when I was working in comics:

I'd just gotten the latest issue of a horror comic I was writing and was checking out the final product on a fine summer day in the park. Cue bible thumpers who'd bussed themselves in from Mennonite country for the day, to sing psalms or whatever to the damned of Sodom (a.k.a. NYC). In between lifeless renditions, they'd spew offensive condemnations of me and mine (a.k.a. the queers) and send their wimple-clad kiddies forth with hare-brained propaganda (a.k.a. "literature") to hand to the masses.

One of them handed a flyer to me with a smile.

I smiled back, thanked her, and said that since she'd given me literature, it was only fair that she take a look at mine--and handed her the comic.

It took less than a second: Her father was next to us in a flash and slapped the comic out of her hand, dashing it to the ground as if it was a deadly pit viper. He then handed it back to me. "We don't allow her such things," he said.

I took my comic and walked away, trying to hide my blooming grin. He didn't know it, but that dad had almost certainly just turned his daughter into a comic book reader for life.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10250
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 272
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 08:34:42 am »
Quote from: Altair;45711
I took my comic and walked away, trying to hide my blooming grin. He didn't know it, but that dad had almost certainly just turned his daughter into a comic book reader for life.

LOL. And you likely have.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

mandrina

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 890
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 10:10:29 am »
Quote from: Altair;45711
I did that once, when I was working in comics:

I'd just gotten the latest issue of a horror comic I was writing and was checking out the final product on a fine summer day in the park. Cue bible thumpers who'd bussed themselves in from Mennonite country for the day, to sing psalms or whatever to the damned of Sodom (a.k.a. NYC). In between lifeless renditions, they'd spew offensive condemnations of me and mine (a.k.a. the queers) and send their wimple-clad kiddies forth with hare-brained propaganda (a.k.a. "literature") to hand to the masses.

One of them handed a flyer to me with a smile.

I smiled back, thanked her, and said that since she'd given me literature, it was only fair that she take a look at mine--and handed her the comic.

It took less than a second: Her father was next to us in a flash and slapped the comic out of her hand, dashing it to the ground as if it was a deadly pit viper. He then handed it back to me. "We don't allow her such things," he said.

I took my comic and walked away, trying to hide my blooming grin. He didn't know it, but that dad had almost certainly just turned his daughter into a comic book reader for life.


I'll bet she has a stash now, hidden somewhere around the grounds of the house or farm.  He should have let her read it and talk about it with him, chances are then she'd have looked at a couple pages, made a face, and handed it back (unless of course, she's a natural horror fan).

Of course my plan for the teen boy porno stash is just to let him know he didn't hide it well enough.  (given how often I clean their rooms, or go in to hunt for something, this would mean he probably didn't hide it at all.)  So since I found it, we have to talk about what kind it is and what it means.  I figure this will at least make sure I don't ever find it again.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3045
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 409
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 02:30:42 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;45726
Of course my plan for the teen boy porno stash is just to let him know he didn't hide it well enough.  (given how often I clean their rooms, or go in to hunt for something, this would mean he probably didn't hide it at all.)  So since I found it, we have to talk about what kind it is and what it means.  I figure this will at least make sure I don't ever find it again.



Eww. Finding other people's porno stash is gross. (It so rarely coincides with one's own conception of what makes good porno.) Finding the stash of your own progeny must be doubly so.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 02:55:52 pm »
Quote from: Altair;45750
Eww. Finding other people's porno stash is gross. (It so rarely coincides with one's own conception of what makes good porno.) Finding the stash of your own progeny must be doubly so.


It is truly awful and, in our house, led to a child filter on the computer until he was old enough to understand what he was looking at along with a discussion that made all of us go "squick".
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

mandrina

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 890
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 10:02:59 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;45751
It is truly awful and, in our house, led to a child filter on the computer until he was old enough to understand what he was looking at along with a discussion that made all of us go "squick".

 

well so far, my plan is only a plan, as I haven't found anything yet, and the applicable kids are 18 and 13, soon to be 19 and 14. On the computer isn't a problem yet, there is too much ed, edd, and eddie and video games available on there.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 02:24:21 am »
Quote from: mandrina;45803
well so far, my plan is only a plan, as I haven't found anything yet, and the applicable kids are 18 and 13, soon to be 19 and 14. On the computer isn't a problem yet, there is too much ed, edd, and eddie and video games available on there.

 
a previous relation ship I was in I found his stash once: one of the couples in his mag had the same names as me and him...O.o that weirded me out.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

mlr52

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 781
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 03:18:58 pm »
Quote from: Finn;45695
I probably would have started handing him Star Trek DVDs.

 
Star Trek V is the one.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3045
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 409
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 04:58:34 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;45861
Star Trek V is the one.

 
What, you're trying to torture him?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Melamphoros

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2744
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 05:09:35 pm »
Quote from: Altair;45870
What, you're trying to torture him?

And torturing him is a bad thing because....?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:10:11 pm by Melamphoros »


Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2471
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 181
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 05:21:40 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;45872
And torturing him is a bad thing because....?

Star Trek V is pretty bad....
Oh, is it time again to say "Fuck Trump gently in the ear with a swarm of pissed-off hornets?"?

Okay. Fuck Trump gently in the ear with a swarm of pissed-off hornets.

Finn

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 860
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 05:54:35 pm »
Quote from: Altair;45870
What, you're trying to torture him?

 
:ange:  Odds are it's at least as good as the DVDs he's handing out...

(I ain't giving him Khan, that's for sure. Like giving caviar in exchange for sardines.)
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Rhyshadow

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 717
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nasa worker fired for believing in intelligent design?
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 05:55:25 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;45873
Star Trek V is pretty bad....


Ya, toss up between that one and Nemesis as the worst Trek film

Though Uhura's dance scene in V almost saves it

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
1222 Views
Last post November 09, 2012, 11:55:05 am
by Catherine
10 Replies
1415 Views
Last post November 01, 2014, 08:04:15 pm
by MadZealot
3 Replies
1117 Views
Last post February 26, 2017, 10:31:47 am
by ehbowen
2 Replies
671 Views
Last post January 04, 2018, 10:30:29 pm
by ehbowen
9 Replies
1731 Views
Last post September 05, 2019, 07:07:11 pm
by Dragonoake

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 51
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal