collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 Sept 2019: $660 donated. $10 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink  (Read 1094 times)

Breeze

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 249
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« on: December 24, 2013, 05:44:36 pm »
Dorothy Morrison took a trip to New Orleans recently and posted some pictures of Marie Laveau's tomb which has been painted pepto bismol pink.  She, I, and several other people are absolutely outraged about this because the tomb has always been white or covered in the customary XXX's.  I've been following this thread on her facebook page for about a week now and it's still a hot topic.  Some people are saying it was vandalism, some are saying it was the family's doing, and some are saying that it's for an upcoming AHS:Coven episode.  Here's an article with pictures from the Examiner about it, which is really the only coverage I've found about it.  What the article doesn't state, that Dorothy observed in person, was that they also painted over the marble plaque, and threw the remaining paint down the sewer drain.

I'm not a vodouisant and have never been to New Orleans, but Marie has always held a special place in my heart and, in my opinion, painting the tomb this color and this way is an egregious affront to the dead.

Juni

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
Re: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:53:30 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;133868


 
I really, really hope someone didn't paint a tomb pink for a television show. That would be... unbelievably distasteful.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

Breeze

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 249
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 06:01:14 pm »
Quote from: Juni;133869
I really, really hope someone didn't paint a tomb pink for a television show. That would be... unbelievably distasteful.

 
Me too.  I think that's probably the worst of all the suggestions.  I love AHS, and specifically this season, but there are some things you just don't do for a tv show, and painting over the dead's resting place is not one of them.

Emma Eldritch

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 67
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:02:27 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;133868
Dorothy Morrison took a trip to New Orleans recently and posted some pictures of Marie Laveau's tomb which has been painted pepto bismol pink.  She, I, and several other people are absolutely outraged about this because the tomb has always been white or covered in the customary XXX's.  I've been following this thread on her facebook page for about a week now and it's still a hot topic.  Some people are saying it was vandalism, some are saying it was the family's doing, and some are saying that it's for an upcoming AHS:Coven episode.  Here's an article with pictures from the Examiner about it, which is really the only coverage I've found about it.  What the article doesn't state, that Dorothy observed in person, was that they also painted over the marble plaque, and threw the remaining paint down the sewer drain.

I'm not a vodouisant and have never been to New Orleans, but Marie has always held a special place in my heart and, in my opinion, painting the tomb this color and this way is an egregious affront to the dead.

 
...huh.

Not a real news source but some additional info here.

I suppose if they have to repaint it all the time anyway it's not the worst thing ever (god knows all the Xs will be put back) but the colour choice is certainly interesting. And as much as I haaaaaaaaaaaate AHS, I doubt it was the show's fault.

Juni

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
Re: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 06:14:10 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;133873
. And as much as I haaaaaaaaaaaate AHS, I doubt it was the show's fault.

 
I would like to know why AHS got mentioned to begin with- do they film in the area, are they known for damaging or significantly altering their filming locations?
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

Emma Eldritch

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 67
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 06:19:42 pm »
Quote from: Juni;133876
I would like to know why AHS got mentioned to begin with- do they film in the area, are they known for damaging or significantly altering their filming locations?

 
A lot of filming gets done in my city, and usually it's pretty easy to spot a crew doing something like, oh, painting a grave. So yeah, unless someone actually saw some guys with walkie talkies and a foodtruck near the cemetery around the same time, I doubt very much it's AHS. It's probably just a way to get more clicks for the story since it's popular.

Emma Eldritch

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 67
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 03:41:41 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;133877
A lot of filming gets done in my city, and usually it's pretty easy to spot a crew doing something like, oh, painting a grave. So yeah, unless someone actually saw some guys with walkie talkies and a foodtruck near the cemetery around the same time, I doubt very much it's AHS. It's probably just a way to get more clicks for the story since it's popular.

 
Follow up articles:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-mystery-of-the-pink-tomb-has-been-solved

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/12/repair_of_marie_laveaus_tomb_t.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Breeze

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 249
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 01:26:05 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;134475
Follow up articles:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-mystery-of-the-pink-tomb-has-been-solved

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/12/repair_of_marie_laveaus_tomb_t.html#incart_m-rpt-2


Thanks for the update!  It makes my mind rest a little easier to know that it wasn't outright, ill-intentioned vandalism.  I'm also glad that they've found someone to restore the tombs involved, not just Marie's.

RandallS

  • Administrator
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10142
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 241
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 07:56:44 am »
Quote from: Breeze;134512
I'm also glad that they've found someone to restore the tombs involved, not just Marie's.

Agreed.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Shadow

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 172
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 03:41:21 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;133868
Dorothy Morrison took a trip to New Orleans recently and posted some pictures of Marie Laveau's tomb which has been painted pepto bismol pink.  She, I, and several other people are absolutely outraged about this because the tomb has always been white or covered in the customary XXX's.  I've been following this thread on her facebook page for about a week now and it's still a hot topic.  Some people are saying it was vandalism, some are saying it was the family's doing, and some are saying that it's for an upcoming AHS:Coven episode.  Here's an article with pictures from the Examiner about it, which is really the only coverage I've found about it.  What the article doesn't state, that Dorothy observed in person, was that they also painted over the marble plaque, and threw the remaining paint down the sewer drain.

I'm not a vodouisant and have never been to New Orleans, but Marie has always held a special place in my heart and, in my opinion, painting the tomb this color and this way is an egregious affront to the dead.

 
Possibly slightly off topic but when I visited her tomb on a trip a few years back we were told that the Xs are also vandalism and the family find them both disrespectful and upsetting.

Also, since Easy Rider, they do not allow anyone to actually film in any of their cemeteries any more (iirc) or at the very least they don't allow it in that one.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
905 Views
Last post August 17, 2012, 08:05:06 pm
by IceAngie
0 Replies
1755 Views
Last post May 30, 2014, 12:15:03 am
by KendrikDmer
0 Replies
460 Views
Last post September 14, 2015, 12:00:45 pm
by RandallS
0 Replies
454 Views
Last post September 09, 2017, 01:17:27 pm
by Dragonoake
4 Replies
528 Views
Last post March 13, 2019, 02:46:39 am
by Eastling

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall