collapse

Author Topic: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink  (Read 1762 times)

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« on: December 24, 2013, 05:44:36 pm »
Dorothy Morrison took a trip to New Orleans recently and posted some pictures of Marie Laveau's tomb which has been painted pepto bismol pink.  She, I, and several other people are absolutely outraged about this because the tomb has always been white or covered in the customary XXX's.  I've been following this thread on her facebook page for about a week now and it's still a hot topic.  Some people are saying it was vandalism, some are saying it was the family's doing, and some are saying that it's for an upcoming AHS:Coven episode.  Here's an article with pictures from the Examiner about it, which is really the only coverage I've found about it.  What the article doesn't state, that Dorothy observed in person, was that they also painted over the marble plaque, and threw the remaining paint down the sewer drain.

I'm not a vodouisant and have never been to New Orleans, but Marie has always held a special place in my heart and, in my opinion, painting the tomb this color and this way is an egregious affront to the dead.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Marie Laveau's Tomb painted pepto-pink
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:53:30 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;133868

I really, really hope someone didn't paint a tomb pink for a television show. That would be... unbelievably distasteful.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 06:01:14 pm »
Quote from: Juni;133869
I really, really hope someone didn't paint a tomb pink for a television show. That would be... unbelievably distasteful.

Me too.  I think that's probably the worst of all the suggestions.  I love AHS, and specifically this season, but there are some things you just don't do for a tv show, and painting over the dead's resting place is not one of them.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:02:27 pm »
Dorothy Morrison took a trip to New Orleans recently and posted some pictures of Marie Laveau's tomb which has been painted pepto bismol pink.  She, I, and several other people are absolutely outraged about this because the tomb has always been white or covered in the customary XXX's.  I've been following this thread on her facebook page for about a week now and it's still a hot topic.  Some people are saying it was vandalism, some are saying it was the family's doing, and some are saying that it's for an upcoming AHS:Coven episode.  Here's an article with pictures from the Examiner about it, which is really the only coverage I've found about it.  What the article doesn't state, that Dorothy observed in person, was that they also painted over the marble plaque, and threw the remaining paint down the sewer drain.

I'm not a vodouisant and have never been to New Orleans, but Marie has always held a special place in my heart and, in my opinion, painting the tomb this color and this way is an egregious affront to the dead.

...huh.

Not a real news source but some additional info here.

I suppose if they have to repaint it all the time anyway it's not the worst thing ever (god knows all the Xs will be put back) but the colour choice is certainly interesting. And as much as I haaaaaaaaaaaate AHS, I doubt it was the show's fault.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 06:14:10 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;133873
. And as much as I haaaaaaaaaaaate AHS, I doubt it was the show's fault.

I would like to know why AHS got mentioned to begin with- do they film in the area, are they known for damaging or significantly altering their filming locations?
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 06:19:42 pm »
Quote from: Juni;133876
I would like to know why AHS got mentioned to begin with- do they film in the area, are they known for damaging or significantly altering their filming locations?

A lot of filming gets done in my city, and usually it's pretty easy to spot a crew doing something like, oh, painting a grave. So yeah, unless someone actually saw some guys with walkie talkies and a foodtruck near the cemetery around the same time, I doubt very much it's AHS. It's probably just a way to get more clicks for the story since it's popular.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 03:41:41 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;133877
A lot of filming gets done in my city, and usually it's pretty easy to spot a crew doing something like, oh, painting a grave. So yeah, unless someone actually saw some guys with walkie talkies and a foodtruck near the cemetery around the same time, I doubt very much it's AHS. It's probably just a way to get more clicks for the story since it's popular.

Follow up articles:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-mystery-of-the-pink-tomb-has-been-solved

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/12/repair_of_marie_laveaus_tomb_t.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 01:26:05 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;134475
Follow up articles:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-mystery-of-the-pink-tomb-has-been-solved

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/12/repair_of_marie_laveaus_tomb_t.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Thanks for the update!  It makes my mind rest a little easier to know that it wasn't outright, ill-intentioned vandalism.  I'm also glad that they've found someone to restore the tombs involved, not just Marie's.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 07:56:44 am »
Quote from: Breeze;134512
I'm also glad that they've found someone to restore the tombs involved, not just Marie's.

Agreed.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 03:41:21 pm »

Possibly slightly off topic but when I visited her tomb on a trip a few years back we were told that the Xs are also vandalism and the family find them both disrespectful and upsetting.

Also, since Easy Rider, they do not allow anyone to actually film in any of their cemeteries any more (iirc) or at the very least they don't allow it in that one.

Tags: