collapse

Author Topic: Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays  (Read 984 times)

Asch

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 883
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:41:42 pm »
Honestly I think it'd be nice if all government owned/maintained structures and locations stayed out of religion/religious displays all together.

Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:46:28 pm »
Quote from: Asch;81643
Honestly I think it'd be nice if all government owned/maintained structures and locations stayed out of religion/religious displays all together.

Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays

 
In this case the atheists have basically gotten the point. Last year they won the bidding for spaces, so this year the city shut it down.

RandallS

  • Administrator
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10127
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 235
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:28:09 pm »
Quote from: sailor;81658
In this case the atheists have basically gotten the point. Last year they won the bidding for spaces, so this year the city shut it down.

However, iot doesn't look like the city shut it down because the atheists won, but because the churches that did not win caused so much trouble.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2442
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 144
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:39:10 pm »
Quote from: sailor;81658
In this case the atheists have basically gotten the point. Last year they won the bidding for spaces, so this year the city shut it down.

Which was probably the atheists' end goal.  Because 'freedom of religion' really means 'freedom from religion.'
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:42:30 pm by MadZealot »
Superman is uncircumcised. Change my mind.

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2442
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 144
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 06:47:05 pm »
Quote from: Asch;81643
Honestly I think it'd be nice if all government owned/maintained structures and locations stayed out of religion/religious displays all together.


On the other hand the people should be free to exercise their Constitutionally protected rights of speech and free exercise in the public forum, and on the public land which is theirs by right.
Superman is uncircumcised. Change my mind.

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:39 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;81674
On the other hand the people should be free to exercise their Constitutionally protected rights of speech and free exercise in the public forum, and on the public land which is theirs by right.

 
That's the balancing act.  When does use of city space for a fixed display get the city to involved in deciding Who gets to use it at a given time. Often the simple way to eliminate the controversy (and expenses, etc) is to shut down the entire concept.

mandrina

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 890
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 10:24:10 am »
Quote from: sailor;81677
That's the balancing act.  When does use of city space for a fixed display get the city to involved in deciding Who gets to use it at a given time. Often the simple way to eliminate the controversy (and expenses, etc) is to shut down the entire concept.

 
wouldn't have been a problem if people hadn't vandalised the signs.  all the churches would have had to do was outbid the other guys, if I understood correctly.  would have cost them a bit more money, but that's all
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 12:01:02 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;81744
wouldn't have been a problem if people hadn't vandalised the signs.  all the churches would have had to do was outbid the other guys, if I understood correctly.  would have cost them a bit more money, but that's all

 
The idea of having Any group bid for display space is actually a neat idea, but I suspect is actually illegal under disparate impact.

Holdasown

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2011
  • Location: West Virginia
  • Posts: 398
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 7
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
Re: Judge plans to deny bid for park Nativity displays
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 02:40:15 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;81744
wouldn't have been a problem if people hadn't vandalised the signs.  all the churches would have had to do was outbid the other guys, if I understood correctly.  would have cost them a bit more money, but that's all


That was my impression as well.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
134 Replies
10541 Views
Last post February 26, 2013, 06:11:41 pm
by Owl
6 Replies
1358 Views
Last post May 23, 2012, 01:48:52 am
by Sharysa
29 Replies
8523 Views
Last post September 12, 2016, 05:23:12 pm
by PerditaPickle
138 Replies
13095 Views
Last post September 23, 2014, 11:46:30 pm
by MadZealot
0 Replies
581 Views
Last post September 17, 2015, 07:11:20 pm
by RandallS

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall