Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Debate over Christians' right to refer to God as 'Allah' results in first-ever raid.  (Read 3461 times)

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Quote from: Chatelaine;135984
You can always give her a peek of the Orthodox Study Bible and have her screaming 'idols' before she even notices the 'extra' books! :whis:

Good idea, but she is 82, no way to get them past her.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Quote from: mlr52;135925
The problem with using just the word God is that it is impercise.  Putting the word Allah in the Bible, because of ancient useage would lead one to think of the Muslim God, not the Trinity, or the Hebrew God of the Old Testement.

Only for values of "one" who are catastrophically ignorant of what words mean.  Who, I would argue, should probably not be making decisions about words, due to lack of qualifications.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Darkhawk;136043
Only for values of "one" who are catastrophically ignorant of what words mean.  Who, I would argue, should probably not be making decisions about words, due to lack of qualifications.

If three people read or hear the name God, do all three think of the same enity?
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: mlr52;136068
If three people read or hear the name God, do all three think of the same enity?

The nice thing about reading, and conversation, is that words that would otherwise be ambiguous have this nifty thing called context.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Juni;136072
The nice thing about reading, and conversation, is that words that would otherwise be ambiguous have this nifty thing called context.

Normally yes, but not always so with God.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Quote from: mlr52;135906
Seems like a provaction from whoever provided the bibles, it is not an opps.

No.

The bibles shouldn't have been seized.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: mlr52;136078
Normally yes, but not always so with God.

I don't understand. How could context not be important here? I would think that "God" should always be understood in context, since there are so many possible conceptions of who/what God is.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh Bríd
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Quote from: beachglass;136085
I don't understand. How could context not be important here? I would think that "God" should always be understood in context, since there are so many possible conceptions of who/what God is.

^^^ This.
I talk to plants.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: beachglass;136085

That is why I say God is an imprecise word.  Saying God of the Bible to three differerent people can return more than three understandings of what is meant.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Quote from: mlr52;136093
That is why I say God is an imprecise word.  Saying God of the Bible to three differerent people can return more than three understandings of what is meant.

Triple that if you're trinitarian.  

Just sayin'.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: mlr52;136093

I think I must have misunderstood. I interpreted your reply to Juni as meaning that context was not always important with regards to the word "God," but it sounds like I should have read that as context is not always available.

I don't really agree with that for contemporary usages -- in the case being discussed here, for example, people have provided context with regards to the meaning of the word "Allah" in Arabic and why that usage would have migrated to Malaysia.

The context in a particular case might not be immediately apparent (and might even require a great deal of background knowledge), but unless we're talking about an historical culture for which we have little to no information, I would say it's more a question of required effort than availability.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Tags: