collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 Sept 2019: $660 donated. $10 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Botched Restoration  (Read 1775 times)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Botched Restoration...
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 09:01:11 am »
Quote from: yewberry;70377
And it reminds me of this.

That makes me want to howl. Or somehow get enough money to save any other guinea pigs to be in that shop. What do you mean it looks scruffy? I like scruffy! :mad:
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 11:54:01 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;70469
That makes me want to howl. Or somehow get enough money to save any other guinea pigs to be in that shop. What do you mean it looks scruffy? I like scruffy! :mad:

"...revel in what passes for restoration in New Jersey"

Oh, and I had to look up Snooki's pickles.  I guess I haven't watched enough Talk Soup after all.

Brina

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 12:45:58 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;70403
They were talking about this on NPR with an art restorer, Hopefully, the woman used stuff that is less sticky than what the artist used, and there might be a chance.  Maybe.

She also commented that this sort of thing is more common in the US, people try to clean a painting, muck it, try to fix it, much that up and show up at this lady's university's workshops that they hold, looking really embarrassed and begging for help.  If they've used something more long wearing than what the artist used, usually, there's nothing they can do.

That is just painful, but I definitely believe it happens more often than we realize. A lot of people seem to be self-proclaimed artists who really overestimate their own limits. Learning experiences are fun....? :whis:

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 01:49:59 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;70505
That is just painful, but I definitely believe it happens more often than we realize. A lot of people seem to be self-proclaimed artists who really overestimate their own limits. Learning experiences are fun....? :whis:

I think it happens a lot with antique furniture (as mentioned above).  In some instances, it's not so bad; there is a lot of furniture out there that you can find a dime a dozen, and the only "worth" it has will be sentimental, whether from a family perspective or like myself, one of "Wow. That's old. How many hands have touched it, and what are the stories?"

But then... I don't even want to think of the rest that are actually worth both sentimental and monetary value... not to mention historical value. Nards.
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 11:55:45 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;70512
I think it happens a lot with antique furniture (as mentioned above).  In some instances, it's not so bad; there is a lot of furniture out there that you can find a dime a dozen, and the only "worth" it has will be sentimental, whether from a family perspective or like myself, one of "Wow. That's old. How many hands have touched it, and what are the stories?"

But then... I don't even want to think of the rest that are actually worth both sentimental and monetary value... not to mention historical value. Nards.

I agree and for things of little value if the purpose has greater value then cool. It's personal and a congregation does have to share it. But if the purpose is restoration, why on earth would that priest have permitted someone who was not a professional? I don't get that.

I hope it can be repaired.

Amethyst

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://aamethyst.wordpress.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 09:01:00 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;70374

...which is why this article makes my heart ache.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/aug/22/spain-church-mural-ruin-restoration

I saw this a few days ago >.< And while the story itself is upsetting, the video was quite funny, I thought.

And whoever mentioned Curious George, I agree...when I first saw this I thought someone was comparing Jesus to a monkey.

Quote from: yewberry;70377
Horrifying.  And also tragicomic.  And it reminds me of this.

I literally winced when I opened that. It's like they went out of their way to not only alter them, but make them as horrendous as possible. In no way do those look good, and to top it off they ruined antiques.

Not sure if someone has posted this, but The Guardian did a follow up a few days later.

I do feel bad for that woman, although I'm not sure how she didn't notice the mistakes she was making while she did it. Either she painted the whole thing in less than a minute, or she did it with her eyes closed. I hope they can fix it!
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.//Serbian Proverb
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why.//Mark Twain
Member of the New Order of Druids//Greener Paths

Tags: