Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What do you do for the Gods?  (Read 4373 times)

Nehet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://youtu.be/_1GRj6CNSGg
What do you do for the Gods?
« on: July 03, 2011, 09:01:07 pm »
I think it's time to "break in" the new Kemetic SIG, so I'll start with something simple.

What type of work, if any, do you do on the Gods' behalf?  Ritual work?  Creative work?  Any sort of volunteering or community outreach?  

Do you feel that this type of work strengthens your connections to the Gods?  Do you feel that it enriches your own life in some way?  If so, how?
See, life is but a movement of eternal return.  Even Trees fall ~ Berlin papyrus 3024, (A man tired of life).

Live, Ausir, for all time and all eternity! Ankh Neheh Djet!

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: What do you do for the Gods?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 10:55:46 pm »
Quote from: Nehet;527
What type of work, if any, do you do on the Gods' behalf?  Ritual work?  Creative work?  Any sort of volunteering or community outreach?  

Do you feel that this type of work strengthens your connections to the Gods?  Do you feel that it enriches your own life in some way?  If so, how?

I've never bothered doing anything "extra" for my deities. I was pretty much a "here's some food, enjoy" kind of a gal. If I were to do something on my goddess's behalf, I think donating blood on a regular basis would be considerably appropriate.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:09:08 pm »
I think it's time to "break in" the new Kemetic SIG, so I'll start with something simple.

I'm writing a book on Aset for Aset.  I do dream work and have between world type experiences that Aset has told me is because of Her.  I write poetry for Aset too and I channel Her sometimes in poetry.  I practice divination too.  

For Nebet Het, I write poetry mostly.  

I do ritual and give offerings to them regularly.  I feel all of this has strengthened my relationship with them.  I also bead necklaces for them.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:10:16 pm by SatAset »
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Bezenwepwy

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://nefersedt.livejournal.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:43:00 am »
What type of work, if any, do you do on the Gods' behalf?  

I have ended up doing a lot of research and scholarly work, that's the big main thing that I do for the jackal deities. My focus seems to be on the actual representations of them (paintings, reliefs, statuettes, etc), and this work includes doing illustrations for publication. But I also collect (responsibly) antiquities which feature them and take care of those. I've started doing a daily service with offerings as well, which really is less 'ritual' and more 'service' as I'm essentially tending to the statues as I would if they were open. I also sculpt on occasion and am looking at taking up carving. Community-service wise, I guess it counts that I try to be available whenever someone has questions about the jackal deities or wants to know more about them. I'm starting to build a website where I intend to share information about them to a much greater depth than what is commonly available on the internet (i.e. very little.)

I definitely do feel this work strengthens my connection with them and enriches my life. I feel very privileged to be able to do everything that I do. I never thought I'd get to do something as special as actually owning antiquities or that I'd get the chance to fulfill my childhood dream of doing egyptological work. And being in a position to learn their secrets and study/handle their divine images, it is actually a pretty intimate thing. When it combines with my personal experiences and interactions, it becomes this thing which is larger than the sum of its parts. I wouldn't want only one or the other.
In Jackal-Infested Waters - The continuing adventures...
Per-Sabu.org - More jackals than you can shake a stick at.

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:34:21 am »

Right now? Not much.

I listen, is probably the biggest thing. If a random god comes around, and asks for something, I do my best to fulfill it- which requires open ears.

I've been looking into doing charity work for the gods- not sure which in particular. It just seems to be something I want to do- esp with animals and the like. I imagine that once I decide on a charity, the god in particular will make themselves known. The universe as it were, just seems to want to push me in that direction.

I also create art for the gods- and of course which god varies art piece to art piece. I also make myself available to answer any questions that people have- which I also feel it's a service to the gods as well.

And then there is daily ritual. Which I'm slowly working my way back into.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Zeno

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:48:39 am »

Well i do my best to give offerings on regular intervals, and I do my best to meditate on the nature of the Gods as often as possible. I also feel as though by doing my best in life I honor the Gods.

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 12:02:29 pm »

I do at least a simple ritual and offering every day.

I try to contribute to Ma'at between different Kemetic groups I'm associated with, when I can. Maybe it's a meddling Djehuty influence. :) I tend to chat with a lot of beginners and try to help them along their path, even though I'm relatively new as well.

I also write a Kemetic blog. Mostly it's little observations and comments on things I've read, with pictures of my offering tables. I'm co-writing a Kemetic-inspired novel (temporarily on hiatus due to a job transfer), and working on other Kemetic fiction projects.

On the craft side, I've decided to make my own icons. I'm working on a small Ma'at as a first project.

I've also volunteered for several nonprofits, especially humane ones,  as part of my service to Bast.
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 01:04:01 pm »
What type of work, if any, do you do on the Gods' behalf?  Ritual work?  Creative work?  Any sort of volunteering or community outreach?...

I teach adaptive aquatics when I am not working, and the children I work with are mainly on the autism spectrum.  The lessons enable the children to become water-safe enough to participate in free swim and other aquatic activities.  I also used to coach swimming for Special Olympics...although I don't now because time is at a premium.

I see this work as upholding Ma'at in two ways: (1) the children become able to move through the water while remaining afloat, thereby achieving a "balance" and (2) the community benefits from having fewer swimming-related accidents.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 04:29:38 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;1974
I teach adaptive aquatics when I am not working, and the children I work with are mainly on the autism spectrum.  The lessons enable the children to become water-safe enough to participate in free swim and other aquatic activities.  I also used to coach swimming for Special Olympics...although I don't now because time is at a premium.

I see this work as upholding Ma'at in two ways: (1) the children become able to move through the water while remaining afloat, thereby achieving a "balance" and (2) the community benefits from having fewer swimming-related accidents.

Cool!
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Wrynn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:59:19 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;2072
Cool!

As a spiritual wiccan, for the god and goddess I try to promote tolerance, love, foregiveness, and not to judge anyone.

I use my positive intent to help people in need and to be mindful about how what we do effects nature.  I try to impress upon my kids the importance of this and to try to live in balance and resonant harmony.
)o( Blessed be,
Wrynn Aethelraed

Shefyt

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firecat.net/lapis
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 01:50:47 pm »

I serve Bast as a Kemetic Orthodox priest, which means that I perform a daily shrine ritual; I'm also required to maintain a certain level of activity in the House of Netjer community and to perform some volunteer work outside the House. In addition to this, and on a more personal note, I do informal rituals to honor various Gods, I write songs and bead necklaces, and I maintain a couple of blogs.

I do believe that this work strengthens my connections to the Gods, in various ways. For instance, the inspirations for songs and jewelry open me up to a number of deities, most of whom I probably wouldn't engage with ritually. (There are way too many of them!) The songs in particular--some of them just "come through," either just as a tune or with words attached, whereas others others are written because I've promised a God or just felt that he or she needed a song. So the connection goes both ways, with me variously receptive or active, which I think can only improve the signal. And performing creative work always makes me happy.

Tending the shrine brings my Mother into this world; I feel Her love and (sometimes) follow Her guidance, both of which are definitely life-enriching.

And all of the above are service of one sort or another, which also deepens connection. They require patience, attention, respect, and love, which are all elements of a strong relationship. And I think relationship is the very definition of connection.

--Shefyt
I have not taken time away from the day;
I have done no damage to a beautiful hour.
--Megegi of Thebes

Lotus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 12:21:04 am »
Quote from: Wrynn;2110
I use my positive intent to help people in need and to be mindful about how what we do effects nature.  I try to impress upon my kids the importance of this and to try to live in balance and resonant harmony.

Lately, I have been doing something similar. I've been working to use reusable items and reducing how much waste I put out. I've also gotten a bike so I won't have to rely on a car so much.

On a larger scale, I've just graduated from college. I have a degree in biology now and I hope to apply it in a career involving restoration and/or conservation of the environment.

Along with ritual and meditation, I think this really connects me with the Gods since I've learned a lot of beautiful and wonderful things about the Earth.

TisiphoneSeraph

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Recon-Informed Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 12:58:36 pm »

I've found myself turning to the gods for help with my work as a caregiver in an assisted living community. There have been a few times now where people have gotten gravely ill and I've tried my best to comfort them. I definitely tie that with my connection to Yinepu and very recently Hethert.

It's true, I get paid to be there but I do try to go the extra mile where I can, especially with people in pain or close to passing. Yinepu has helped me to be calm and collected in those situations. Hethert is helping me to be my joyful around those who aren't quite as close to the brink of death.

I definitely feel that that work and the connect with my gods has enriched my life. I've learned so much and I've become a much gentler person for it.
divination thoughts over at hillbilly oracle

Tags: