"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Return of the Distant Goddess  (Read 2538 times)

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Return of the Distant Goddess
« on: December 10, 2012, 12:30:37 am »
I was wondering if anyone knew about what time the Distant Goddess is said to return in Kemetic myth. Geraldine Pinch (I think) claimed it was around Wep Ronpet but I've also heard that the time is actually Winter Solstice.

Also, can virtually any Eye of Ra with a mainly leonine/feline form be the Distant Goddess? UPG tells me Bast can play the role, but I usually hear of Sekhmet, Tefnut, or Mehit fitting the bill.

Aaaaand, does anyone hold any celebrations based off this myth? Just curious. ;)
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Re: Return of the Distant Goddess
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 11:48:37 am »
Quote from: Shine;84034
I was wondering if anyone knew about what time the Distant Goddess is said to return in Kemetic myth. Geraldine Pinch (I think) claimed it was around Wep Ronpet but I've also heard that the time is actually Winter Solstice.

Also, can virtually any Eye of Ra with a mainly leonine/feline form be the Distant Goddess? UPG tells me Bast can play the role, but I usually hear of Sekhmet, Tefnut, or Mehit fitting the bill.

Aaaaand, does anyone hold any celebrations based off this myth? Just curious. ;)

Bast, Sekhmet, Tefnut, Mut and Mehyt, among others play a role in this myth as the Distant Goddess depending on time period and temple location.  That celebration is on the Winter Solstice and the one where She leaves is on the Summer Solstice.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:43:48 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;84101
Bast, Sekhmet, Tefnut, Mut and Mehyt, among others play a role in this myth as the Distant Goddess depending on time period and temple location.  That celebration is on the Winter Solstice and the one where She leaves is on the Summer Solstice.

Got it. Thanks. :)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:49:10 pm »
Quote from: Shine;84034

From what I've gathered, there is no set date for this? I might be wrong, however. I am not adverse to reading and finding out if there is! :)

UPG-wise, I'm of the opinion that Anhur and Mehyt are the progenitors of this festival.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:46:47 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;84186
From what I've gathered, there is no set date for this? I might be wrong, however. I am not adverse to reading and finding out if there is! :)

UPG-wise, I'm of the opinion that Anhur and Mehyt are the progenitors of this festival.

Geraldine Pinch writes that the return of the Distant Goddess is associated with the return of Sopdet (thus one reason for Netjeret such as Bast being called Sopdet--the other reason being association with Aset). So Wep Ronpet or around that time.

I think Anhur and Mehit are the first two Netjeru mentioned in the myths, then it became Anhur-Shu and Tefnut, and later Het-Heru, Bast, and Sekhmet gained some links with the myth. The basic idea is the Eye of Ra gets pissed, leaves, the creator god is in a lurch and the land is in trouble, and so Anhur-Shu goes out to find Tefnut/Mehit/etc.

In a later version of the tale, it's Djehuty who brings the Distant Goddess back and is rewarded with marriage to Nehemtawy, a pacified form of the Netjeret in question.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 01:26:34 am »
Quote from: Shine;84190
Geraldine Pinch writes that the return of the Distant Goddess is associated with the return of Sopdet (thus one reason for Netjeret such as Bast being called Sopdet--the other reason being association with Aset). So Wep Ronpet or around that time.

The Distant Goddess was associated with Aset as Sopdet and Sekhmet, going and returning as the star travels through the underworld and re-appears during the New Year.  

Bast is associated with the Distant Goddess, but I don't think it was through Sopdet.  I have not seen Bast associated with Sopdet before.  Aset and Hetharu certainly are though.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:17:33 am »
Quote from: SatAset;84215
Bast is associated with the Distant Goddess, but I don't think it was through Sopdet.  I have not seen Bast associated with Sopdet before.  Aset and Hetharu certainly are though.

One of Bast's epithets is Sopdet. My guess would be if it's not through the association with this myth, it's the association through Aset. UPG for me says it's through the myth, but I wouldn't be surprised if scholarship didn't support me in it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:17:58 am by Shine »

Tags: