collapse

Author Topic: Prayers, Hymns, and Music  (Read 2088 times)

Aine Rayne

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 438
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« on: November 30, 2012, 10:17:04 pm »
I'd like to focus on modern prayers, hymns and music that's been written by practitioners for the Netjer (especially for Anpu and Set, they, and especially Anpu, seem to have a serious shortage of praise writings and rituals and suggestions for practice specifically for them). Links as well as personal writings are thoroughly welcome, and you don't have to worry about plagiarizing or anything from me, I'm a writer and would hate to see my own things stolen.

Also welcome are things from antiquity, especially if someone has come up with a way to set things to music! I like singing songs and would love to have some modern or ancient hymns to sing :3 same with prayers.
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Nyktipolos

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • *
  • Posts: 1498
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 02:24:24 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;82933
I'd like to focus on modern prayers, hymns and music that's been written by practitioners for the Netjer (especially for Anpu and Set, they, and especially Anpu, seem to have a serious shortage of praise writings and rituals and suggestions for practice specifically for them). Links as well as personal writings are thoroughly welcome, and you don't have to worry about plagiarizing or anything from me, I'm a writer and would hate to see my own things stolen.

Also welcome are things from antiquity, especially if someone has come up with a way to set things to music! I like singing songs and would love to have some modern or ancient hymns to sing :3 same with prayers.

Shefytbast has written/sung a lot, which are available on her website. :)

The Kemetic Orthodoxy also has a songbook, which contains the song I recall listening to an mp3 which had Tamara Siuda singing "Dua Ra" (one which still gets stuck in my head a lot, which I don't mind because it's a nice prayer-song). I can't seem to find the mp3 at the moment, nor the rest that come that songbook.
 
This post has inspired me to try and re-track down another KO member who did a couple of songs, including one to Bast which had instrumentals in it; although for the life of me, I can't remember their name.

EDIT: I missed the part of your post asking about Anubis and Set music: Shefytbast looks like she has written one for Anubis and two for Set, and the KO songbook contains a piece called "Set drum call".
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:28:11 am by Nyktipolos »
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Aine Rayne

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 438
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:24:54 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;82951
Shefytbast has written/sung a lot, which are available on her website. :)

The Kemetic Orthodoxy also has a songbook, which contains the song I recall listening to an mp3 which had Tamara Siuda singing "Dua Ra" (one which still gets stuck in my head a lot, which I don't mind because it's a nice prayer-song). I can't seem to find the mp3 at the moment, nor the rest that come that songbook.
 
This post has inspired me to try and re-track down another KO member who did a couple of songs, including one to Bast which had instrumentals in it; although for the life of me, I can't remember their name.

EDIT: I missed the part of your post asking about Anubis and Set music: Shefytbast looks like she has written one for Anubis and two for Set, and the KO songbook contains a piece called "Set drum call".

 
Thank you :D
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

SatAset

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 482
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 6
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Re: Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 03:38:10 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;82933
I'd like to focus on modern prayers, hymns and music that's been written by practitioners for the Netjer (especially for Anpu and Set, they, and especially Anpu, seem to have a serious shortage of praise writings

 
Someone else mentioned ShefytBast, so I'll mention Catfolk:  http://catfolk.bandcamp.com/album/dua

There are 2 songs to Set here and one to Bast.  And one to Nut.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Shefyt

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 98
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firecat.net/lapis
Re: Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:53:53 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;82933



Thanks for the plug, guys. ^_^

Shemembast has done a couple of lovely songs.

Not at all traditional, but there are a couple of Kemetic-themed albums at Lotuswire--they're electronica instrumentals.

Wenemaset has done a couple of CDs, but I haven't been able to find anything other than track listings online. *sadness*

Do you like hip hop? Check out PhantomQueen's Nothin' We Can't Do EP.

(These are all House of Netjer folks.)

I agree--we need more Kemetic songs!

-Shefyt
I have not taken time away from the day;
I have done no damage to a beautiful hour.
--Megegi of Thebes

Shefyt

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 98
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firecat.net/lapis
Re: Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;82951

The Kemetic Orthodoxy also has a songbook, which contains the song I recall listening to an mp3 which had Tamara Siuda singing "Dua Ra" (one which still gets stuck in my head a lot, which I don't mind because it's a nice prayer-song). I can't seem to find the mp3 at the moment, nor the rest that come that songbook.


You can find Hemet singing the "Dua Ra" song at the beginning of episode 5 of the Kemet This Week podcast.

Episode 10 opens with her singing "Eye of Ra." (Lyrics in this thread.)

-Shefyt
I have not taken time away from the day;
I have done no damage to a beautiful hour.
--Megegi of Thebes

Nyktipolos

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • *
  • Posts: 1498
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:28:04 pm »
Quote from: Shefyt;82999
You can find Hemet singing the "Dua Ra" song at the beginning of episode 5 of the Kemet This Week podcast.

Episode 10 opens with her singing "Eye of Ra." (Lyrics in this thread.)

-Shefyt

 
A ha! THAT'S where I heard her singing Dua Ra. :D: Thanks, Shefyt!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Mylo

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Nov 2012
  • Posts: 12
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 05:31:15 am »
Quote from: SatAset;82984
Someone else mentioned ShefytBast, so I'll mention Catfolk:  http://catfolk.bandcamp.com/album/dua

There are 2 songs to Set here and one to Bast.  And one to Nut.

 
I'm so glad this thread exists! "Bast Within" really speaks to me, I like it a lot.

If you don't mind getting a little UPG up in here... are there any types of music or particular artists/albums/songs you've found that the Netjeru enjoy? I've been trying to find something that Bast really enjoys, which is proving more difficult than I expected.
Luminous and Wired
We\'ll Be Glowing In The Dark

Helmsman_of_Inepu

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 159
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 09:47:35 am »
Quote from: Shefyt;82998
I agree--we need more Kemetic songs!

 
It would be great if anyone figures out chords for accompanying your songs!

There's also "Here Comes Wepwawet!"
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Aine Rayne

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 438
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 09:55:45 pm »
Quote from: Mylo;83675
I'm so glad this thread exists! "Bast Within" really speaks to me, I like it a lot.

If you don't mind getting a little UPG up in here... are there any types of music or particular artists/albums/songs you've found that the Netjeru enjoy? I've been trying to find something that Bast really enjoys, which is proving more difficult than I expected.

 
well, I haven't figured out Aset yet, but I found Anpu and Set like Evanescence and Flyleaf. I find those artists also remind me of them, but they're also my fave artists and evoke strong emotions and memories so I could be projecting. I do play Evanescence for Anpu when I'm in shrine though. I think He likes the lyrics and strongly emotional music, He strikes me as the type who likes the deep stuff that makes you think.

I think Set likes the music and likes that some of the songs are about strength and experiencing and fighting pain as well as being true to yourself. Which may explain why I think He's getting into Linkin Park, but only sorta, I think He'd find them whiny.
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Firaza

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 138
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 10:56:19 pm »
Quote from: Mylo;83675
If you don't mind getting a little UPG up in here... are there any types of music or particular artists/albums/songs you've found that the Netjeru enjoy? I've been trying to find something that Bast really enjoys, which is proving more difficult than I expected.

 
I've not explored this territory with Anpu, but my first encounter with Wepwawet ended in a happy pop mash-up song. I think it was because I was really nervous and He may have been telling me to chill out; things will be okay. (The song itself is one I associate with feelings of overwhelming joy and energy.)

I can't decide if it was really Him or all me, but I'll keep my eye (ear?) out for any recurring patterns.

NorthernangelNimya

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 76
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers, Hymns, and Music
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 08:21:45 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;82933
I'd like to focus on modern prayers, hymns and music that's been written by practitioners for the Netjer (especially for Anpu and Set, they, and especially Anpu, seem to have a serious shortage of praise writings and rituals and suggestions for practice specifically for them). Links as well as personal writings are thoroughly welcome, and you don't have to worry about plagiarizing or anything from me, I'm a writer and would hate to see my own things stolen.

Also welcome are things from antiquity, especially if someone has come up with a way to set things to music! I like singing songs and would love to have some modern or ancient hymns to sing :3 same with prayers.

 
Yes we do need more songs :)

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
2602 Views
Last post April 18, 2012, 05:09:04 pm
by yewberry
0 Replies
2810 Views
Last post June 20, 2012, 12:09:20 pm
by LyricFox
9 Replies
1833 Views
Last post February 24, 2013, 11:25:30 am
by Elani Temperance
2 Replies
1225 Views
Last post June 27, 2013, 03:27:08 pm
by Elani Temperance
1 Replies
1440 Views
Last post February 02, 2015, 03:56:10 pm
by mattkaru

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 50
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal