Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Reading is good - talking even better (?)  (Read 3929 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Reading is good - talking even better (?)
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 06:15:36 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;204841
I certainly don't disagree that having it all in one place is a good idea, so I'm with you on that front. Anything on how to put the old purity rules into practice would be useful, too, on top of the food taboos. That can feel a little overwhelming too, even to someone who's been doing this for years.

Not to mention why there are purity rules in the first place. I seem to recall Darkhawk already wrote a piece on that a while ago. Or was that someone else?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 06:37:32 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;204876
Not to mention why there are purity rules in the first place. I seem to recall Darkhawk already wrote a piece on that a while ago. Or was that someone else?

I may well have done!  But long enough ago that I remember nothing about it if so.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 11:02:39 pm »
Quote from: Shewhoseeks;204725
Hi, I am wondering why the silence.

I have been looking for a way to have contact with more kemetics, because I really feel isolated where I live.

In Germany there is no acceptable platform for communication I could find due to lack of activity or ppl having left there.
Same seems to be the case here (concerning activity).

You might want to get in touch with Sati:

Kemetische Einsichten
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 11:49:33 pm »
Quote from: Shewhoseeks;204773
Rule of thumb - no offerings of impure items/food. Fish are considered not
 pure so they are a no go. When the book on fish cults in Egypt arrives I can delve deeper into this.
Also wondering about the properness of using a sistrum for ceremonial purposes concerning Djehuty

I talked with Richard Redding, a scientist at University of Michigan who studies ancient animal bones. He's worked extensively at the pyramid sites in Giza, including the area where the priests lived. He found waste dumps with cow foreleg bones- reverted offerings to the Netjeru that were eaten by the priests. He also found large numbers of bones from Synodontis catfish, and had them tested to see if they had passed through a human digestive system. (!) They had. His opinion on a fish taboo was that it was limited in time and place.

If you're interested in Hatmehyt, look for Donald Redford's book "City of the Ram Man", and his "Delta Reports" series. In Mendes/Djedet there are deposits of votive jars containing baby schilbe catfish, presumably as offerings to Hatmehyt.

It's good to see another person with an interest in Hatmehyt- she is one of my main Netjeru, and there seems to be a tiny handful of people with an interest in her.

On the sistrum:
I know Wepwawet had his own groups of female musicians and dancers, and is associated with the Goddess Merit. You might look for more information on that.
Also sistrum-playing is definitely associated with Ptah. Djehuty has the "Lord of Terror" epithet, so a calming sistrum would be entirely appropriate.

High Priest and Sistrum-Player of Ptah
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:55:53 pm by Helmsman_of_Inepu »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 06:45:16 pm »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;205480

Off-topic: Oh, hey, Helms! Long time no see!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Shewhoseeks

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 06:50:17 am »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;205483
I talked with Richard Redding, a scientist at University of Michigan who studies ancient animal bones. He's worked extensively at the pyramid sites in Giza, including the area where the priests lived. He found waste dumps with cow foreleg bones- reverted offerings to the Netjeru that were eaten by the priests. He also found large numbers of bones from Synodontis catfish, and had them tested to see if they had passed through a human digestive system. (!) They had. His opinion on a fish taboo was that it was limited in time and place.

If you're interested in Hatmehyt, look for Donald Redford's book "City of the Ram Man", and his "Delta Reports" series. In Mendes/Djedet there are deposits of votive jars containing baby schilbe catfish, presumably as offerings to Hatmehyt.

It's good to see another person with an interest in Hatmehyt- she is one of my main Netjeru, and there seems to be a tiny handful of people with an interest in her.

On the sistrum:
I know Wepwawet had his own groups of female musicians and dancers, and is associated with the Goddess Merit. You might look for more information on that.
Also sistrum-playing is definitely associated with Ptah. Djehuty has the "Lord of Terror" epithet, so a calming sistrum would be entirely appropriate.

High Priest and Sistrum-Player of Ptah

Hello, nice to meet you! 😊
Thank you for the valuable information.
Since my last post I did some research on fish and it seems to be a matter of local worship, time period and of fish species.
In different myths fish play a role. Some fish ate Wesirs phallus when His dismembered parts were thrown into the waters. Those fish species would be considered impure by many and hence not be eaten or offered. Other places in Egypt would actually consider them sacred for their involvement with Wesir. Then there is that story of fish swimming alongside Ras barque helping against chaos.
There are pictures of fish being mummified either as food for the deceased or as pets to follow him/her into the afterlife. Also the subject of fish amulets is quite interesting.

I will try to get the book on Djedet, thank you! It is so good to hear from somebody else having Hatmehyt as a main Netjeru.

On the Sistrum I will check now that you put it that way. It makes sense. Thanks!

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 07:05:43 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;205496
Off-topic: Oh, hey, Helms! Long time no see!

Sunflower

Hi! I was getting the link to the pagan teen FAQ for someone, and checked out the SIG. :)

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 07:12:57 am »
Quote from: Shewhoseeks;205522
... Some fish ate Wesirs phallus when His dismembered parts were thrown into the waters. Those fish species would be considered impure by many and hence not be eaten or offered.

One of the species that was listed for that is the 'elephant nose' mormyrid. It has a tiny mouth, and would have trouble eating anything over 2mm in diameter. I wonder if that was a joke, or heka, or both.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 07:43:58 pm »

Not that new, but I'll throw out some ideas.

- Short rituals. (Eternal Egypt is a great book, but I do not have the wherewithal to recite 10-page ritual scripts.)
- One thing I have been trying to find is a list of which offerings are taboo to which gods. I remember seeing one once online, but it seems to have vanished.
- Symbolism glossaries for colors, numbers etc. that aren't Hermetic-influenced. Plus, how to use symbols, since this comes up a lot in Kemetic practices.

The Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook by Tamara L. Siuda has a short daily ritual in it as well as ancient prayers.  Tamara L. Siuda is an Egyptologist and the founder of Kemetic Orthodoxy/House of Netjer, just so you are aware.  She also  has a festival calendar book, The Ancient Egyptian Daybook, if  you are interested in festivals.

For symbolism and colors, there are two books and one is the source for the other.  Symbol and Magic in Egyptian Art by Richard Wilkinson has this information.  Kerry Wisner's book, Eye of the Sun has this also.  (Kerry Wisner is the founder of the Temple Akhet Hwthrw/Hathor). 

For taboos for different gods, I have seen a few:
Aset (Isis): Pork, Fish
Wesir  (Osiris):  Pork, Fish, Sand
Sekhmet: Pork

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Shewhoseeks

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 04:53:50 am »
The Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook by Tamara L. Siuda has a short daily ritual in it as well as ancient prayers.  Tamara L. Siuda is an Egyptologist and the founder of Kemetic Orthodoxy/House of Netjer, just so you are aware.  She also  has a festival calendar book, The Ancient Egyptian Daybook, if  you are interested in festivals.

For symbolism and colors, there are two books and one is the source for the other.  Symbol and Magic in Egyptian Art by Richard Wilkinson has this information.  Kerry Wisner's book, Eye of the Sun has this also.  (Kerry Wisner is the founder of the Temple Akhet Hwthrw/Hathor). 

For taboos for different gods, I have seen a few:
Aset (Isis): Pork, Fish
Wesir  (Osiris):  Pork, Fish, Sand
Sekhmet: Pork

Hi,
Only the fish species were considered impure due to having consumed Osiri’s phallus.
Fish is a not so easy subject. I highly recommend “Fische und Fischkulte im Alten Ägypten“ by Ingrid Gamer-Wallert.

Wilkinson’s book is a very good source. The book on Amulets by Carol Andrews complements it nicely. I am planning on getting literature on iconography, which would go into more detail.

A nice short ritual can also be found in Sharon La Bordes books - just keep in mind she follows a reformed Kemeticism path. The ritual contains the core elements needed though and it is not difficcult to expand it to include more of them.

Tags: