collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Kemetic gods changing their appearance?  (Read 5219 times)

Vymir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Kemetic gods changing their appearance?
« on: July 09, 2011, 08:07:28 pm »
Hi, I must say that I am not KO nor do I worship any Kemetic gods so this may sound weird. I've been going through some hard times lately (boyfriend troubles). Last night I had a really strange dream. Some gods and goddesses I find often contact me in my dreams. During a dream last night a god approached me. I initially thought it was one of the Norse or Celtic gods. He was extremely handsome, tall, white skinned, blue eyes and short blonde hair, carrying a staff and was shirtless and wearing an Ancient Egyptian male "skirt". He told me his name was Wesir and that he was here to help me through my difficult time and not to worry. He also mentioned my patron god, Thor was helping me too. Which I found odd, because I was told that pantheons did not work together.

After waking up from my dream, I logged straight onto my computer to find that it was the Ancient Egyptian name of the god Osiris and he looked nothing like the guy I saw in my dream (green skin, dark hair, head dress, dressed in white etc). I had never had a Kemetic god try and contact me before so I was very excited but I was expecting a god with darker features, being from Africa. It makes me wonder is that how he actually 'was' or is that just the he appearance was trying to convey to me?

Has anybody else experienced this?

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Kemetic gods changing their appearance?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:09:59 pm »
Quote from: Vymir;3425
It makes me wonder is that how he actually 'was' or is that just the he appearance was trying to convey to me?

The appearances of the Egyptian gods are, by the lore, unknown and perhaps unknowable.  They might not even recognise each other on the street if they passed each other by - there's a bit somewhere where a god specifically says "I am now putting on this set of attributes, and now you know who I am!"
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Nehet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://youtu.be/_1GRj6CNSGg
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:16:33 pm »
During a dream last night a god approached me. I initially thought it was one of the Norse or Celtic gods. He was extremely handsome, tall, white skinned, blue eyes and short blonde hair, carrying a staff and was shirtless and wearing an Ancient Egyptian male "skirt". He told me his name was Wesir and that he was here to help me through my difficult time and not to worry.  

"Helping through difficult times" is very much his department.  

He also mentioned my patron god, Thor was helping me too. Which I found odd, because I was told that pantheons did not work together.

I see no reason why he wouldn't mention Thor if it provided added reassurance.  IME, Gods do tend to prefer to work with Gods from the same pantheon.  That doesn't have to be a hard and fast rule.  They cooperate when necessary.  

After waking up from my dream, I logged straight onto my computer to find that it was the Ancient Egyptian name of the god Osiris and he looked nothing like the guy I saw in my dream (green skin, dark hair, head dress, dressed in white etc). I had never had a Kemetic god try and contact me before so I was very excited but I was expecting a god with darker features, being from Africa. It makes me wonder is that how he actually 'was' or is that just the he appearance was trying to convey to me?

We always see the Gods through our own eyes.  Even our subconscious mind adds its on projections.  If you are Caucasian and/or accustomed to working with European Gods, then you may have seen him that way because that's what you're used to seeing.  That doesn't mean it wasn't Him.  

IME, if he actually came out and said "I'm Wesir", it's worth paying attention.  There's no 100% way of knowing if it's Him, or if the dream means anything.  Still, there's no harm in reading up on him a bit.  If you read something that resonates, you could try approaching him with a simple offering.  I would suggest a nice whole-grain bread.  Beer is also good, if you are of age.  Thank him for visiting you in your dream, and ask him for guidance in getting through your difficult time.

Don't worry if you don't get a lot of chatter from him, or direct advice on what to do.  As I said on another thread, just because he's not talking doesn't mean he isn't listening.  I experience him as being very patient and quiet.  YMMV, of course.  Everybody's relationship with the Gods is different.
See, life is but a movement of eternal return.  Even Trees fall ~ Berlin papyrus 3024, (A man tired of life).

Live, Ausir, for all time and all eternity! Ankh Neheh Djet!

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:08:59 am »
It makes me wonder is that how he actually 'was' or is that just the he appearance was trying to convey to me?

Has anybody else experienced this?

It's possible he chose this look to appeal to you and to take him seriously.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Vymir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:29:04 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;3574

Thank you all for your great answers. I decided to give Wesir an offering of Beer in thanks for his protection. It's funny, my situation has improved considerably in just a few days which is great.

Nehet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://youtu.be/_1GRj6CNSGg
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:32:37 pm »
Quote from: Vymir;4399
Thank you all for your great answers. I decided to give Wesir an offering of Beer in thanks for his protection. It's funny, my situation has improved considerably in just a few days which is great.

Glad to hear it :)
See, life is but a movement of eternal return.  Even Trees fall ~ Berlin papyrus 3024, (A man tired of life).

Live, Ausir, for all time and all eternity! Ankh Neheh Djet!

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 07:23:42 am »
Quote from: Vymir;4399

Very good!

As Darkhawk says, their appearance can vary greatly. In artwork, the same god or goddess can be shown as entirely animal, as an animal-headed human, or entirely human. Djehuty (Thoth) can be in the form of an ibis or a baboon! A difference in hair or eye color would be a pretty trivial matter by comparison. :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:24:24 am by Helmsman_of_Inepu »
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

KittyVel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:26:33 pm »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;4506
Very good!

As Darkhawk says, their appearance can vary greatly. In artwork, the same god or goddess can be shown as entirely animal, as an animal-headed human, or entirely human. Djehuty (Thoth) can be in the form of an ibis or a baboon! A difference in hair or eye color would be a pretty trivial matter by comparison. :)

I've seen Mafdet portrayed as a human with the head of a cheetah, leopard, and black panther, and as a mongoose!  Four different animals for just one Goddess.  Enjoys variety, She does!  Apparently lots of the Gods and Goddesses do.
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 06:52:12 am »
Quote from: KittyVel;4686
I've seen Mafdet portrayed as a human with the head of a cheetah, leopard, and black panther, and as a mongoose!  Four different animals for just one Goddess.  Enjoys variety, She does!  Apparently lots of the Gods and Goddesses do.

I think a caracal/lynx as well.

Sometimes the only way you can tell who is who in artwork is to look for the headgear. Even then, Isis (Aset?) is portrayed with a "Het-Hert" hat sometimes.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 05:19:31 am »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;4775
"Het-Hert" hat

Say that five times, fast:D.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

KittyVel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 12:49:19 am »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;4775
I think a caracal/lynx as well.

Ah, I knew I was forgetting one!  It's hard to keep track after awhile.  I just think of Her as "cheetah" and leave it at that, since She's a goddess of swift justice...It makes the most sense to me, and that's how She's always shown herself to me.
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 04:56:31 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;3574

This is what I would suspect.  For a LONG time I was pretty eclectic and had not settled on a path, during those times I'd randomly be attracted to certain gods that seemed to come and go, often from different pantheons.  So my take on this is that the gods can make their presence known and occasionally work with other faiths in an effort to help out someone for whatever reason.  

I've settled on Kemeticism yet I will occasionally get the sense I'm working with an Angelic entity.  I think this is partially due to the fact that I was raised Catholic and called on Angels before.  I could be wrong of course, but I think we can attract the entity most needed for us at a given time, that, or it's kind of like whoever picks up the phone answers your call. ;)  I imagine the gods choose how they wish to present themselves to a person in a way that is appropriate - in this case they wanted your attention and worked in a way that was easier for you.  

To quote Ghostbusters:  
Winston:"I thought Gozer was a man!  
Egon:  It's whatever it wants to be."

Like others have said: I'd research the god, maybe do a few meditations to him/her, and go with what feels right.  Just because you are working with a god that you don't normally do/is not part of the faith, doesn't mean you have to change paths of course. ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:58:18 am by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 08:41:03 am »
Quote from: KittyVel;6398
I just think of Her as "cheetah" and leave it at that, since She's a goddess of swift justice...It makes the most sense to me, and that's how She's always shown herself to me.

*laughs* Pretty amazing, hunh? It's like everyone gets a set of custom Gods and Goddesses. :cool:

Cirrus13

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 01:04:02 am »
Quote from: KittyVel;4686

Yes, I can verify Mafdet appears as a melanistic jaguar. She came to me appearing about like this, but a little darker. The spots were definitely there, and defined, though.
Disclaimer: Anything I post can be classified as UPG unless otherwise stated.

Tags: