Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Household deities  (Read 2220 times)

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Household deities
« on: October 20, 2011, 07:29:58 pm »
I have been looking for most of the day for household deities in Ancient Egypt and I have only found 2 deities. Bast and Bes. Now I read somewhere today (can't remember exactly what site) that Bastet only became a household Goddess after she was syncretized with Artemis, is this true? And would Bes be considered a God of the home? I know he is a God who protects, mothers and children, especially babies.

Thanks!

Bastemhet

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.perbastemhet.wordpress.com
Re: Household deities
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 07:44:50 pm »
Quote from: Meritmut;26686
I have been looking for most of the day for household deities in Ancient Egypt and I have only found 2 deities. Bast and Bes. Now I read somewhere today (can't remember exactly what site) that Bastet only became a household Goddess after she was syncretized with Artemis, is this true? And would Bes be considered a God of the home? I know he is a God who protects, mothers and children, especially babies.

Thanks!

There's an article on domestic religious practices that I did a summary on in my blog focusing on the aspects most relevant to modern practice if you don't feel like reading all 32 pages of the original.  It mentions the most common deities you'll find statuary to in the home as well as ways they were worshiped.

You can find a good website on the history of Bast here.  Bes indeed was a household god, for the reasons that you mentioned.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:46:20 pm by Bastemhet »

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 07:50:02 pm »
Quote from: Bastemhet;26689
There's an article on domestic religious practices that I did a summary on in my blog focusing on the aspects most relevant to modern practice if you don't feel like reading all 32 pages of the original.  It mentions the most common deities you'll find statuary to in the home as well as ways they were worshiped.

You can find a good website on the history of Bast here.  Bes indeed was a household god, for the reasons that you mentioned.

Thank you Bastemhet, all the links you provide are exceedingly helpful :)

Bastemhet

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.perbastemhet.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »
Quote from: Meritmut;26690
Thank you Bastemhet, all the links you provide are exceedingly helpful :)

Welcome!

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:00:40 am »
I have been looking for most of the day for household deities in Ancient Egypt and I have only found 2 deities.

You could also start looking at amulets, since they were very much a part of personal piety. While some were simply prescriptive "here, wear this so your foot will heal," some of them were undoubtedly signs of dedication. In a lot of ways, I think of them as shrines that go where you do.
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 06:46:09 pm »

Thanks!

Yes, you're right about Bes. Another important deity of the home and family is Taweret, the pregnant hippopotamus goddess of protection during pregnancy and childbirth. If I remember correctly, she was also sometimes considered the consort of Bes (but also Sobek and Apep in other traditions). She protected the family/household and was a restrainer of evil forces.

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 10:01:31 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;26837
Yes, you're right about Bes. Another important deity of the home and family is Taweret, the pregnant hippopotamus goddess of protection during pregnancy and childbirth. If I remember correctly, she was also sometimes considered the consort of Bes (but also Sobek and Apep in other traditions). She protected the family/household and was a restrainer of evil forces.

Ah yes I forgot about Taweret, which is odd because she is one of my favorite Goddesses. I have also read she was in some traditions Bes' consort. I have been looking for a statue of Taweret and Bes but haven't found any for a reasonable price.

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:02:13 pm »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;26769
You could also start looking at amulets, since they were very much a part of personal piety. While some were simply prescriptive "here, wear this so your foot will heal," some of them were undoubtedly signs of dedication. In a lot of ways, I think of them as shrines that go where you do.

I read on one of my pdf documents that amulets to Taweret were very popular in antiquity.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 12:21:06 pm »
Quote from: Meritmut;26873
I read on one of my pdf documents that amulets to Taweret were very popular in antiquity.

Amulets of Heru-the-Younger were exceedingly popular as well. I believe that came from Geraldine Pinch.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Tags: