Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Hail To You, My Living Ka: Ka Theology 101  (Read 8111 times)

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Hail To You, My Living Ka: Ka Theology 101
« on: July 30, 2011, 06:46:05 pm »
"You spat out Shu, you expectorated Tefnut, and you put your arms about them as the arms of a ka, that your ka might be in them."
- Pyramid Texts, addressing Atum

You inherit your ka from your parents.  It is the line of the ka-spirit that connects you to your ancestors; this is the spirit of animation that was given you, that you might live.

The symbol for the ka is a pair of outstretched arms, lifted upwards as in praise or - Egyptian perspective in artwork being as it is - outwards as if to take a child into an embrace.  Hug your children, the Pyramid Texts suggest, so that they have souls.

Because your ka is the ka of your parents, the ka of their parents, and so on, your treatment of the ka - whether yours or that of your ancestors - affects your entire family line.  You have inherited the blessings that were written into your ancestors' souls; you have also inherited the traumas - as abuse perpetrates abuse.  Your ability to cleanse and heal yourself so that the wounds your ka has taken do not spread further also cleanses and heals your akhu.

Your ka is the ka of your parents.  Their ka is the ka of their parents.  All kau, all the myriad, multiply-split multi-generational lines of it, all kau are, eventually, the ka of Atum.  If the cosmos is alive, if there are spirits here, if there are gods and if there are people and if there are beasts and plants and if the stones hold wisdom and the rivers flow, it is because of the ka of Atum alive within us.  He put His arms about Shu and Tefnut, and His ka was in them; as one became millions, those millions still carried the essence of the ka.  Your ka, your life-spirit, is a spark of the life-spirit of Atum; your very being partakes of the being of the Creator, and is divine.  So does everything else's.  (Stop laughing, HeartShadow.)

We offer to the gods with the liturgy "May your ka be fed."  We present gifts with "For your ka."  It is in the nature of kau to give, and we give so that the ka is replenished, so that there is ever more to give.  Every gift, every act of kindness, every investment, every meal, all of these are acts of sustaining the ka.  Offerings are made so that the gods may continue to sustain their generosity; this theological principle is called "Do ut des", "I give so that you may give."

As we give to each other, we sustain each other, we build our strength.  These gifts mean that our akhu are not limited to bloodline - as if they could be, because all ka is of the Creator - because there are people who have given us much and are not in our linear families.  These are our communities, the worlds in which we gift from ka to ka.

The word "ka" certainly looks related to the word "kau".  "Kau" means "victuals".  What we eat is of one substance with our ka - not just because all things that are animate, which is all things, are of one substance with our ka, but because it is the nature of ka to be of this flow of life-energy.  What you eat is not merely calories to drive your motion and nutrients to build your cells but becomes of the same essence as your very soul.  But then again, I repeat myself.

The word "ka" is also related to words related to reproduction, fertility, and virility.  The ka is sexual - not just because sexuality is needed to bring about the next generation and pass on that ka-spirit unto it - but because sexuality is part of the flow of life-energy, energy-exchange, that is essential to the ka's nature.  The health and stability of your sexual energy, whether it flows in ways that are natural and healthy to you, these are part of your ka.

The word "ka" is also related to words dealing with enchantment and magic.  That word "heka", notice the second half of it:  it means the activation of the ka.  (I folk-etymologied this ages ago as "breath of the ka" and was tickled that I was basically right.)  When you do ritual or perform other heka, what you are doing is encouraging your ka energy to move, and that motion is what works the change in the world.  Heka, the god, may or may not be Shu, first emanation from the Creator: the space into which being may become.

So.  Stuff.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hail To You, My Living Ka: Ka Theology 101
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:28:35 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;9568
"You spat out Shu, you expectorated Tefnut, and you put your arms about them as the arms of a ka, that your ka might be in them."

You inherit your ka from your parents.  It is the line of the ka-spirit that connects you to your ancestors; this is the spirit of animation that was given you, that you might live.

The symbol for the ka is a pair of outstretched arms, lifted upwards as in praise or - Egyptian perspective in artwork being as it is - outwards as if to take a child into an embrace.  Hug your children, the Pyramid Texts suggest, so that they have souls.

Because your ka is the ka of your parents, the ka of their parents, and so on, your treatment of the ka - whether yours or that of your ancestors - affects your entire family line.  You have inherited the blessings that were written into your ancestors' souls; you have also inherited the traumas - as abuse perpetrates abuse.  Your ability to cleanse and heal yourself so that the wounds your ka has taken do not spread further also cleanses and heals your akhu.

Your ka is the ka of your parents.  Their ka is the ka of their parents.  All kau, all the myriad, multiply-split multi-generational lines of it, all kau are, eventually, the ka of Atum.  If the cosmos is alive, if there are spirits here, if there are gods and if there are people and if there are beasts and plants and if the stones hold wisdom and the rivers flow, it is because of the ka of Atum alive within us.  He put His arms about Shu and Tefnut, and His ka was in them; as one became millions, those millions still carried the essence of the ka.  Your ka, your life-spirit, is a spark of the life-spirit of Atum; your very being partakes of the being of the Creator, and is divine.  So does everything else's.  (Stop laughing, HeartShadow.)

We offer to the gods with the liturgy "May your ka be fed."  We present gifts with "For your ka."  It is in the nature of kau to give, and we give so that the ka is replenished, so that there is ever more to give.  Every gift, every act of kindness, every investment, every meal, all of these are acts of sustaining the ka.  Offerings are made so that the gods may continue to sustain their generosity; this theological principle is called "Do ut des", "I give so that you may give."

As we give to each other, we sustain each other, we build our strength.  These gifts mean that our akhu are not limited to bloodline - as if they could be, because all ka is of the Creator - because there are people who have given us much and are not in our linear families.  These are our communities, the worlds in which we gift from ka to ka.

The word "ka" certainly looks related to the word "kau".  "Kau" means "victuals".  What we eat is of one substance with our ka - not just because all things that are animate, which is all things, are of one substance with our ka, but because it is the nature of ka to be of this flow of life-energy.  What you eat is not merely calories to drive your motion and nutrients to build your cells but becomes of the same essence as your very soul.  But then again, I repeat myself.

The word "ka" is also related to words related to reproduction, fertility, and virility.  The ka is sexual - not just because sexuality is needed to bring about the next generation and pass on that ka-spirit unto it - but because sexuality is part of the flow of life-energy, energy-exchange, that is essential to the ka's nature.  The health and stability of your sexual energy, whether it flows in ways that are natural and healthy to you, these are part of your ka.

The word "ka" is also related to words dealing with enchantment and magic.  That word "heka", notice the second half of it:  it means the activation of the ka.  (I folk-etymologied this ages ago as "breath of the ka" and was tickled that I was basically right.)  When you do ritual or perform other heka, what you are doing is encouraging your ka energy to move, and that motion is what works the change in the world.  Heka, the god, may or may not be Shu, first emanation from the Creator: the space into which being may become.

So.  Stuff.

:thup:
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:33:07 pm »
So.  Stuff.

Awesome and informative stuff, as usual.

You wrote a snippet about the ka back on Beehive that resonated with me so I saved it. I believe the context was secular family Christmas traditions, but I'm not 100% sure.

And if the ka is the incarnation of the family line, that memorialising, the keeping of the Names of those who have shared that time, draws the kau of those ancestors closer, celebrates the union across the line between the seen and the unseen: we have been here before together. It is not so cold with the family here, with our honored guests, with those we have given hearthpeace to with the sharing of our bread and salt. This is where we came from, and it is implicit in our being here now in the same time, and thus needs to be honored.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 07:41:20 pm »
Quote from: Juni;9574
You wrote a snippet about the ka back on Beehive that resonated with me so I saved it. I believe the context was secular family Christmas traditions, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sounds plausible.  Looking at that quote, incidentally, the religious imagery in it?  A good chunk of Slavic heathenism.  One of my ancestor-lines.

(Things I Do On Purpose.)
we rise and fall

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:27:28 pm »
So.  Stuff.

As I expressed in chat: Words! There are words for it!

All I can really do is nod in agreement here and say that this is how I view things, albeit in a Kemetic context. Just... yes. :)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 09:07:50 pm »
So.  Stuff.

I...need to learn more about Kemeticism, I think.  I really like what you wrote here, and the views it expresses.  It has a rightness about it, for me.  So thank you for posting it.  And now I have something new to research.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:08:41 pm by Katefox »

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 09:36:27 pm »

This whole post was awesome.  I love how you explain complex concepts so its accessible to others.

Thank you.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Bastemhet

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.perbastemhet.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 09:46:35 am »
If the cosmos is alive, if there are spirits here, if there are gods and if there are people and if there are beasts and plants and if the stones hold wisdom and the rivers flow, it is because of the ka of Atum alive within us.

Just to make sure I understand you: are you implying animism here?

I have been thinking a lot about monolatry lately and trying to figure out what it is that connects all the netjeru together back to the source of the One, and Atum would be one of the creator netjeru that it would lead back to.  I considered the sharing of netjer (power) as being the essence which is divided and manifested in all the netjeru, and here you say it is the ka that we share.  I like your idea and am going to ponder it more.  Perhaps this was the missing link, for me, anyway.  Thanks for sharing.

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 11:10:10 am »
Quote from: Bastemhet;9680
Just to make sure I understand you: are you implying animism here?

Yes, this is one of the threads of animism in Egyptian religion.
we rise and fall

Firaza

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 02:33:08 pm »
So.  Stuff.

Thank you for this, Darkhawk. I love reading your posts.

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 12:03:48 am »

So.  Stuff.

I'm really glad you posted this. Thanks :)

It really does resonate well with what I've been learning within Shinto- it's all connected, all is together. It's all from the same source. Everything is everything... it's hard to explain. But to see the information about the ka worded this way- is really helpful. Now if only I could explain my words better- it would probably help XD

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Nehet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://youtu.be/_1GRj6CNSGg
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 12:36:08 am »
Offerings are made so that the gods may continue to sustain their generosity.

I really like how you phrased this.  It reminds me a very common ritual utterance:

Peret er Kheru, me pereret em re en Netjer

"May offerings of every kind come forth in abundance, like that which comes forth from the mouth of the God."
See, life is but a movement of eternal return.  Even Trees fall ~ Berlin papyrus 3024, (A man tired of life).

Live, Ausir, for all time and all eternity! Ankh Neheh Djet!

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 09:16:29 am »
So.  Stuff.

Thanks for this. Another excellent essay!
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Zeno

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 02:10:34 am »

So.  Stuff.

That was very informative and inspirational, thank you :).

Tags: