collapse

Author Topic: Exploring Thoth and Seshat  (Read 6148 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Exploring Thoth and Seshat
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 04:36:27 pm »
Quote from: Sage;152460
I've seen a lot of unsubstantiated claims that Seshat is a sister of Ma'at-the-goddess. Do you know if this has any basis in history or if this might be a case of repeating incorrect info in an echo chamber? I'm also interested in a link between Seshat and Ma'at.

I've not actually heard of it anywhere else (that I consciously recall, anyway). It bubbled to mind a few days ago when I was writing up something on my religious blog (and I proceeded to ramble about it a little). I'm treating it purely as personal UPG at the moment.

The only historical link that I know of between Seshat and Ma'at is that they're both described as the wife of Djehuty; but my foundational knowledge is still pretty poor at the moment. (Something I'm working on this year.)

Quote from: Sage;152460
At the risk of oversimplifying - Djehuty is more aligned with the personal cultivation of knowledge and Seshat with it's communal application?

It is a simplification, but basically? (The line between being false-by-oversimplification and reduced-to-graspable-information is very narrow.) Again, this is UPG.

I also think it's a matter of, hm. Extrapolating from her involvement with the stretching of the cord- I think part of her role is the first step into the new. She teaches the basics, she introduces people to new ideas and subjects? Or rather, she shows the newly interested person the true vastness and complexity of the subject, and gives them the tools to start learning it, to see all that they don't yet know. Whereas Djehuty's studies are more... complex, focused on thoroughness and mastery of a subject. Seshat is the professor who teaches all the 101 classes because she knows how to talk to people who don't know anything about the subject; Djehuty is the professor who guides his students through their master's thesis.

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense?
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 04:37:36 pm »
Quote from: Neteruhemta RaShuSet;152453
In my personal practice Djehuti, Seshet, and Ma'at are a working triad.

This is interesting! And makes me feel better about my Seshat-Ma'at ...brainweasel, for lack of a better word.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 04:47:59 pm »
Quote from: Chabas;152462
However, you may recall my recent-ish post on hearth kemeticism

I seem to remember you making that post but can't recall if I read it or not. It sounds up my alley!

where having a Taweret statue around for my regular housekeeping got me into the mindset of "This, too, is ma'at", and focused me on how this, too was important to keeping the world turning.

-nodnodnod- That's how much of my relationship with Brighid has manifested recently. It really jives with where I'm at emotionally and spiritually right now and is the kind of religion I want/need in my life. Also I'm just finding myself less and less able or willing to do ritual.

I wouldn't call it a deity relationship in any but the most liberal sense - the statue is really just there because she is patron of the home, rather than because of any personal relationship - but it does help me focus on the ma'at work I'm doing and its meaning. I've since put up a (stick gods) Djehuti image at work for a similar purpose - because as a researcher, Djehuti is my patron, and I think that his image is a useful reminder that this, too, is ma'at, on days when I'm mostly just grumpy about the stuff I need to do.

I can't think of the word I need to use, but... yes. The gods acting as a focal point of [insert work here].

You gave me a lot of good things to think about and I'm sorry my response is mostly just nodding my head! Yes, good, I'll have another. :D
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 04:55:54 pm »
Quote from: Juni;152470
I've not actually heard of it anywhere else (that I consciously recall, anyway). It bubbled to mind a few days ago when I was writing up something on my religious blog (and I proceeded to ramble about it a little). I'm treating it purely as personal UPG at the moment.

The only historical link that I know of between Seshat and Ma'at is that they're both described as the wife of Djehuty; but my foundational knowledge is still pretty poor at the moment. (Something I'm working on this year.)

The reason I ask is that it's something that makes a lot of sense to me on a gut level. I guess I'm really feeling the truthiness here. ;) And I really don't know much history or lore or other important sources for Kemetic things yet. Nearly all of my Pagan 'career' has been in Indo-European cultures and - with the acknowledgement that they're of course all different and I don't want to make the mistake of smooshing them all together into one grayed out blob - I can really feel/sense/understand how different the Kemetic worldview is from my past IE work. It's a little intimidating!

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense?

No, I think I grok it. I'm not sure if I could parrot it back to you yet, but something's clicked. :)
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 07:02:35 pm »
Quote from: Sage;152476

I can't think of the word I need to use, but... yes. The gods acting as a focal point of [insert work here].
D

I'd just like to say that I'm finding this a useful concept since this is A Thing I have also been doing. (With Sokar in my case.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 07:42:44 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;152491
I'd just like to say that I'm finding this a useful concept since this is A Thing I have also been doing. (With Sokar in my case.)

I'd love to hear more about Your Thing With Sokar if you don't mind sharing.
I shall endure.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 07:05:47 pm »
Quote from: Sage;152496
I'd love to hear more about Your Thing With Sokar if you don't mind sharing.

Sure! *Gets thoughts in order*

Okay, so Sokar is, among other things, the patron of tomb workers and temple craftsmen. This touches on two parts of my life; my art practice, and my day job which is back-end processing for life insurance. (I see life insurance as a modern-day parallel to ancient tomb-building practices).

My desk at work and my studio desk at home both have a figurine of Sokar on them. I don't have any specific prayers or practices I do for them, but I can glance up and think, "hey, this work has a greater meaning." (Like Chabas with the Taweret statue).

Compared to Neb.y Set, Sokar has been a very subtle presence -- I've not had any thwaps or omens, anything like that. But Sokar is present in a large part of my life just because of the nature of the activities I do.

I'm sometimes frustrated by the lack of historical information about Him. But at the same time there's a sense that I know what I need to know, and that what one needs to know about Him has very little to do with the historical record.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Neteruhemta RaShuGeb

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/kristen.nash1
  • Religion: Kemeticism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 01:13:44 pm »
Quote from: Sage;152467
This is a really interesting system! Would you mind sharing how you came to work with these three as a triad? It clicks together really well for me.

Fickle words are evil at times.

I don't mind sharing how I came to the three of Them as a triad.

With the Netjeru overlapping as much as They do, I found myself focusing on the differing pieces as to why when someone says, "This deity X is the representation of Y" wasn't the same X across the country. There are answers to that in regard to cultural and regional focuses depending on the time period, but I felt the reasoning behind the differences could be found by digging deep and really dissecting the differences.

My brain works in its own way in needing pieces to be in buckets. When I was exploring what magic, writing, crafting, and knowledge had to do with my path, I found myself finding parallels in so many areas. I encountered Djehuti very early on my path and I was cool with having Him as a resourceful companion. As I was looking at Him, I found he was never truly by himself.

I encountered a version of the creation of the universe that told of Him accompanying Ra and Ma'at on the first journey of the Solar Barque. I was VERY familiar with Ra, but not with Ma'at. As I looked in to Her and what She meant, I felt her role as more of a support role than active. I became curious of how the Netjeru family trees looked and how Their roles connected versus actual bloodline. I was familiar with the Heliopolitan Ennead, but not anyone else. It was in this search I encountered Seshet.

Djehuti and Ma'at seemed so intertwined it was as if they were "married" even if records were to say otherwise (granted Ma'at is practically married to everybody, because universal pillar is a thing). I had the same feeling in regards to Seshet and Djehuti. I knew Seshet and Ma'at were not the same deity because focuses were different, but they work so well together.

Triads fascinate me due to the equation never being the same between the members of the Triads. Familial connection, role, and focus is never based on making the triads the same. When I was thinking about how the three fit together, what I came up with was the system I posted above.

Gleb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 03:11:09 pm »
Quote from: Asterix;144316
As a writer, my pantheon of course includes Thoth, the Egyptian god of writing and communication and his apprentice/daughter Seshat.  However, my research is limited to an analytical nature thus far. So the question I pose to other worshippers of Thoth and/or Seshat is: what are you experiences like, and how would you recommend the worship of these deities?

I've been working with Djehuty for a long time. Perhaps a bit over a year. I can say that He's really understanding and patient. Since I am much of a loner, He treats me like a younger brother.
Both of us like to do research on the things we like. He can go very far with it and reach His goal.
But Djehuty remembers that a break is also necessary, so He might spend some time resting, or doing something He likes except research.
He is also a great encouraging person. When I am afraid of something, or stressed, I sometimes feel as if He puts His hand on my left shoulder and tells me not to worry. It helps me greatly.

So that's my experience with Djehuty. I hope it helped. :)

Tags: