Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Trying to honor a friend  (Read 1178 times)

GusM

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: agnostic
Trying to honor a friend
« on: September 22, 2017, 04:02:01 am »
let me start of with saying i'm not pagan. my friend however was, he died in a car crash three years ago on Nov.1 and I feel like i have not been putting as much of an effort as i could into his memory. I grew up celebrating the day of the dead, besides placing pictures of our dead on an altar we also place things that they liked. For Shane all i have is an athame he gave me as a gift once. This is what has brought me here, i would like to say a prayer for him but i don't know one, i would also like to place more meaningful items for him but i don't know what to add. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. I tried my best to find an appropriate place to post this, i'm not sure if this is where it belongs.

P.P.S. To ease my paranoia about this getting removed if anyone would like to say a prayer for my friend i would appreciate it

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Trying to honor a friend
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 05:00:36 am »
let me start of with saying i'm not pagan. my friend however was, he died in a car crash three years ago on Nov.1 and I feel like i have not been putting as much of an effort as i could into his memory. I grew up celebrating the day of the dead, besides placing pictures of our dead on an altar we also place things that they liked. For Shane all i have is an athame he gave me as a gift once. This is what has brought me here, i would like to say a prayer for him but i don't know one, i would also like to place more meaningful items for him but i don't know what to add. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. I tried my best to find an appropriate place to post this, i'm not sure if this is where it belongs.

P.P.S. To ease my paranoia about this getting removed if anyone would like to say a prayer for my friend i would appreciate it

I'm sorry for your lose, it's tough loosing a friend or companion.  Perhaps instead of placing particular things to remember him, perhaps CDs of his favorite music.  Or throw a birthday party for him every year on his birthday.  It's a practice similar to a "dumb supper" which you can read up on here.  Perhaps if drunk driving or drugs were involved with the crash, you could start non-profit in his name to raise awareness.  There's a lot of good that can be done from organizations like that.

Keep his memory alive, remember all of the good times you had.  Tell stories of him to complete strangers, anyone who'll listen (you can even tell us about him if you like). 
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: Trying to honor a friend
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 05:47:22 pm »
i would like to say a prayer for him but i don't know one

That's actually OK, because there's no one pagan prayer which you're required to use. You could always pray in your own way, or write something which especially honors the bond between you. That could be a prayer. Or a poem. Or an Ode to a Hero.

As for using his athame as a memento, it's cool that you're using an element of his faith to honor him. May I also suggest you add something that speaks to your friendship or common interests. What did you like to do together? If sports, maybe add a team pennant or a jersey. If, say, you saw a lot of movies together, maybe add a ticket stub. How about a cap from a bottle of his favorite beer? (Oh, and if you do offerings, a small helping of his favorite dish or drink might be appropriate.) It really is up to you and what his memory means to you.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: