Re: Recently Blogged by Kylara
[April 14, 2021, 03:40:23 pm]

Re: Where are you on the phantasia spectrum? by PerditaPickle
[April 14, 2021, 01:27:57 pm]

Re: Where are you on the phantasia spectrum? by Sophia C
[April 14, 2021, 10:30:47 am]

Re: Where are you on the phantasia spectrum? by muis
[April 14, 2021, 06:32:05 am]

Author Topic: Prayers and energy requests for a cat, and for a PerditaPickle  (Read 223 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
The semi-stray cat I've been looking after for 2.5 - 3 years (who I previously thought had rehomed himself with a couple along the street, but that turns out not to be the case so he has actually been fully a stray for some time, now); he's got a nasty looking leg injury.

I call him Maverick, but I'm not sure if that was his original name or something I made up along the way.  He's incredibly sweet.

I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow afternoon, assuming I can get an appointment tomorrow.  I hope it's nothing life-shortening or unfeasible to treat, like a tumor; but I've a feeling it's going to need surgery as a minimum, possibly the amputation of the leg if it's even worse than it looks.  So he's in need of prayers and energy, please.

It began with a swollen 'ankle'/'wrist'(?) of his right forepaw, and he was limping then ceased to put any weight on it for a few days.  It was difficult to get a good look at it because he didn't like me touching it.  He then stopped putting any weight on it, and I discovered (visually) that there was not just a swelling but actually a lump under the fur slightly above his dew claw on that leg.  I surmised that perhaps he'd caught the paw somewhere in his travels and suffered the equivalent of a bad sprain, as if it'd been a break I assume he'd have ceased putting weight on it from the outset.  I decided to keep an eye on it for a few days, and initially he did appear to be getting better -- it looked, from what I could tell, as though it was maybe shrinking (or at least not growing) and he started putting weight on that leg again for a while.  I was able to get a close look at it a few nights ago and sized up the lump, so I could properly tell over the next few days if it was shrinking or growing.  Unfortunately, he stopped letting me too near to him after that, as he'd cottoned on that I wanted to keep looking at his sore leg.  Then he stopped putting weight on it again, and I just saw him this afternoon to give him lunch only to discover it looks worse; I believe it's larger and he has clearly been excessively licking it recently to the point where he's lost skin integrity and now it's weeping in a few spots.  So I must phone the vet first thing in the morning to try to get an appointment the same day (I tried ringing them today, but being a bank holiday they were closed).

And so I'm in need of comfort, please, because either way (whether he lives and is rehomed, or has to be euthanized) I'm going to lose him; there's no other option than to get him rehomed once seen by the vet, now.  If he needs surgery then he's also going to need a foster home and attention while he recuperates.  I've bonded with him far more closely than even I realised until now.  I sit outside with him for up to an hour and a half each evening when I give him his dinner.  Sometimes he sits on my knee and has even been known to go to sleep there for a while.  (I'd have adopted him myself, but he's unneutered and we already have a male indoor cat who wouldn't be able to get along with an intact Tom -- plus, my husband's said no.)

I might try asking my friend, who lives a few doors down and is an animal lover like me, whether she'd feel able to take him in if I covered food, vet bills and etc but I think it's a long shot.  She'd have offered to take him in before now if she felt able to.  If not, then I'll contact the rescue where we got our Samson from, 4 years ago now.

Thanks for whatever you can send our way.  Prayers, also, that I'm able to get him in the cat carrier tomorrow please, because that could be a distinct challenge.  Bless his precious little heart.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca
Re: Prayers and energy requests for a cat, and for a PerditaPickle
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 02:41:35 pm »
The semi-stray cat I've been looking after for 2.5 - 3 years (who I previously thought had rehomed himself with a couple along the street, but that turns out not to be the case so he has actually been fully a stray for some time, now); he's got a nasty looking leg injury.

I call him Maverick, but I'm not sure if that was his original name or something I made up along the way.  He's incredibly sweet.

I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow afternoon, assuming I can get an appointment tomorrow.  I hope it's nothing life-shortening or unfeasible to treat, like a tumor; but I've a feeling it's going to need surgery as a minimum, possibly the amputation of the leg if it's even worse than it looks.  So he's in need of prayers and energy, please.

It began with a swollen 'ankle'/'wrist'(?) of his right forepaw, and he was limping then ceased to put any weight on it for a few days.  It was difficult to get a good look at it because he didn't like me touching it.  He then stopped putting any weight on it, and I discovered (visually) that there was not just a swelling but actually a lump under the fur slightly above his dew claw on that leg.  I surmised that perhaps he'd caught the paw somewhere in his travels and suffered the equivalent of a bad sprain, as if it'd been a break I assume he'd have ceased putting weight on it from the outset.  I decided to keep an eye on it for a few days, and initially he did appear to be getting better -- it looked, from what I could tell, as though it was maybe shrinking (or at least not growing) and he started putting weight on that leg again for a while.  I was able to get a close look at it a few nights ago and sized up the lump, so I could properly tell over the next few days if it was shrinking or growing.  Unfortunately, he stopped letting me too near to him after that, as he'd cottoned on that I wanted to keep looking at his sore leg.  Then he stopped putting weight on it again, and I just saw him this afternoon to give him lunch only to discover it looks worse; I believe it's larger and he has clearly been excessively licking it recently to the point where he's lost skin integrity and now it's weeping in a few spots.  So I must phone the vet first thing in the morning to try to get an appointment the same day (I tried ringing them today, but being a bank holiday they were closed).

And so I'm in need of comfort, please, because either way (whether he lives and is rehomed, or has to be euthanized) I'm going to lose him; there's no other option than to get him rehomed once seen by the vet, now.  If he needs surgery then he's also going to need a foster home and attention while he recuperates.  I've bonded with him far more closely than even I realised until now.  I sit outside with him for up to an hour and a half each evening when I give him his dinner.  Sometimes he sits on my knee and has even been known to go to sleep there for a while.  (I'd have adopted him myself, but he's unneutered and we already have a male indoor cat who wouldn't be able to get along with an intact Tom -- plus, my husband's said no.)

I might try asking my friend, who lives a few doors down and is an animal lover like me, whether she'd feel able to take him in if I covered food, vet bills and etc but I think it's a long shot.  She'd have offered to take him in before now if she felt able to.  If not, then I'll contact the rescue where we got our Samson from, 4 years ago now.

Thanks for whatever you can send our way.  Prayers, also, that I'm able to get him in the cat carrier tomorrow please, because that could be a distinct challenge.  Bless his precious little heart.

Prayers and blessings. I will be hoping that Maverick gets to feeling better. I'm so sorry about this situation.
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 06:00:12 pm »

Lost of hugs to you both and prayers going out to Bast for Maverick.
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 04:16:00 pm »

(((Maverick))), with skritches, and prayer to Bast on his behalf.

(((Perdita)))

Suflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 06:01:57 pm »
Prayers and blessings. I will be hoping that Maverick gets to feeling better. I'm so sorry about this situation.

Lost of hugs to you both and prayers going out to Bast for Maverick.

(((Maverick))), with skritches, and prayer to Bast on his behalf.

(((Perdita)))

Suflower

Thank you, all -- it always gives me comfort to receive replies in this thread.

Happy update:

Maverick just had a cat bite abscess, not the other nasty sorts of things I'd been fearing.  I told the vet his history, that he'd been abandoned and basically looked after by myself & a few other neighbours, but outdoors, ever since.  So instead of bandaging or giving him a 'cone of shame' to prevent him licking the wound, she drained it and gave him long-acting antibiotics by injection (rather than pills) plus pain relief and an anti-inflammatory.

Brought the little guy home after and freed him, expecting him to run off (after the stress of being shoved in a cat carrier, then a car, then a vet's surgery, then a car again).  But instead he finished up his plate of tuna, then hobbled over to me to nuzzle my hand!

Just been out to give him his evening meal, and he was out there waiting for me as normal, plus he let me pet him, again as normal.  I've not tried to look at the wound again yet (the vet says I'm to try and clean it if he'll let me, which I doubt).  But I think he's mostly forgiven me already!

The vet said he was good as gold on the examining table as well, accepting the treatments without any sort of a fight.  This special little guy really deserves a lovely home -- I wish I could take him but spouse and existing cat have said no.  I'm waiting on an email back from the animal rescue centre, it's the same one where we adopted out 6 year old cat Sammy from so I know they're good people

Thanks again!.   :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 06:12:55 pm »
The vet said he was good as gold on the examining table as well, accepting the treatments without any sort of a fight.  This special little guy really deserves a lovely home -- I wish I could take him but spouse and existing cat have said no.  I'm waiting on an email back from the animal rescue centre, it's the same one where we adopted out 6 year old cat Sammy from so I know they're good people

So glad it went well!  Lots of prayers that Maverick finds his furever family.
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Tags: