collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: My Grandfather  (Read 1700 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
My Grandfather
« on: May 20, 2012, 01:30:48 pm »
My mother's father is not doing well.

Last fall we found out he'd been put on oxygen 24/7, and wasn't strong enough to care for the horses he loves. He's still on air, and still paying a local kid to care for the horses, and things are getting worse.

In no particular order: there is probably cancer in his lungs, but the asbestosis makes it difficult to tell. He just had a cancerous growth removed from his temple. He's got eye surgery scheduled at the end of the month to reduce glaucoma pressure. He's in Wyoming and the rest of the family is in CT, and we're all just keeping our heads above water- we can't afford to take time off to take care of him, or even just visit, really. The doctor says the humidity in the northeast will make his asbestosis worse and make him die sooner so he's not coming back.

In a nutshell: he's elderly, he's sick, he's in pain, he's alone, and he's afraid. And his family is anxious and sacred and helpless. Any good vibes, peace of mind, anything, for him especially would be deeply appreciated.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

Starglade

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: My Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 01:58:48 pm »
Quote from: Juni;55562

If we can't support one another . . .

::hugs:: Mantras for your grandfather and his family members.
"The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
http://grammargeddon.com

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 02:01:37 pm »

Good thoughts on the way.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 03:22:29 pm »

I'm sorry that you're all in such a difficult situation. I'll be thinking of him.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 06:53:24 pm »

::good thoughts for your grandfather out west and his family back east::
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 07:23:33 pm »

In a nutshell: he's elderly, he's sick, he's in pain, he's alone, and he's afraid. And his family is anxious and sacred and helpless. Any good vibes, peace of mind, anything, for him especially would be deeply appreciated.

May your grandfather be comforted knowing how much his family loves him.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Selendrile

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:37:29 pm »

Last fall we found out he'd been put on oxygen 24/7, and wasn't strong enough to care for the horses he loves. He's still on air, and still paying a local kid to care for the horses, and things are getting worse.

In no particular order: there is probably cancer in his lungs, but the asbestosis makes it difficult to tell. He just had a cancerous growth removed from his temple. He's got eye surgery scheduled at the end of the month to reduce glaucoma pressure. He's in Wyoming and the rest of the family is in CT, and we're all just keeping our heads above water- we can't afford to take time off to take care of him, or even just visit, really. The doctor says the humidity in the northeast will make his asbestosis worse and make him die sooner so he's not coming back.

Good thoughts on their way!

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 09:10:58 pm »

((((Juni and grandfather))))

Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers. What a difficult situation.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:40:18 pm »

Love to your grandfather and to all of yours and you.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 05:11:27 pm »

(((Juni, Grandfather & family)))

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:14:57 pm »

Not being able to get to ailing grandparents is hell. You're all in my thoughts.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:41:06 pm »

Thanks everyone.

I just got some news from my mother: he is getting worse. His feet are swollen, he's having muscle weakness, and having symptoms that he had before his last heart stent was inserted. He says he won't be able to pass the stress test before his eye surgery as he is now. He has an appointment with his cardiologist soon, and might be having a third stent inserted. We are all, obviously, worried and stressed. I don't know if he's strong enough to survive another major surgery.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 01:50:17 pm »
Quote from: Juni;56158
Thanks everyone.

I just got some news from my mother: he is getting worse. His feet are swollen, he's having muscle weakness, and having symptoms that he had before his last heart stent was inserted. He says he won't be able to pass the stress test before his eye surgery as he is now. He has an appointment with his cardiologist soon, and might be having a third stent inserted. We are all, obviously, worried and stressed. I don't know if he's strong enough to survive another major surgery.

(((((Juni)))))

Prayers are going out to Sekhmet for him.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 02:35:17 pm »
We are all, obviously, worried and stressed. I don't know if he's strong enough to survive another major surgery.

(((Juni + Family)))
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:08 am »

A few days ago, my grandfather passed out in his kitchen. We're not sure how long he was out, but he called 911 and got brought to the hospital by ambulance. After days of phone tag to find out what's going on, we learned he's been coughing up blood for a few days- which is apparently due to his asbestosis- and hasn't been eating well for months.

My mother and aunt flew out there last night, and about 10 minutes after their arrival in the wee hours of the morning, he had to be intubated because of breathing issues. Right now they're doing a procedure to check his lungs for infection. My uncles are driving out, and they expect to make it to the hospital tonight.

I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that this is the end. And that's okay. But if anyone could spare some energy, some thoughts, to help him hold on until my uncles get there- so everyone can say goodbye- I'd be deeply appreciative.

Thanks, everyone. For everything.

Tags: