collapse

Author Topic: Living with a super-conservative Baptist grandmother for a month  (Read 3192 times)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Hi, y'all. I know I've been AWOL for several weeks. Here's the good stuff going on in my life:

1) Successfully climbed out of a serious bout of depression. When did the sky turn that lovely shade of blue?!
2) Done with summer classes and have a month to relax and work!
3) Getting involved with Pagan Pride Day in my area!
4) Ponies

The bad stuff:

The college kicked me off campus for the month of no summer school and won't let me move into my dorm room for this fall even though I and my roommate are already in the area. I want to keep my job and social commitments in the area (PPD planning stuff, coven stuff, friend stuff) and I do NOT want to go back to my hometown for a month, where I'd have to return to Food Lion to work and essentially be isolated from everyone but family. Yuck. So, to stay for free in Roanoke... I'm staying with my mother's mother.

My grandmother is... interesting. She's got depression and ADD but refuses to take her prescribed medication for either of them. She's racist and homophobic as hell. She hovers. She's demeaning towards everyone she's ever in contact with. She goes through stuff and suitcases (meaning that most of my Pagan books had to be relocated elsewhere). She thinks my parents are going to hell for converting to Presbyterianism. And everything, everything in the world has to do with her. She's the center of the cosmos, after all.

Anyway, first order of business in my return to TC after my impromptu vacation: ask for prayers and support while I'm living with this... woman who happens to be genetically related to me.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
Re: Living with a super-conservative Baptist grandmother for a month
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 06:01:12 pm »
Quote from: Sage;9762

Yay for the good stuff, ((((hugs)))) for the bad. Might want to consider a locking suitcase or something similar, if the need for privacy becomes too terrible. Good Luck! :cf:
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:54:18 pm »
Hi, y'all. I know I've been AWOL for several weeks. Here's the good stuff going on in my life:

1) Successfully climbed out of a serious bout of depression. When did the sky turn that lovely shade of blue?!
2) Done with summer classes and have a month to relax and work!
3) Getting involved with Pagan Pride Day in my area!
4) Ponies

The bad stuff:

The college kicked me off campus for the month of no summer school and won't let me move into my dorm room for this fall even though I and my roommate are already in the area. I want to keep my job and social commitments in the area (PPD planning stuff, coven stuff, friend stuff) and I do NOT want to go back to my hometown for a month, where I'd have to return to Food Lion to work and essentially be isolated from everyone but family. Yuck. So, to stay for free in Roanoke... I'm staying with my mother's mother.

My grandmother is... interesting. She's got depression and ADD but refuses to take her prescribed medication for either of them. She's racist and homophobic as hell. She hovers. She's demeaning towards everyone she's ever in contact with. She goes through stuff and suitcases (meaning that most of my Pagan books had to be relocated elsewhere). She thinks my parents are going to hell for converting to Presbyterianism. And everything, everything in the world has to do with her. She's the center of the cosmos, after all.

Anyway, first order of business in my return to TC after my impromptu vacation: ask for prayers and support while I'm living with this... woman who happens to be genetically related to me.

Kudos for the positives!  Especially #1 since that sure as hell ain't easy.  I do like how the world goes into "High-Def" when this happens.

As for grandma... my condolences on that.  It sounds truly nightmarish.  Can you setup any boundaries with this woman?  It's seriously messed up that she cannot respect anyone's privacy and therefore you have to hide things (although that's probably the best option in the interests of keeping the peace.)
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Monica Mc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:06:59 pm »

((((Ellen)))) Ah, the joys of family. I hope it all works out better than you expect. And congrats on having lots of good stuff going on at the same time as this.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 11:37:41 pm »

Jeez, it sounds like living with the Dursleys, with less entertainment value.

((((hugs)))) Will be praying for you to survive living with...family. (I have trouble believing some of my relatives are related to me as well.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

sugarmagnolia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 01:46:46 am »

Kudos on the good stuff!  Hugs and virtual triple chocolate chip cookies for the bad stuff. I wonder if your grandmother is related to my MIL?

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 01:51:24 am »
Quote from: Morag;9820
Jeez, it sounds like living with the Dursleys, with less entertainment value.

((((hugs)))) Will be praying for you to survive living with...family. (I have trouble believing some of my relatives are related to me as well.)

Sounds like my MIL, too. I'll be thinking of you. {{{Ellen}}}
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 07:22:20 am »

I'll keep you in my thoughts, and before you know it, it will be September and you will be free again!
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 07:40:45 am »

Just remember, it's better than the alternatives ....

Take her as an object lesson of who you never want to be.  :p

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 12:24:43 pm »

Very big congrats on all the good - most especially #1!!!  I think your grandmother and my mother are long lost twins so (((((((hugs)))))) if you need a venting board you've got one!  Will keep you in my thoughts through all this!
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 06:54:33 pm »

[[[[Ellen]]]] Thank the Gods you only have to put up with that for a month.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 06:57:29 pm »

If she were Methodist instead of Baptist, I'd swear you and I were cousins. And I'm staying with mine at the moment, too. *hugs* I feel your pain.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Tags: