Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Kinda sorta coming out of the broom closet. Need lucky wishes...  (Read 1525 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Okay...so, I've never hidden my spirituality from my parents, but I've never talked about it either. It's just never come up. My family has always been very religious, but we're not the type to TALK about it. We just DO it. When we were all Catholic, this wasn't a problem, but now I'm...not on the same page as everyone else.

My mom has a better idea of what's going on than my dad, because she's on Facebook and has seen my posts (like I said, I've never HIDDEN it.) But my dad...just has never seen it. We've never talked, and I don't know what my mom has told him.

I came back to my parents' house today for a change of scenery and brought some of my stuff - my statue, censer, athame, and some candles. I set them up in the back while I worked, because having them around is helpful for me. Unfortunately, I couldn't set up in my old room, because it's being used for storage right now. So I was in the guest room with the printer. And my dad comes in and sees my setup and has a very mild, totally Dad freakout - "what's THAT???" in a voice that makes me feel like I'm two inches tall.

"It's my stuff..."

"It looks like an altar." - sounds really almost disgusted. I feel even smaller.

I know he doesn't mean it. This is just the way he is. He has a habit of being dismissive and sarcastic without intending to. I stopped watching TV when he was around, because I got tired of his snide comments about my favorite programs.

I just called my mom and told her basically that I've been through some profound spiritual changes, and I want to tell them both about it. I think she will understand, because she's going through some changes herself. But I'm just scared that what I say will come out wrong, or that when I tell them things, they'll think I'm crazy.

So...please wish me luck.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kinda sorta coming out of the broom closet. Need lucky wishes...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 04:26:02 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;147303
I came back to my parents' house today for a change of scenery and brought some of my stuff - my statue, censer, athame, and some candles. I set them up in the back while I worked, because having them around is helpful for me. Unfortunately, I couldn't set up in my old room, because it's being used for storage right now. So I was in the guest room with the printer.

And my dad comes in and sees my setup and has a very mild, totally Dad freakout - "what's THAT???" in a voice that makes me feel like I'm two inches tall.

"It's my stuff..."

"It looks like an altar." - sounds really almost disgusted. I feel even smaller.

I know he doesn't mean it. This is just the way he is. He has a habit of being dismissive and sarcastic without intending to. I stopped watching TV when he was around, because I got tired of his snide comments about my favorite programs.

I just called my mom and told her basically that I've been through some profound spiritual changes, and I want to tell them both about it. I think she will understand, because she's going through some changes herself. But I'm just scared that what I say will come out wrong, or that when I tell them things, they'll think I'm crazy.

Phewww... awkward...

You have my best wishes for a home that shall nurture your spirit and soul and honor your faith.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 05:15:32 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;147305
Phewww... awkward...

You have my best wishes for a home that shall nurture your spirit and soul and honor your faith.

It doesn't look like the talk will be necessary. My dad explained that he was merely "surprised" and not shocked or offended.

However, I did have a long talk with my mom, and finally convinced her to stop dismissing the fact that experiences like this where I feel that I'm being condemned, or even just teased, are a serious trigger for me due to the emotional baggage I'm carrying from elementary and middle school, and that she can't expect me to deal rationally with what is an irrational psychological reaction stemming from a traumatic time in my life.

So yeah. At least she's agreed that we're going to go back to therapy now.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

MightyAntler

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 05:53:22 pm »

I wish an agreeable outcome for you. May your parents be understanding and accepting; may this have a positive impact on both you and them. :)
Yours in hobbit homes,
MightyAntler

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 10:37:23 pm »
Okay...so, I've never hidden my spirituality from my parents, but I've never talked about it either. It's just never come up. My family has always been very religious, but we're not the type to TALK about it. We just DO it. When we were all Catholic, this wasn't a problem, but now I'm...not on the same page as everyone else.

My mom has a better idea of what's going on than my dad, because she's on Facebook and has seen my posts (like I said, I've never HIDDEN it.) But my dad...just has never seen it. We've never talked, and I don't know what my mom has told him.

I came back to my parents' house today for a change of scenery and brought some of my stuff - my statue, censer, athame, and some candles. I set them up in the back while I worked, because having them around is helpful for me. Unfortunately, I couldn't set up in my old room, because it's being used for storage right now. So I was in the guest room with the printer. And my dad comes in and sees my setup and has a very mild, totally Dad freakout - "what's THAT???" in a voice that makes me feel like I'm two inches tall.

"It's my stuff..."

I do wish you luck, and I always want to say that I find out really brave. My parents are kind of the same way, it's not that they say things, it's the WAY they say them. I don't know if I could ever come out to them about this kind of thing, so that's why I think your really brave for doing so. Good luck, and if you ever want to talk, just pm me.
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Arthurine

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 02:04:43 pm »

"It's my stuff..."

Best best best best luck and wishes, I hope everything goes better than you're expecting. <3

With any luck, I\'ll grow up to be Nanny Ogg.    

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 05:50:48 pm »

"It's my stuff..."

Ooooh. Been there. Except when my Mom found out I'm a witch, she called me a freak. It sounds like you can talk to your parents. Just remember people fear what they don't understand, and it might take them a while to process this. It sounds like to me that you'll be ok.

Tags: