Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Job interview...ish  (Read 2378 times)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Job interview...ish
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:49:13 pm »
So I've been out of work since September, partly to focus on school and getting some health issues sorted out and partly due to not having a job anymore (third layoff since '08). Anyway, I'm in limbo regarding a TSO position at Seatac (I've done my part now I'm waiting on the feds, and waiting, and waiting). I got a call today about a position that is going to run from late September to late December as a call center sales rep person - not pushing product but answering questions for online and catalogue customers etc, they want to do a phone interview tomorrow.

So, any good vibes prayers etc would be very much appreciated but in addition I'm curious as to whether anyone has done a phone interview for a position like this before? I've done very brief get-to-know-you interviews over the phone in the past but would really appreciate any insight.

Sadistica

• View Profile
Re: Job interview...ish
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:02:23 pm »
Quote from: Asch;4563
So I've been out of work since September, partly to focus on school and getting some health issues sorted out and partly due to not having a job anymore (third layoff since '08). Anyway, I'm in limbo regarding a TSO position at Seatac (I've done my part now I'm waiting on the feds, and waiting, and waiting). I got a call today about a position that is going to run from late September to late December as a call center sales rep person - not pushing product but answering questions for online and catalogue customers etc, they want to do a phone interview tomorrow.

So, any good vibes prayers etc would be very much appreciated but in addition I'm curious as to whether anyone has done a phone interview for a position like this before? I've done very brief get-to-know-you interviews over the phone in the past but would really appreciate any insight.

Ill light some candles and send some vibes for you. They do phone interviews to get a feel of your phone etiquette and voice. They want to see how you handle phone conversations. Its really easy and way more comfortable than face to face so you can be more you. Then when you go in for a face to face, youve already talked to that person for a while and your less nervous. Good luck!

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 05:19:13 pm »
Quote from: Sadistica;4565
Ill light some candles and send some vibes for you. They do phone interviews to get a feel of your phone etiquette and voice. They want to see how you handle phone conversations. Its really easy and way more comfortable than face to face so you can be more you. Then when you go in for a face to face, youve already talked to that person for a while and your less nervous. Good luck!

What Sadistica said!  Candles lit and prayers being said for you, and yes, the phone interview is so they can see what your phone presence is like.  You'll do great, just be calm and be yourself.
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:47:57 pm »

I haven't done phone interviews for that particular kind of position before, but I've done lots of phone interviews.

Stuff of possible use:
- Interviewing with 1-2 people is different than interviewing with a panel of 6 - in the latter, it can be hard to remember who's speaking, what their role is, etc. If you can get a list in advance, or take notes as they introduce themselves, it helps a lot. (However, people will get that you may not catch all the names, etc. if there's a bunch of people.)

- I find something a friend (faculty at a small university told me) - when they do phone interview panels, they wear silly hats and things like reindeer antler headbands. Picturing your phone interviewers wearing things like that can keep you smiling, which makes you sound great.

- Take a breath before you answer - because you can't see visual cues of "Your turn to talk", sometimes someone will take a breath in a place you think is a "go ahead now" but they still had stuff to say. Taking a breath (or counting to 5) before you reply makes you sound more coherent, and helps you avoid talking over someone accidentally.

- Speak pleasantly and clearly.

- If you're getting interviewed for a customer service position, I'd anticipate questions about how you've handled a different customer service position in the past, especially one where you were communicating by phone, but other kinds of things (working with someone who's really upset, demanding to speak to a manager, etc.)

The cool thing about phone interviews is you can have notes up in front of you - have a few example stories outlined where you can easily remind yourself of them.

- Have a couple of questions for them. My favorite, snagged from the Ask A Manager blog, is one that usually blows managers away: it's "Thinking back to people who have been amazing in this position, what made them stand out?" It's a great question that tells you a lot about the culture and environment, but also makes you look really good. (She has lots of other great interview tips: http://askamanager.org)

- People say you should be just as dressed up for a phone interview as for a face to face one, which I sort of go "bah" at now. But do wear something that makes you feel sharp and energetic (but comfy). If you think you might walk around while talking, wear quiet shoes.

- And most importantly, do whatever you can to ensure a good phone connection without much background noise. Go sit in your car on a quiet street, lock pets out of the room you're in (if they won't make more noise in the process), etc. If you can use a landline that's better, but I did all of mine by cell, because that's what I had (and had one really lousy connection, and the rest it was fine.)

Good luck!
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Monica Mc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:04:03 am »

Good job vibes for you.

And as far as phone interview tips go I would say make sure there is nobody else around, make an effort to smile when you talk becuase it makes you sound better, go to the toilet before the interview (nothing worse than having to hold on for 45 minutes) and having a glass of water handy.

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:06:56 am »

Good luck energy on the way to you
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 11:28:01 pm »

Good luck! :cf:

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 05:19:03 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;5597
Good luck! :cf:

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone. Unfortunately, while I thought the interview went well, I didn't get the job. Instead I got an email thanking me for my time :(. Honestly though thank you all for your thoughtful responses. Much appreciated.

Back to the drawing board.

Tags: