Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Injured my leg, possibly severely  (Read 7814 times)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Injured my leg, possibly severely
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 01:49:29 pm »
Quote from: Morag;152638

Had an appointment at the cast clinic today. I'm not getting a plaster cast because my leg is apparently shaped weird?* and it wouldn't be much better than the IMMOBILIZER FROM HELL that I'm currently wearing. However, I did get the news that I'm allowed to take the immobilizer off when I'm lying in bed or on the chair or whatever, and I can take it off to shower -- so assuming mom brings the shower chair over from the condo this weekend I might actually be able to shower more often than once a week, which would be great for my nose. (I have learned that Ogre's odor-blocking shower gel does not work worth a damn on me. My sweat is just too powerful. It can defeat anything. I should be a superhero...named Sweatpants. Because my sweat is my power and I'm pants at everything else. Anyway, moving along from the TMI but trust me, y'all are lucky to be many miles away from me right now.)

I'm not supposed to put any weight on my left foot/leg for 6 weeks and I need to schedule another appointment with this doctor in 2 weeks time so he can see how things are progressing. If I put any weight on the left foot, the break might come apart and then I'll need surgery. As it is right now the femur is staying together and should heal up nicely.

Apparently the break is on the anterior side, not the medial (or maybe it's right through! I don't know exactly), so I'm guessing that's what the sliding/grinding feeling of excruciating pain was. He didn't say anything about ligament damage so I guess I don't have any? I really hope that's the case.

Ogre and I are going to look into maybe renting a wheelchair so that in a few weeks I can maybe have a slightly more normal, less shut-in life. There's only so far I can hop on the crutches before I want to fall over and die.

*that plus looking at the CT scans totally didn't make me feel like a freak of nature, nope.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 02:36:19 pm »
Quote from: Morag;152683
Had an appointment at the cast clinic today. I'm not getting a plaster cast because my leg is apparently shaped weird?* and it wouldn't be much better than the IMMOBILIZER FROM HELL that I'm currently wearing. However, I did get the news that I'm allowed to take the immobilizer off when I'm lying in bed or on the chair or whatever, and I can take it off to shower -- so assuming mom brings the shower chair over from the condo this weekend I might actually be able to shower more often than once a week, which would be great for my nose. (I have learned that Ogre's odor-blocking shower gel does not work worth a damn on me. My sweat is just too powerful. It can defeat anything. I should be a superhero...named Sweatpants. Because my sweat is my power and I'm pants at everything else. Anyway, moving along from the TMI but trust me, y'all are lucky to be many miles away from me right now.)

I'm not supposed to put any weight on my left foot/leg for 6 weeks and I need to schedule another appointment with this doctor in 2 weeks time so he can see how things are progressing. If I put any weight on the left foot, the break might come apart and then I'll need surgery. As it is right now the femur is staying together and should heal up nicely.

Apparently the break is on the anterior side, not the medial (or maybe it's right through! I don't know exactly), so I'm guessing that's what the sliding/grinding feeling of excruciating pain was. He didn't say anything about ligament damage so I guess I don't have any? I really hope that's the case.

Ogre and I are going to look into maybe renting a wheelchair so that in a few weeks I can maybe have a slightly more normal, less shut-in life. There's only so far I can hop on the crutches before I want to fall over and die.

*that plus looking at the CT scans totally didn't make me feel like a freak of nature, nope.

Whelp, I will work double-time to pump out boring normalcy for you. Cuz damn, that sucks.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 03:18:32 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;152687
Whelp, I will work double-time to pump out boring normalcy for you. Cuz damn, that sucks.

Thank you. I really appreciate it. :)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 06:57:23 pm »
Quote from: Morag;152683

Right, so, I had that appointment so I figure I should update y'all with what's going on.

He wants me to keep off it for 2 months, basically, so that's the end of September. I'm supposed to go back at the end of August for another check up.

I finally got a straight answer about ligament or meniscus damage: they don't know, and won't know until the fracture is healed because examining the leg now could further split apart the bone.

So I could still have permanent knee damage. I'm also going to need physio after the fracture heals, the doc said.

So at this point I have no idea when I'll be able to walk or even enjoy a normal life again but I'm not holding onto too much hope, because hope is poison. I had some before the appt and it hurt more than if I had had none.

Right now I'm looking at being cooped up in the house during my favourite time of year, and our first fall together. I was planning on decorating for Halloween now that I finally have a place to call my own, and, well.... I'm also looking at the likelihood of missing out on volunteering for the event that I do every year and look forward to starting at least in February. This is extremely depressing for me.

so...I'm going to go drown my sorrows in milk and cookies, which Ogre is being kind enough to bring to me.  

thank you to everyone for your support and love during this. I really do appreciate it, even if I'm sounding more depressing than gravity x 20 right now.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 07:08:29 pm »
Quote from: Morag;154044

Right now I'm looking at being cooped up in the house during my favourite time of year, and our first fall together. I was planning on decorating for Halloween now that I finally have a place to call my own, and, well.... I'm also looking at the likelihood of missing out on volunteering for the event that I do every year and look forward to starting at least in February. This is extremely depressing for me.

(((Morag))) that sucks! Any luck with the wheelchair rental?

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2014, 07:23:08 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;154047
(((Morag))) that sucks! Any luck with the wheelchair rental?

Thanks Catherine. Apparently yes; the in-laws procured one for me and we're picking it up tomorrow. It even has a leg rest, which is nice and way better than the hospital wheelchairs.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2014, 07:29:32 pm »
Quote from: Morag;154048
Thanks Catherine. Apparently yes; the in-laws procured one for me and we're picking it up tomorrow. It even has a leg rest, which is nice and way better than the hospital wheelchairs.

Good!

Ok, you're might think I'm full of shit, but I swear, I just had an image (thought, flash, weird brain thing) of tM pushing a chariot towards you.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »

thank you to everyone for your support and love during this. I really do appreciate it, even if I'm sounding more depressing than gravity x 20 right now.

I hope the best for you Morag. I sympathise as someone who managed to break my heel, and was laid up for a bit. For the record in my case I was told I may not walk the same, would be out of work for a few months, and would require physical thereapy....and I was walking and back to work and discharged 5 weeks later. They also said I should think of a new hobby when I asked when I could return to martial arts, and I've had cage fight competitions since......so be optimistic as hell!

While you're on the mend, look into some comfrey(knit bone) oil, and a good dose of calcium. We'll be seeing a positive update soon enough :)
Semper Fidelis

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 07:00:43 pm »

even if I'm sounding more depressing than gravity x 20 right now.

If Sandra Bullock could survive her ordeal, you can too!

Seriously though, suckage. You WILL get through this, one way or another. In the meantime, look at this as an opportunity to get lots of reading and writing done. And to spend lots more time at the Cauldron.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 07:58:39 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;154049
Good!

Ok, you're might think I'm full of shit, but I swear, I just had an image (thought, flash, weird brain thing) of tM pushing a chariot towards you.

I don't think you're full of shit! I have actually been having strange dreams involving Her lately. I'm pretty sure She's trying to tell me something; I just, you know, have no idea what.

So I am noting down what you saw, adding it to the list of "weird tM things," and hoping something becomes clear to me soon. :)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 08:02:58 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;154197
I hope the best for you Morag. I sympathise as someone who managed to break my heel, and was laid up for a bit. For the record in my case I was told I may not walk the same, would be out of work for a few months, and would require physical thereapy....and I was walking and back to work and discharged 5 weeks later. They also said I should think of a new hobby when I asked when I could return to martial arts, and I've had cage fight competitions since......so be optimistic as hell!

While you're on the mend, look into some comfrey(knit bone) oil, and a good dose of calcium. We'll be seeing a positive update soon enough :)

Thank you Micheál! Hearing your story makes me feel a little better, actually. :)

Mom's coming down tomorrow to help out so I'll ask her about getting me some comfrey oil. I know she's bringing calcium, and chicken soup, and a bunch of other stuff too.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 08:06:41 pm »
Quote from: Altair;154206
If Sandra Bullock could survive her ordeal, you can too!

Ok, this actually made me laugh out loud. =D

Quote from: Altair;154206
Seriously though, suckage. You WILL get through this, one way or another. In the meantime, look at this as an opportunity to get lots of reading and writing done. And to spend lots more time at the Cauldron.

Lots of writing, definitely! I've done over 20,000 words this month already. Reading, hopefully more in the near future.

And yes, I've been at TC a lot too. Mostly lurking, but still here.  ^_^
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 08:41:22 pm »
Quote from: Morag;154227
Thank you Micheál! Hearing your story makes me feel a little better, actually. :)

Mom's coming down tomorrow to help out so I'll ask her about getting me some comfrey oil. I know she's bringing calcium, and chicken soup, and a bunch of other stuff too.

Avoid spinach.  It slows down bone regrowth and repair when broken pieces are knitting back together.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 08:44:10 pm »
Quote from: Morag;154228

Lots of writing, definitely! I've done over 20,000 words this month already.

Excellent. I've been silently, patiently waiting for more good stuff like "The Story of the Smith." My patience grows thin...don't make me have to come over there...
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 08:44:49 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;154232
Avoid spinach.  It slows down bone regrowth and repair when broken pieces are knitting back together.

No worries there. Not a huge spinach fan. ;)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Tags: