collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: My stupid car.  (Read 1825 times)

GreyWolf

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
My stupid car.
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:43:32 pm »
This seems so dumb to be asking for energies for such a minor problem, but my car needs to be inspected tomorrow, and my check engine light came on. It has come on in the past, but my mechanic had assured me it was just a problem with the sensor, and not a problem with the engine. It went off for a long time, then recently came back on. Tomorrow, I have to get it safety inspected, and I know they're going to fail my car if the light doesn't pop back off. I don't have the money to get it repaired, so I'm really, really nervous. UGH...thanks for any sort of positive energy sent my way...

victoreia

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Honolulu, HI
  • Posts: 888
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:11:52 pm »
Quote from: GreyWolf;16723
This seems so dumb to be asking for energies for such a minor problem, but my car needs to be inspected tomorrow, and my check engine light came on. It has come on in the past, but my mechanic had assured me it was just a problem with the sensor, and not a problem with the engine. It went off for a long time, then recently came back on. Tomorrow, I have to get it safety inspected, and I know they're going to fail my car if the light doesn't pop back off. I don't have the money to get it repaired, so I'm really, really nervous. UGH...thanks for any sort of positive energy sent my way...

 
*crossing fingers* :cf:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Owl

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 587
  • Country: 00
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:23:36 pm »
Quote from: GreyWolf;16723
.


Good luck!  I know the feeling!
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

hufflee

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:41:46 pm »
Quote from: GreyWolf;16723


My sympathies as I'm in the same boat. I wish for you what I wish for myself.......a happy and healthy vehicle!!!!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

GreyWolf

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:53:30 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;16730
*crossing fingers* :cf:

 
Thank you everyone! I'm soo nervous.

Marilyn/Absentminded

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • *
  • Posts: 975
    • View Profile
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:12:09 pm »
Quote from: GreyWolf;16723


 
That's something you'll have to get checked out eventually, but for the short term:  before you go to your test centre disconnect your battery for five minutes.  When you reconnect it the check engine light should not come on immediately.  It's better if you are close to the centre.

In the meantime, make sure your gas cap is tight - it's amazing how often that will put the light on.

Absent - it worked for me, hopefully it works for you too.
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

   In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

GreyWolf

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 10:18:50 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;16747
before you go to your test centre disconnect your battery for five minutes.  When you reconnect it the check engine light should not come on immediately.  It's better if you are close to the centre.


I have NO car skills, and have no idea how to disconnect a battery :eek:

Marilyn/Absentminded

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • *
  • Posts: 975
    • View Profile
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 10:46:54 pm »
Quote from: GreyWolf;16752
I have NO car skills, and have no idea how to disconnect a battery :eek:

 
I am .... gobsmacked.  Do you have anyone who could do it for you?

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

   In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

GreyWolf

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:56:18 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;16766
I am .... gobsmacked.  Do you have anyone who could do it for you?

Absent

 
Not that I know of...lol I'm pretty shameful, I know. :o :ashamed: *Sigh* I think I will just have to hope for the best, and pray that I don't have *major* repairs to make.

sugarmagnolia

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 49
    • View Profile
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 03:38:55 am »
Quote from: GreyWolf;16767
Not that I know of...lol I'm pretty shameful, I know. :o :ashamed: *Sigh* I think I will just have to hope for the best, and pray that I don't have *major* repairs to make.


 If you lived near me I could do it for you. Since you don't, take your car to the nearest parts store and throw yourself on the mercy of the parts counter.  They are usually more than willing to help.

 Do you know what your car battery looks like and where it's located?  Some cars have it hidden.  Once you've located the battery, use a crescent wrench to disconnect one of the cables, move it completely away from the battery post, wait about 15 minutes then reconnect it.  

Depending on what kind of car you have, a new gas cap will run in the neighborhood of $20.  Over time, the seal in the cap can wear out, causing the check engine light to come on.  Many times a new gas cap is all that is needed instead of a new sensor.

GreyWolf

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 06:08:19 pm »
Quote from: sugarmagnolia;16810
If you lived near me I could do it for you. Since you don't, take your car to the nearest parts store and throw yourself on the mercy of the parts counter.  They are usually more than willing to help.

 Do you know what your car battery looks like and where it's located?  Some cars have it hidden.  Once you've located the battery, use a crescent wrench to disconnect one of the cables, move it completely away from the battery post, wait about 15 minutes then reconnect it.  

Depending on what kind of car you have, a new gas cap will run in the neighborhood of $20.  Over time, the seal in the cap can wear out, causing the check engine light to come on.  Many times a new gas cap is all that is needed instead of a new sensor.

 
Well my mom talked to our auto mechanic, and I'm bringing it there later on tonight and they are going to look at it tomorrow. They are actually really honest and fair. So HOPEFULLY....it's gonna be a small repair. :eek:

JuniperMorgan

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 197
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 08:56:45 pm »
Quote from: GreyWolf;16946
Well my mom talked to our auto mechanic, and I'm bringing it there later on tonight and they are going to look at it tomorrow. They are actually really honest and fair. So HOPEFULLY....it's gonna be a small repair. :eek:

 
I didn't see this in time...but I hope things went alright for you!
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

GreyWolf

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: My stupid car.
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 10:52:09 pm »
Quote from: JuniperMorgan;17721
I didn't see this in time...but I hope things went alright for you!

 
Well, it was alright. I wound up paying 300 to get it repaired and the sticker. A bit more than I was intending, but it could have been worse. I get paid this upcoming week, so just a few days of being broke...

Thank you ALL for all your advice/good thoughts/energies. :) I really appreciate it.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
75 Replies
4928 Views
Last post February 23, 2013, 07:33:39 pm
by RedHawk
4 Replies
634 Views
Last post November 06, 2013, 08:26:04 am
by RandallS
4 Replies
736 Views
Last post April 07, 2014, 11:34:43 am
by Phouka
2 Replies
601 Views
Last post May 28, 2014, 04:13:57 pm
by Melamphoros
1 Replies
931 Views
Last post May 02, 2018, 09:04:56 am
by Jenett

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall