Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: For an easy and safe journey  (Read 3146 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
For an easy and safe journey
« on: July 17, 2014, 05:17:13 am »
I am sitting at the gate in the Raleigh International Airport, waiting for my flight to Houston. It will be another hour or so. I'm pretty calm right now. The flight to Houston is fairly short, and there will be scenery....and my mom will be there.

It's once I get on the flight to Tokyo that I'm worried. I'll be alone, with nothing to see out the window but the smooth expanse of the Pacific Ocean. And it's going to take 18 hours. Over the Pacific Ocean. Alone.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: For an easy and safe journey
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 06:11:58 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;153144
I am sitting at the gate in the Raleigh International Airport, waiting for my flight to Houston. It will be another hour or so. I'm pretty calm right now. The flight to Houston is fairly short, and there will be scenery....and my mom will be there.

It's once I get on the flight to Tokyo that I'm worried. I'll be alone, with nothing to see out the window but the smooth expanse of the Pacific Ocean. And it's going to take 18 hours. Over the Pacific Ocean. Alone.

{{Redfaery}} May Manannan carry you through the clouds on his chariot. May your gods and spirits go with you, so that you are never alone.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 10:23:30 am »
Thank you. I'm doing well so far. I've got Joren, and I feel like Sarasvati has settled her energy into me at a subtle, unobtrusive level.

It's just that sort of gentle, pervasive sense of clarity that suffuses my entire body. I didn't realize it was her until a few minutes ago, when I sat down to enjoy some frozen yogurt in the food court, and now it's so strong and distinct that yeah, I know it's her!. (She and I share a passion for dairy treats; I think she wanted a taste.)

So I'm in Houston right now. My flight leaves at 11:15, and my flight boards at 10:25.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 03:03:38 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;153156
Thank you. I'm doing well so far. I've got Joren, and I feel like Sarasvati has settled her energy into me at a subtle, unobtrusive level.

It's just that sort of gentle, pervasive sense of clarity that suffuses my entire body. I didn't realize it was her until a few minutes ago, when I sat down to enjoy some frozen yogurt in the food court, and now it's so strong and distinct that yeah, I know it's her!. (She and I share a passion for dairy treats; I think she wanted a taste.)

So I'm in Houston right now. My flight leaves at 11:15, and my flight boards at 10:25.

I hope everything's going well. Keep us updated if you can!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 12:27:06 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;153144

((((Redfaery)))) You'll probably be there safe and sound by the time you read this. Hopefully your plane travels up the coast of Alaska so you don't spend too much time over open ocean :D

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 12:55:58 pm »
Quote from: Sisu;153213
((((Redfaery)))) You'll probably be there safe and sound by the time you read this. Hopefully your plane travels up the coast of Alaska so you don't spend too much time over open ocean :D

That is indeed what we did.;) I remember looking at the flight path map and thinking, "we're flying past Korea" and then going "what a strange thought."

I watched all the movies I wanted to see in theaters but didn't, because I hate theaters, like The Muppets and The Lego Movie, as well as Captain America, and The Avengers, and I rewatched the Royal Tenenbaums.

But by the time I got to my hotel, I'd been up for 24 hours straight, and I was starting to crack under the stress. There was some stuff I didn't know about because the mailings from the group organizing the trip weren't clear to me in the worst way possible (i.e., I looked at them and thought "nope, not missing anything," when in fact, yes....important information here!) So I ended up breaking down and sobbing in the hotel lobby when I learned about a trip to an onsen in the mountains where I'd have to share a room with 4 other people.

But....the CIEE people were just heroically sweet. They told me they would send me ahead to Tokyo, and to just go up to my room and SLEEP. I was too tired and cranky to really appreciate it yesterday, but I'm really thankful!

KonJelen

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 05:08:17 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;153238
That is indeed what we did.;) I remember looking at the flight path map and thinking, "we're flying past Korea" and then going "what a strange thought."[...]

But by the time I got to my hotel, I'd been up for 24 hours straight, and I was starting to crack under the stress. [...]

But....the CIEE people were just heroically sweet. They told me they would send me ahead to Tokyo, and to just go up to my room and SLEEP. I was too tired and cranky to really appreciate it yesterday, but I'm really thankful!

Ah, I've just seen this! So, 18 hours, huh:eek: That's impressive. When I went to Japan I spent 10 on a non-stop flight, and a few of them - crying:ashamed:

Glad you're ok and the people are helpful and understanding! May you feel at home very soon:)
(Onsen and sharing rooms is the horror to me, too...)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 06:23:59 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;153238
So I ended up breaking down and sobbing in the hotel lobby when I learned about a trip to an onsen in the mountains where I'd have to share a room with 4 other people.

They wanted to send you all on a trip into the mountains RIGHT after your flight? :eek: Wtf????

I'm glad there were some very nice people that got you on your way to get good and proper sleep! An 18+ hour flight is a hard and tiring thing to go through; you can't just expect people to be ready and willing to go on a mini-trip right after flying!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 02:09:53 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;153252
They wanted to send you all on a trip into the mountains RIGHT after your flight? :eek: Wtf????

I'm glad there were some very nice people that got you on your way to get good and proper sleep! An 18+ hour flight is a hard and tiring thing to go through; you can't just expect people to be ready and willing to go on a mini-trip right after flying!

To be fair, the onsen trip was for the next day (today). I was breaking down because hot springs in Japan are basically hard-partying resorts where there's a lot of drinking. I'm sure it's not going to be like that for the students, since they're being chaperoned, but still....it seemed like a really, really bad choice for a field trip!

My mom actually called the people running the program up and had gotten assurances that I would be given a single room. They told her I wouldn't have a roommate! Well, that was kind of the truth, since the hotel we're staying at for most of the trip, everyone DOES get single rooms. It was just supposed to be for the one night at the airport hotel, and then the side trip to the onsen.

It still really bugs me though, because they apparently didn't realize that for plenty of people, a single room is really important for psychological and emotional reasons. I talked to another girl this morning who was surprised to get lodged in a double, because she had lost access to her email account and thus hadn't gotten any emails. She has bad social anxiety, so having a roommate was really hard for her. Another girl was kind of upset too, because she has ADHD and needs the peace and quiet that comes with a single room. Yet she'd been getting all the emails, so I am beginning to think that it was their fault that I didn't know to ask.

Tags: