Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Ferguson  (Read 2836 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Ferguson
« on: November 25, 2014, 12:44:16 am »
lit candle image For the family of Mike Brown. My prayers are with them and all of Ferguson tonight.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Ferguson
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:38:07 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;166078
lit candle image For the family of Mike Brown. My prayers are with them and all of Ferguson tonight.

Mine as well.

I think everyone by now has seen the indiegogo Ferguson Defense Fund, but if you haven't, maybe consider donating if you can.

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 02:02:58 am »

Mine, as well. I have no words for how I feel about this.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 02:12:26 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;166086
Mine as well.

I think everyone by now has seen the indiegogo Ferguson Defense Fund, but if you haven't, maybe consider donating if you can.

I'm putting down a link to it, in case anyone would like to go straight to it. It's made 145% of its goal, but I have a feeling they may need a bit more as of tonight.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »

Mine also.  The decision wasn't a surprise, but I'm still saddened and sickened by it.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:10:41 pm »

I wasn't surprised at the decision, either. They are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 01:29:09 pm »

I hope and pray things get better with every passing day.

Below the asteriks are my thoughts on the topic.  This seems to be the least bad place to post them and I need to get it off of my chest.  So if you don't want to read my rambling, feel free to stop here.  

The part about this, and most conversations about social justice for that matter, that keep me up at night is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of discussions about how truly deep the changes we have to make are.  

In this one case it isn't a matter of body cams or reparations(big enough lifts on their own and things that might help).  

It's a matter of us collectively as a society having to rewire how we view minorities as people fundamentally.  

As it stands(and has been this way since people were "people") we have always felt threatened by people who we percieve as different.  Way back in the day(like before we abandoned cities as a concept the first time) it was everyone outside of our immediate circle.  Now it has expanded so that it is basically people who look pretty different(though it doesn't take a lot of hard looking to find people who are prejudiced against anyone that is outside of their immediate circle).

We can listen to the horror stories of minorities(and should), check our privilege all day(ditto), go to all of the rallys(yup), protests(as well), and legislate(also yup) but at the end of the day this issue won't be over until the vast majority of people can look at people and not automatically judge them one way or another.  

In this situation, if Officer Wilson didn't see Mr. Brown as a "demon"(a quote from Wilson's testimony, his words not mine) when Mr. Brown got upset then he might have tried to use other means to deal with the situation.

And considering that it has taken us thousands of years to imperfectly go from "the Smiths are our people and everyone else is scary other" to "white people are our people and everyone else is scary other"  I'm not confident that we'll be able to take that next step into "everyone is our people and those people that do bad things is the scary other" or wherever we need to go so that people perform threat assessment based on something other than skin color.

And I'm pretty sure that every other social justice issue requires something of a similar scale to be done.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »
*** MOD HAT ON ***
Everyone,

I've moved the posts from the political discussion that was taking place in this thread into their own thread in the Political Discussions forum, where you can find them as Ferguson: The Political Discussion.

Such debates are certainly acceptable - even traditional! - on TC, but the Prayers & Energy Requests forum is not the place to do so.

I'm as guilty as anyone of contributing to that, and wish I'd thought of splitting the thread before I jumped in.

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: