Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: A Very Personal Matter  (Read 2994 times)

bee

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: A Very Personal Matter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 05:29:44 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;109974
{{{{{Bee}}}}

If you don't mind, I'll add you to my prayers when I do my Cill shift this month?

I don't mind at all, and it would be greatly appreciated. :)
-sweet bee

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 08:51:52 pm »
Quote from: bee;109968
I've actually considered the fact that maybe I'm not hanging with the right people. If they were good friends they would respect that I'm doing what's best for me. I think the problem for some of them is that if I admit I have a problem, that means maybe they have one too, and they don't want that to be the case.

But to everyone - you have no idea how good it makes me feel to see people supporting my decision. I seem to have found this site at exactly the right time in my life

I would consider finding other people to be around. :)
I'm a non-drinker (out of personal convictions, I decided not to at 15 and I'm 21 now) and a student but I have plenty of friends who drink but accept my decision not to with no question asked. :)
It's all about having the courage and the right support behind you :D:
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I'll tell you that you can absolutely do it :thup:
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
A Very Personal Matter
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 09:12:08 pm »
Quote from: bee;109968
I've actually considered the fact that maybe I'm not hanging with the right people. If they were good friends they would respect that I'm doing what's best for me. I think the problem for some of them is that if I admit I have a problem, that means maybe they have one too, and they don't want that to be the case.

But to everyone - you have no idea how good it makes me feel to see people supporting my decision. I seem to have found this site at exactly the right time in my life

Also, find things to do at non drinking places.  When the default plan is "lets go drinking " it's hard to not drink.  Try to find a hobby or social group that doesn't involve alcohol.  Don't spend time at work off the clock.  Drinking is a lot harder if it isn't there.

And good luck.  Overcoming that kind of pressure is hard.

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 02:08:35 am »
Quote from: bee;109935
I haven't yet. I live in a very small town, and if there are any AA groups nearby they're at least an hour away. With my current work schedule this will be hard to swing...but I suppose it's worth looking into, right?

AA and NA both worked for me.  You've already got a leg up from where I was a few years ago because I didn't make the choice to go, the courts made that decision for me.  Go to at least one meeting a week, find a sponsor, and work the steps.  I live in a small town too, you might try http://www.intherooms.com.  Sending you strength and support.

Maulus

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 06:48:59 am »
Quote from: bee;109930
I would never admit to/discuss this anywhere but here. I couldn't handle the stress/babying/yelling from my family and peers. So to get down to it: I have a drinking problem. I want to completely stop. This gets difficult. I've tried before and I always give myself reasons I can just have a couple...no need to quit. I'm sure you can imagine the typical excuses. To make it worse, I work at a bar. But, I know I csn beat this! If I can quit soda and gluten, I can quit alcohol. So I'm asking for you to help me. Send your energy and prayers. And if anyone has been through this, send me a message. I really need support. Thank you!

Firstly, my thoughts are with you, it is difficult when all your friends drink, to be the only sober one in the group. If you drive, you will become the designated driver almost every time our ( I know, i quit 10 years ago and it has been the case for me) You will find, however, the people that are not supporting you, when you go out and stay sober, they become very annoying very early on in the night. as people have already said, your true friends will support you with not drinking, but if there is no one around in your circle of friends who will, AA is a very good place to start.

Most importantly, take each day as it comes, one step at a time and reward yourself for each milestone.

good luck and i will keep you in my prayers too.

Dan

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
A Very Personal Matter
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 09:19:35 pm »
I would never admit to/discuss this anywhere but here. I couldn't handle the stress/babying/yelling from my family and peers. So to get down to it: I have a drinking problem. I want to completely stop. This gets difficult. I've tried before and I always give myself reasons I can just have a couple...no need to quit. I'm sure you can imagine the typical excuses. To make it worse, I work at a bar. But, I know I csn beat this! If I can quit soda and gluten, I can quit alcohol. So I'm asking for you to help me. Send your energy and prayers. And if anyone has been through this, send me a message. I really need support. Thank you!

You've got it, Bee!

I'll echo the recommendation of AA and note that there are online AA meetings now as well.  I Googled and found this: http://www.aaonline.net/ and there are other groups as well.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

fjfritz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://divineguidewithin.com/
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 10:34:49 pm »

It takes great courage to post this, even in an ambiguous forum. Well done! One of the proven methods of change is to tell others about your intentions. That way you get peer pressure that is more positive. :) And you've already done that.

Try the online groups if you can't meet in person. AA is a good place to find support and you should be greeted to a comfortable atmosphere.

You'll certainly get support here as well!

bee

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 06:57:40 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;110078
You've got it, Bee!

I'll echo the recommendation of AA and note that there are online AA meetings now as well.  I Googled and found this: http://www.aaonline.net/ and there are other groups as well.

Thanks! I didn't realize this was an option! I found a group about 30 minutes away from where I live, which isn't bad, but this will be a great option for other than the once weekly meeting.
-sweet bee

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 07:03:57 am »
Quote from: bee;110116
Thanks! I didn't realize this was an option! I found a group about 30 minutes away from where I live, which isn't bad, but this will be a great option for other than the once weekly meeting.

Having options is good.  I know a couple of guys who go to multiple meetings a week.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: