collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: White supremacists take DNA tests, find they're not so white  (Read 3503 times)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: White supremacists take DNA tests, find they're not so white
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:19 am »
Thanks, looks like they use 3 brackets, so I might be safe with this: ((((((((hug)))))))

That looks like group hugs.

Which is cool, if yer into that.  :D
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 07:27:42 am »

That looks like group hugs.

Which is cool, if yer into that.  :D

Kinda depends. Some people can get really iffy about that during skyclad rituals.  ???
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 02:43:42 pm »
Kinda depends. Some people can get really iffy about that during skyclad rituals.  ???
I think hugs with ((((8 brackets)))) should indicate octopus 🐙 hugs.

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 11:01:36 am »
I think hugs with ((((8 brackets)))) should indicate octopus 🐙 hugs.

Thank you for specifying that as an octopus hug. With the quote to the skyclad ritual remark my mind was going on the complete opposite direction.
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • ( Formerly known as EDF.)
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hindu with Christian and Pop-Culture Elements
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 11:52:59 pm »
Given up their usage just gives those groups more power, IMHO. Power they should not have over society. Sure, sometimes things become fairly universally associated with "bad stuff" (e.g. the N-word and the swastika)

I would argue that, even in the case of the Swastika, forcing people to renounce it's original usage is still just helping the "bad guys" get away with appropriating other people's culture. The "N-word" never really had a good meaning, but there are still millions (over a billion?) Buddhists, Jains, and Hindus for whom the Swastika as a sacred symbol.

I mean, if you are flying a Swastika in public in the USA or Europe, you are being a Nazi and everyone knows it.  However, if you put the same symbol on a Jain temple in those countries, let alone in India, you shouldn't be shamed or chastised for doing so.

Think of it this way; your site gets to use triple brackets for hugs because you were doing so before the Alt-Right co-opted them. This site, and other old-web forums, are the original context of the sign, before its corruption.

Similarly, east-Asian and south-Asian religious groups (along with several Native American groups) were using the Swastika before Hitler corrupted and co-opted it for hate. In those contexts (and only those contexts), I think it is fine for that symbol to continue to be used.  I'm not saying it would be apropriate to use those symbols here per se, but rather in their traditional contexts.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

RisingMoon

• Sr. Newbie
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Curious atheist
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 02:30:02 am »
From Cnet:

White supremacists take DNA tests, find they're not so white

Read the entire article

We also most likely all evolved from African ancestors, so white supremacists really have very shaky grounds for their claims. (As in none at all, but that just throws another wrench at it.)

Tags: