Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Wannabe dictator struck with plague he casually dismissed  (Read 4269 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Wannabe dictator struck with plague he casually dismissed
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2020, 07:54:31 pm »
"...when sick or potentially sick..."

"...near-universal early mask-wearing..."

Okay, which is it? "When sick" or "universal"?

Ahem. I believe the answer is staring you right in the face, here.

Look, when you have a highly transmissible bug but one which is asymptomatic in a segment of the population...such as young, healthy people...you WANT them to get it, as quickly as possible!

1. 'Asymptomatic' does not mean 'noncontagious', so for your notion to work, all young people would have to be isolated from elderly people so as to avoid infecting them, and,

2. You phrase it as if Covid is always asymptomatic in young people; it's not. Young people still end up in ICU and even die of this. I for one am not willing to play Russian Roulette with myself and every person around me.

since from the early days of this virus outbreak it has been known that the virus is expressed in feces and many of the documented transmissions (such as between apartments on a common sewer line, without western-style traps, with occupants who did not know/never met each other) could only have taken place by fecal-oral means...which is information which has been actively suppressed in this country.

Possibly because no one ever thought fecal-oral was the sole possible means of transmission, especially once the virus started to spread widely in nations which *do* have p-traps on every toilet, sanitized drinking water, and a culture of washing hands after bodily functions. So it's not nearly as relevant here as the vectors that *are* spreading the disease.

Were it not, it would mean that those health care workers in nursing homes tending to the incontinent with just a spritz of hand sanitizer between patients were murderers, not heroes.

Considering that there are many other diseases that are well known to spread through fecal matter, including C. Difficile, I would hope that competent health care workers already knew to scrub up between patients even before Covid.

What's so big about wearing a mask, anyway? maybe it's because I'm from the Great White North, but 'put on protective clothing when leaving house' is not such a strange concept.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
Re: Wannabe dictator struck with plague he casually dismissed
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 10:51:52 pm »
Japan never locked down. At all.

Japan never social distanced. At all.

Inaccurate.

Makiko Itoh, who translates a lot of Japanese news into English and writes on Japanese culture, posted about this earlier in the year:

A more recent post by Itoh talking about how social distancing measures being recommended in Japan:

She has also posted a lot recently on how Japan is handling COVID. Japan's culture is quite different than Western ones and probably shouldn't be used as your excuse to imply COVID isn't as real or serious as it is.

Tags: