collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: The First 2015 Democratic Prez Debate  (Read 4360 times)

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
The First 2015 Democratic Prez Debate
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:33:50 am »
It was like watching a gathering of a white family of intelligent, passionate, if somewhat eccentric people:

• Chafee: The bumbling, dotty uncle
  • O'Malley: The handsome family scion who's nice enough but hasn't quite lived up to the golden boy expectations
  • Clinton: The family matriarch indulgent of the others but secure in her dominance
  • Sanders: The angry yelling grandpa
  • Webb: The out-of-the-loop stuffy military vet

The Losers:

--Webb (all I could think every time he opened his mouth was, "Why are you here? No one cares. Stop sucking up oxygen")

--Chafee (worst answer of the evening, with his I-only-voted-that-way-cuz-my-dad-had-just-died-and-I'd-just-arrived-and-everybody-else-was-doing-it)

--Biden, who may see his window of opportunity closing after such a strong performance from Clinton

The Winners:

--Clinton, who wins BIG if her performance helps Biden to decide not to run. Her one syllable "no" in indirect non-response to Chafee's criticism, along with her 'Obama trusted my judgment enough to make me Sec't of State," were her best lines

--Sanders, who did almost as well as Clinton (though he got hammered on gun control, where Clinton excelled); he had the best line of the night, crystallizing the high-minded tenor of the entire debate, with his "sick and tired of your damn emails"

--O'Malley, who didn't hurt himself and kept us men-loving viewers sexually interested enough to keep a VP slot warm for himself

--the DEMOCRATS overall, far and away the biggest winners. Even a non-partisan could see the contrast to the Republican presidential clown car. It was like they finally let the adults into the presidential race.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:36:20 am by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
Re: The First 2015 Democratic Prez Debate
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:54:27 pm »
Quote from: Altair;181012
It was like watching a gathering of a white family of intelligent, passionate, if somewhat eccentric people:

• Chafee: The bumbling, dotty uncle
  • O'Malley: The handsome family scion who's nice enough but hasn't quite lived up to the golden boy expectations
  • Clinton: The family matriarch indulgent of the others but secure in her dominance
  • Sanders: The angry yelling grandpa
  • Webb: The out-of-the-loop stuffy military vet

I didn't watch the debate, because I've become more and more jaded when it comes to the political system, especially after that whole sandyhook-gun control thing that went down a year or so ago. However, I i love that Hilary did well. I will be voting for sure this cycle if Hilary or Bernie Sanders end up winning the primary.  *crossing my fingers*

The Losers:

--Webb (all I could think every time he opened his mouth was, "Why are you here? No one cares. Stop sucking up oxygen")

--Chafee (worst answer of the evening, with his I-only-voted-that-way-cuz-my-dad-had-just-died-and-I'd-just-arrived-and-everybody-else-was-doing-it)

--Biden, who may see his window of opportunity closing after such a strong performance from Clinton

The Winners:

--Clinton, who wins BIG if her performance helps Biden to decide not to run. Her one syllable "no" in indirect non-response to Chafee's criticism, along with her 'Obama trusted my judgment enough to make me Sec't of State," were her best lines

--Sanders, who did almost as well as Clinton (though he got hammered on gun control, where Clinton excelled); he had the best line of the night, crystallizing the high-minded tenor of the entire debate, with his "sick and tired of your damn emails"

--O'Malley, who didn't hurt himself and kept us men-loving viewers sexually interested enough to keep a VP slot warm for himself

--the DEMOCRATS overall, far and away the biggest winners. Even a non-partisan could see the contrast to the Republican presidential clown car. It was like they finally let the adults into the presidential race.

Wow, I'm so happy to see Clinton just kick butt this debate. If she or Sanders win this primary I will definitely vote this election cycle. Although, I have a feeling the primary will come down to the two them in the end. Clinton is my fave, but I also like Sanders as well.

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 05:19:10 pm »
Quote from: Jenny Cee;181019
Wow, I'm so happy to see Clinton just kick butt this debate. If she or Sanders win this primary I will definitely vote this election cycle. Although, I have a feeling the primary will come down to the two them in the end. Clinton is my fave, but I also like Sanders as well.

I haven't committed to any candidate yet either...but Jenny Cee, I think I'm gonna have to come over to your house and administer stern discipline! From your avatar, I presume you're black, and we black folk must VOTE. **Always.** Our ancestors fought too long and hard, having their blood spilt, getting beaten, and some even dying, for that basic right, for us not to exercise it ALWAYS, every election, no matter what.

And especially considering how some (Republicans) are STILL trying to keep us from voting, even today:

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/09/voter_id_and_drivers_license_o.html
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:21:47 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 07:05:28 pm »
Quote from: Altair;181021
I haven't committed to any candidate yet either...but Jenny Cee, I think I'm gonna have to come over to your house and administer stern discipline! From your avatar, I presume you're black, and we black folk must VOTE. **Always.** Our ancestors fought too long and hard, having their blood spilt, getting beaten, and some even dying, for that basic right, for us not to exercise it ALWAYS, every election, no matter what.

And especially considering how some (Republicans) are STILL trying to keep us from voting, even today:

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/09/voter_id_and_drivers_license_o.html

:ashamed: I am black, and I know. I vote every election cycle, but the political process lately has gotten me down. I really being feeling bitter towards congress since the whole sandyhook gun control thing. But thanks for slapping some sense into me, and reminding me why I have always went out to vote. ;)

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 10:00:01 pm »
Quote from: Altair;181012

I'm wondering when the Dems are going to start hammering Bernie on his idea that women fantasize about being raped by three men.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: ze/zir or they/them
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 12:10:43 pm »
Quote from: sailor;181164
I'm wondering when the Dems are going to start hammering Bernie on his idea that women fantasize about being raped by three men.

I'm not familiar with this. Care to give a source?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:11:11 pm by HarpingHawke »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 01:00:15 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;181186

Yeah, as Harping Hawke said: Wut?

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 01:04:42 pm »
Quote from: Jenny Cee;181135
:ashamed: I am black, and I know. I vote every election cycle, but the political process lately has gotten me down. I really being feeling bitter towards congress since the whole sandyhook gun control thing. But thanks for slapping some sense into me, and reminding me why I have always went out to vote. ;)

:thup:

(And BTW, I'm right there with you on Sandy Hook disillusionment. I can't even think about gun control any more, it leaves me so dispirited. Which I guess is what the gun lobby wants...so I should pick myself up, dust myself off, and not hand them the easy victory, right? But if 20 dead grade school children can't make Congress pass sensible legislation, what on earth will?)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:07:47 pm by Altair »

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 01:08:18 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;181186

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/06/02/sanders-vetting-rape-essay-opinionline/28376875/

Lots of links to other sources also.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 01:14:26 pm »
Quote from: Altair;181193

(And BTW, I'm right there with you on Sandy Hook disillusionment. I can't even think about gun control any more, it leaves me so dispirited. Which I guess is what the gun lobby wants...so I should pick myself up, dust myself off, and not hand them the easy victory, right? But if 20 dead grade school children can't make Congress pass sensible legislation, what on earth will?)

Maybe start by actually prosecuting gun crimes at the Federal level?  Richmond, VA cut a deal with the Fed prosecutor a number of years ago - get caught with a gun illegally and the Feds would actually take the case. Major drop in illegal guns.

Or maybe you are thinking of Obama's call to confiscate guns and maybe knives? (to bad about that athame, it's to big to own)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: ze/zir or they/them
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 02:23:43 pm »
Quote from: sailor;181195
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/06/02/sanders-vetting-rape-essay-opinionline/28376875/

Interesting. I'll have to do some further reading on this when I have time. I wonder if he still holds those views.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 02:24:09 pm by HarpingHawke »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 11:45:45 am »
Quote from: sailor;181195

Ick.

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 02:24:54 pm »
Quote from: Altair;181193

Agreed, I know I supposed to get up and continue to shout about gun control especially after what happened in Oregon, but when the parents of the victims of Sandyhook begged Congress to do something right in their faces and they still voted against it I just felt that nothing else could be done. It came out later that some dems were responsible as well. I just felt my voice didn't count you know? But I will dust myself off, and vote. I often feel my ancestors both women and black people will rise up and smite me if I don't. ;)

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 12:42:45 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;181199
Interesting. I'll have to do some further reading on this when I have time. I wonder if he still holds those views.

Well, considering he's been consistently saying that essay was a satire, he probably didn't have those views to begin with.

Still a gross piece of writing, though.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 01:44:57 pm »
Quote from: DemeterDelusion;181319
Well, considering he's been consistently saying that essay was a satire, he probably didn't have those views to begin with.

Still a gross piece of writing, though.

That is not an option in today's political climate. It doesn't matter how long ago it was written or why, he's still an enabler of rape culture.  Unless you want to go after the Dems for it's attacks on Bob McDonald?  Or is this just monkey poo where such things only matter if it's the other side doing it?

Tags: