Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Canada Was Too Queer-Friendly, so They Moved to Russia...  (Read 603 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Canada Was Too Queer-Friendly, so They Moved to Russia...
« on: February 20, 2024, 01:37:06 pm »
...and Putin's Paradise, it turns out, left something to be desired. Priceless!

A 'Christian' family moved to Russia to escape 'LGBTQ, trans,' but now they're 'ready' to 'get out'

(Note that this story hasn't been reviewed by the site's reportorial staff, but poking around the web it all seems to check out...like this:)

I dunno...you'd think they'd make an effort to learn to speak some Russian before uprooting their lives and their brood and moving there...but that's just me!

At the bottom, the site highlights Laughing Gravy's comment as their favorite:
“I’ll bet back home they used to whine about immigrants who don’t know the language, who have no money, who expect the government to hand them a house and a job, and who complain when they don’t get everything they want.”

The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Canada Was Too Queer-Friendly, so They Moved to Russia...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 10:12:48 am »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
That is some grade-A schadenfreude.

I dunno...you'd think they'd make an effort to learn to speak some Russian before uprooting their lives and their brood and moving there...but that's just me!

My guess is that it never once occurred to them that it'd be an issue. I can come up with plausible reasons why they might've thought it wouldn't be an issue, and that might be how it came about, but Occam's Razor and my years of life experience tell me that 'didn't think' is the most likely thing.

“I’ll bet back home they used to whine about immigrants who don’t know the language, who have no money, who expect the government to hand them a house and a job, and who complain when they don’t get everything they want.”

This also seems extremely likely.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they'd never knowingly personally met either one of the immigrants they whinge about, or one of the LGBTQIA+ folks they're so frightened of.

My initial thought was, 'Hah, too late, we don't want you back,' but, no; Canadian-ness won out. If they can manage to get out of Russia, we'll take them back, if only for the sake of the kids. (But watch them expect the Canadian government to get their old farm back for them, and when it doesn't, complain about 'reverse racism' or some such.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SirPalomides

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Surrealist with feet in Chinese and Western esotericism
  • Preferred Pronouns: thou/thee
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 10:50:52 am »

A 'Christian' family moved to Russia to escape 'LGBTQ, trans,' but now they're 'ready' to 'get out'

(Note that this story hasn't been reviewed by the site's reportorial staff, but poking around the web it all seems to check out...like this:)

I was briefly acquainted with a US convert to Orthodox Christianity, very bookish, pious, and right-wing, who ended up marrying a Russian woman and lives in Moscow now.  Had (and as far as I know, still has) all kind of ridiculous ideas of "Holy Russia." He at least had both personal and clergy/ monastic contacts, and he is an able propagandist for the Moscow Patriarchate, so as far as I know he's doing fine in whatever culty bubble he's settled into. Random Anglo right-wingers with zero knowledge of the culture will probably feel completely alienated by the reality and scandalized by the various remnants of the Soviet era (e.g. high access and use of abortion, vestiges of universal healthcare, decent public transportation).

atr

• Apprentice
  • May the Spirits be with you!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic Eclectic Animistic Polytheist Druidism practicing an Unverified Personal Gnosis
  • Preferred Pronouns: He / Him
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 12:57:30 pm »

For a bit more context, this is one of those YouTube families. Think DaddyOFive except they're hyper-political plastic farmers. Here's their YouTube channel - https://youtu.be/3cC12X_nOVs?si=PqL4rU7RtYpwzT4e Yes it really is as bad as it looks.

Apparently, complaining on Russian TV worked as they say that their money is no longer frozen. To prove it, they posted a video of them buying a car (or at least attempting to buy a car, honestly I only watched a few minutes of the video so I don't know if they actually bought it or not. I can't stand these people).

And no, the frozen bank account and immigration issues have not soured them on their choice to move to Russia. On the contrary, the internet (being the internet) is giving them a lot of encouragement, support and YouTube channel views.

Tags: