collapse

Author Topic: North Carolina passes state constitutional amendment ban gay marriage  (Read 7486 times)

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
60% to ban gay marriages, 40% to not amend the state constitution.

Raleigh N&O
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/08/2052643/marriage-amendment-latest-results.html

Items of note:
Anti-amendment raised twice as much money as group trying to ban same-sex marriage; and anti-amendment group got somewhat more money from out state than anti-gay marriage group.

Also been seeing a number of news stories about Obama and gay marriage, since VP Biden came out for it.

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: sailor;53591

"Land of the Free," eh? *she says from Canada, which has same-sex marriage*

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lokabrenna;53594

Given that line was written when slavery was still legal in many parts of the US, that is to be expected.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
North Carolina passes state constitutional amendment ban gay marriage
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:11:48 am »

Raleigh N&O
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/08/2052643/marriage-amendment-latest-results.html

Items of note:
Anti-amendment raised twice as much money as group trying to ban same-sex marriage; and anti-amendment group got somewhat more money from out state than anti-gay marriage group.

Also been seeing a number of news stories about Obama and gay marriage, since VP Biden came out for it.

*screams with fury*
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: stephyjh;53600
*screams with fury*

Screaming won't help. Patients will, 20 years ago no state had legalized gay marriage. Education and acceptance, and those are slow processes. This is after all a democracy (technically it's more a democratic republic?) people vote to change the laws. So don't quit, just regroup.
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Quote from: Wickerman;53602
Screaming won't help. Patients will, 20 years ago no state had legalized gay marriage. Education and acceptance, and those are slow processes. This is after all a democracy (technically it's more a democratic republic?) people vote to change the laws. So don't quit, just regroup.

MLK once wrote that justice too long delayed is justice denied. I know we're working against the tide. I know things are rough. But knowing that I will never be able to marry my girlfriend in the majority of states in my nation, because some bigoted asshats can't accept the fact this is not a frickin' theocracy - yeah, I scream. I scream and I rage at the fact I am a second-class citizen (for being a lesbian, for being genderqueer, for having a female body) in my nation. Not just in my nation, but my bigoted, white, conservative, Christian town, which can barely stand the presence of interracial couples in 2012. I will never be able to walk hand-in-hand with my biracial girlfriend who, despite being half white, has eyes the wrong shape for this part of Virginia.

No one's quitting. But anger doesn't mean you have to quit. And what makes me mad is the kind of democracy that means mob rule wins. I hate the fact we can vote bigotry into law.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Wickerman;53602
Also 20 years ago in my home state of Texas it was illegal to basically be gay. The Supreme Court had to overturn it. I am very much a person who believes in live and let live. It's your life and you have the choice on how you should live it, including getting married if your are gay.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:00:54 am by Celtag »
[Now using the Cryfder account]

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile

And it's Human Rights Commission where the process is the punishment for speaking unpopular opinions or facts.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile

I'm still waiting to cast my vote here in Minnesota - one of the items on this Novembers ballot is a referendum to pass/dump a proposed constitutional ammendment that would ban same-sex marriage

So ya, even here in the state of tolerance we had enough idiots at the capital that passed this insane dreck.

Personally?  I'm a licensed minister here, if it was legal to do so, I'd do the ceremony for any legal adults - 2, 3, 5, whatever - so long as they all were in agreement and nobody seemed coerced.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rhyshadow;53615
I'm still waiting to cast my vote here in Minnesota - one of the items on this Novembers ballot is a referendum to pass/dump a proposed constitutional ammendment that would ban same-sex marriage

So ya, even here in the state of tolerance we had enough idiots at the capital that passed this insane dreck.

Personally?  I'm a licensed minister here, if it was legal to do so, I'd do the ceremony for any legal adults - 2, 3, 5, whatever - so long as they all were in agreement and nobody seemed coerced.

As a minister you have the constitutional right to marry people, whether same-sex, opposite sex, multiple partners, etc. It's called freedom of religion.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: sailor;53617
As a minister you have the constitutional right to marry people, whether same-sex, opposite sex, multiple partners, etc. It's called freedom of religion.

Oh, I know I can give them the ceremony, it's just that they can't get the slip of paper saying it's legal in the state even though the pagan/whatever community will recognize it as valid.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch

Disappointed, but not at all surprised the result.  There's a lot of work to be done in this state (and this country) before we can proclaim equality for all.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Aisling;53625
Disappointed, but not at all surprised the result.  There's a lot of work to be done in this state (and this country) before we can proclaim equality for all.

Now comes the question of whether it will go to court so will take what would be an unprecedented extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a majority vote.

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
Quote from: sailor;53630
Now comes the question of whether it will go to court so will take what would be an unprecedented extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a majority vote.

Like the Jim Crow laws? Or anti-sodomy laws?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:08:57 am by cigfran »

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
Quote from: sailor;53617

Disingenuous claptrap. You know very well that a ceremonial union with no state recognition is not all what this is about.

Tags: