Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Election Night in the U.S.: Which Races Are You Watching?  (Read 8315 times)

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Election Night in the U.S.: Which Races Are You Watching?
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2012, 02:56:59 pm »
Quote from: Altair;79987
OK, I had to really dig to find some bad news in this election, but here it is: Michele Bachmann, who looked to be on the verge of losing her seat in the House of Representatives last night, pulled out the win.

Another bit of bad news, for some:  CA still has the death penalty.  I wasn't really expecting it to be overturned, we've been trying to get rid of it my entire adult life, but it would have been nice.

But still an amazing night!

Any word on the popular vote count, btw?  Last I saw, Mittens still had a slight lead in that.  I still hate the electoral college, even though the discrepency swung "my" way for once.
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2012, 03:00:08 pm »
Quote from: Thorn;80026
Any word on the popular vote count, btw?  Last I saw, Mittens still had a slight lead in that.  I still hate the electoral college, even though the discrepency swung "my" way for once.

Obama won the popular vote in the end. The discrepancy had a lot to do with them not having finished counting California at the time. They'd counted enough to project that he'd won the state, but hadn't tallied all the state's zillions of votes yet.

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2012, 03:01:35 pm »
Quote from: Siren;80027
Obama won the popular vote in the end. The discrepancy had a lot to do with them not having finished counting California at the time. They'd counted enough to project that he'd won the state, but hadn't tallied all the state's zillions of votes yet.

Ah, thanks.  I'd hoped it would be something like that - the west coast is pretty solidly "blue."
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2012, 03:48:02 pm »

There was a split in 2000, 1888 and 1876. Not sure how that counts as a swing "for once".

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2012, 04:00:01 pm »
Quote from: sailor;80030
There was a split in 2000, 1888 and 1876. Not sure how that counts as a swing "for once".

Yes, "for once" was a poorly chosen phrase.  I didn't have a horse in the race in the 1800's.  2000 it went the other way.  I would hope that if both parties had been recently hurt by the electoral system, there might be an impetus to change it.  

I understand that going by straight popular vote require a complete change in the way campaigns were run, but it would be more democratic.  And in today's world, that would be far more possible than it was in the 18th century.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2012, 04:23:54 pm »
Quote from: Thorn;80032
Yes, "for once" was a poorly chosen phrase.  I didn't have a horse in the race in the 1800's.  2000 it went the other way.  I would hope that if both parties had been recently hurt by the electoral system, there might be an impetus to change it.  

I understand that going by straight popular vote require a complete change in the way campaigns were run, but it would be more democratic.  And in today's world, that would be far more possible than it was in the 18th century.

NPV would also increase the value of fighting for every vote every where.  

All those registrars who repeatedly fail to get absentee ballots out on time? Major lawsuits.

All those absentee ballots that don't get counted because they can't change the outcome for that state?  Up for challenge and for counting.

We'd be having recounts and legal challenges up until the inauguration each time.

On the plus side, expect a lot more turn out nationwide. Also much more expensive campaigns since the ground game has to be every where.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2012, 06:16:27 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;79962
Tonight is for either doing, or cancelling due to lack of oomph, the schadenfreude happydances.  I can't sustain schadenfreude.

Don't worry, I've got your back!  I've been doing the schadenfreude happydance ever since I heard that Akin and Mourdock both got the boot.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2012, 06:28:24 pm »
Quote from: sailor;80034
NPV would also increase the value of fighting for every vote every where.

I'm not sure about that.  The current system requires the candidates to give some attention to smaller/less popular states.  If you go to direct representation, you have them only going to (and developing policies favoring) the densest populated areas.  It just changes where they concentrate rather than making them not concentrate at all.  There will always be areas where they can get more bang for their buck.

You also have the issue with the recounts taking forever, throwing the country into chaos for awhile.  I could well imagine, with how rabidly partisan this country has become, riots in the streets if it isn't settled quickly.  

Granted, with the current system, you have Republican talking heads suggesting violence as a way of dealing with the election result ;) (Then again, Trump has been seen as a bit of a fringe nut even before he became the leader of the birther movement.)

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2012, 06:59:21 pm »
Quote from: Skyth;80039
I'm not sure about that.  The current system requires the candidates to give some attention to smaller/less popular states.  If you go to direct representation, you have them only going to (and developing policies favoring) the densest populated areas.  It just changes where they concentrate rather than making them not concentrate at all.  There will always be areas where they can get more bang for their buck.

You also have the issue with the recounts taking forever, throwing the country into chaos for awhile.  I could well imagine, with how rabidly partisan this country has become, riots in the streets if it isn't settled quickly.  

Granted, with the current system, you have Republican talking heads suggesting violence as a way of dealing with the election result ;) (Then again, Trump has been seen as a bit of a fringe nut even before he became the leader of the birther movement.)

I was thinking more of fighting to have every vote count everywhere rather than trying to get everybody everywhere to vote for them.  Right now 110,000 vote difference in Virginia doesn't matter since they won't find that many in VA.  Yet they might find enough nation-wide to matter nation-wide.

Of course that might just result in cleaning up the current mess we have as far as voter registration and voting has.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2012, 08:01:06 pm »
Another bit of bad news, for some:  CA still has the death penalty.  I wasn't really expecting it to be overturned, we've been trying to get rid of it my entire adult life, but it would have been nice.

As a lifelong death penalty opponent, I share your pain.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2012, 09:13:05 pm »
Quote from: Altair;80045
As a lifelong death penalty opponent, I share your pain.

I used to be in favor of the death penalty, a real "kill the bastards" mentality.  Now I object for a variety of reasons.  

Aside from reversing the inherent wrongness of the practice, abolishing the death penalty would mean we in CA wouldn't have to spend $3 billion a year on 727 'death-row' inmates.  That's good when the State is strapped for cash.  This should have been a slam dunk, from both ethical and fiscal POVs.  Californians are an unpredictable lot.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2012, 10:26:05 pm »
Quote from: Altair;79963
From this liberal/progressive's point of view, a great night.

I really wasn't expecting there to be this much progressive-leaning stuff, and am kind of blown away.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Election Night in the U.S.: Which Races Are You Watching?
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2012, 11:30:23 pm »
Quote from: Skyth;80039
(Then again, Trump has been seen as a bit of a fringe nut even before he became the leader of the birther movement.)

Can we permanently muzzle that loud-mouth, please? He gives my Republican friends a bad name.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2012, 08:18:17 am »
Quote from: victoreia;80060
Can we permanently muzzle that loud-mouth, please? He gives my Republican friends a bad name.

Freedom of speech applies to everyone in the US -- no matter how intelligent or idiotic their speech. Republicans who are tired of being associated with the loons on the extreme right need to stand up and publicly oppose such BS. That's what sane Democrats have always done with the loonies on the extreme left. Of course, Democratic loons have never had much of a media machine shouting their positions to all as Fox News and Rush Limbaugh do for the Republican loons.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2012, 04:18:09 pm »
Quote from: Altair;79864

I was only actively watching two races.  To see if Johnson would get the 5% nationally needed for automatic matching funds for the party next time (didn't even break 1%) and to see if the Libertarian NH Governor nominee would get 4% to enable automatic ballot access next time (also a no at just under 3%.)

Afterwards I was aware of the 4 marriage equality results (I'm glad ME isn't marring the name of NewEngland any more), as well CA Prop 35.  I also noted the population boom looming for Colorado.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Tags: