collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?  (Read 1188 times)

dionysiandame

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 600
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:18:00 am »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/17/blacks-should-vote-gods-way-against-obama/#disqus_thread

To be fair, I signed up for the Washington Times when a high-schooler came to my door saying that if he could get 100 people to get the Times, he would get some scholarship money for college.

I got my first issue this morning and after perusing for a few minutes, I pitched it in the garbage. I knew the WT is a conservative paper; but when I read the OPed above I was beyond incensed.

I don't care that they got some black priest to spout their religious views in their paper; but I hate the assumption that because I am black that I am a) Christian, b) stupid enough to base my political decisions on race and c) weak minded enough to need some high-handed sociopath dictating to me that I need to use subjective philosophy as a metric for what the entire country needs to live by.

We have a separation of Church and State for a reason and I will DEFINITELY be writing the Washington Times a letter expressing my disappointment in their representation of my community.:hdsk:

That rant aside; as a black American, I should have known this was coming. The Church has such a hold on our community that religious leaders can be, and have been, caught harming their congregations and have faced little reprisal with some even supporting horrid behavior in the name of a God.

And it's sad to say, I'm because this attitude is one I have witnessed in many predominantly black spaces; voting as a Christian instead of as a citizen in a republic made of different people with different faiths. It's apalling, sickening, narcissitic, and selfish. :stop:

ARGHGHGFHGHGHFHHGUJKEJIO!!!!!!
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Sage

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 2186
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:57:56 am »
Quote from: dionysiandame;79299
ARGHGHGFHGHGHFHHGUJKEJIO!!!!!!

 
That's the same sound I make whenever stupid political crap shows up in my newsfeed!

Seriously though, yeah, I know those feels friend.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 01:27:17 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;79299
[url]


We have a separation of Church and State for a reason and I will DEFINITELY be writing the Washington Times a letter expressing my disappointment in their representation of my community.

 
I'm not seeing how this is a separation of church and state issue.  Washington Times & Ms King (female? not sure) are both non-govt.

weirdfaery

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 22
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 01:33:25 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;79299
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/17/blacks-should-vote-gods-way-against-obama/#disqus_thread

To be fair, I signed up for the Washington Times when a high-schooler came to my door saying that if he could get 100 people to get the Times, he would get some scholarship money for college.

I got my first issue this morning and after perusing for a few minutes, I pitched it in the garbage. I knew the WT is a conservative paper; but when I read the OPed above I was beyond incensed.

I don't care that they got some black priest to spout their religious views in their paper; but I hate the assumption that because I am black that I am a) Christian, b) stupid enough to base my political decisions on race and c) weak minded enough to need some high-handed sociopath dictating to me that I need to use subjective philosophy as a metric for what the entire country needs to live by.

We have a separation of Church and State for a reason and I will DEFINITELY be writing the Washington Times a letter expressing my disappointment in their representation of my community.:hdsk:

That rant aside; as a black American, I should have known this was coming. The Church has such a hold on our community that religious leaders can be, and have been, caught harming their congregations and have faced little reprisal with some even supporting horrid behavior in the name of a God.

And it's sad to say, I'm because this attitude is one I have witnessed in many predominantly black spaces; voting as a Christian instead of as a citizen in a republic made of different people with different faiths. It's apalling, sickening, narcissitic, and selfish. :stop:

ARGHGHGFHGHGHFHHGUJKEJIO!!!!!!


Wow! I was going to stay home on election day because my political give a damn is busted, but now this black bisexual female pagan is going out and early voting for Obama because this disgusted me just that much.

I hate when somebody thinks that they have the authority to speak for me because our skin happens to be the same color.

dionysiandame

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 600
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 01:45:32 pm »
Quote from: sailor;79324
I'm not seeing how this is a separation of church and state issue.  Washington Times & Ms King (female? not sure) are both non-govt.

 
Because when you are telling someone to put an individual in office because they share your same religious ideals and plan to implement them for the nation as a whole; you are, essentially, asking your representative to make the tenents of your ONE faith the law of the land.

Now you could be technical and say "But it's not establishing a country wide religion", which is a very slimey loophole and leads to a very slippery slope. Once you've established the rules of one religious sect as the rules of the land; you've established that religion as the de facto governing body of the state.


And for real Sailor, if someone from the New Black Panther party was running and Blacks were being urged to vote for them because said individual believed in black supremacy and "making white people pay", despite our country having laws squarely against the implementation of said ideology; I highly doubt you would be as "understanding", primarily because, for once, such bias would effect you.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

dionysiandame

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 600
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 01:47:05 pm »
Quote from: weirdfaery;79326
Wow! I was going to stay home on election day because my political give a damn is busted, but now this black bisexual female pagan is going out and early voting for Obama because this disgusted me just that much.

I hate when somebody thinks that they have the authority to speak for me because our skin happens to be the same color.

 
The woman I was speaking to on the phone was also African American and she was apalled. She had NO IDEA the OPed had been printed when I called to say they could keep the money but I did not want their paper.

Amazing how skin color shouldn't be used to choose who to vote for but can be used to decide who can tell me who to vote for. :stop:
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2465
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 172
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 07:42:54 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;79299

I don't care that they got some black priest to spout their religious views in their paper; but I hate the assumption that because I am black that I am a) Christian, b) stupid enough to base my political decisions on race and c) weak minded enough to need some high-handed sociopath dictating to me that I need to use subjective philosophy as a metric for what the entire country needs to live by.


Wowzers.  
Sadly this kind of demagoguery is nothing new.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10221
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 272
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 08:55:36 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;79299
That rant aside; as a black American, I should have known this was coming. The Church has such a hold on our community that religious leaders can be, and have been, caught harming their congregations and have faced little reprisal with some even supporting horrid behavior in the name of a God.

Admittedly, my sample set is fairly small, but most of the blacks I know choose who to vote for based on the same things I do (namely, who they feel will do the best job for the country as a whole). They don't vote for X because their preacher says to or because their skin color matches or the like. And most of them are Christian and attend church regularly. The only one I can think of for whom religious issues are the major factor in his decisions is a preacher (youth minister for a large black church in San Antonio), although I doubt he'd agree with Alveda King on religion.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Snowdrop

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Oct 2012
  • Posts: 416
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 10:57:20 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;79299
I don't care that they got some black priest to spout their religious views in their paper; but I hate the assumption that because I am black that I am a) Christian, b) stupid enough to base my political decisions on race and c) weak minded enough to need some high-handed sociopath dictating to me that I need to use subjective philosophy as a metric for what the entire country needs to live by.


What?  Don't you know that the only way you can stand up for your race is by conforming to stereotypes about it?  OBVIOUSLY THIS MAKES TOTAL SENSE.  

. . . Oh.  Wait.  

My personal opinion is that telling people they ought to vote in blocks based on anything other than their actual political beliefs is pretty unseemly.

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10221
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 272
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 06:37:40 pm »
Quote from: sailor;79780
And a similar one from a pagan perspective.

http://www.patheos.com//Pagan/Five-Reasons-Gus-diZerega-10-29-2012

IMHO, not quite the same thing here as this is just a list of reasons to vote against Romney (and hence for Obama) without the "and your God requires it" connotation of the original.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3029
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 401
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 07:00:11 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;79299

ARGHGHGFHGHGHFHHGUJKEJIO!!!!!!

 
What you said.

None of this is surprising, though. As you note, this kind of crap has been spouted for...well, for as long as there have been elections, probably.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Skyth

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 391
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Blacks Should Vote God's Way?
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 07:26:35 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;79782
IMHO, not quite the same thing here as this is just a list of reasons to vote against Romney (and hence for Obama) without the "and your God requires it" connotation of the original.

 
In a small way it does...It goes into the whole 'all Pagans' hold these things as sacred (fememinity and the earth) and thus that should be the only reasons that you vote against the Republicans...

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
2277 Views
Last post June 02, 2012, 02:18:01 pm
by RandallS
5 Replies
1266 Views
Last post October 16, 2012, 10:05:11 am
by Raven Rose
10 Replies
1889 Views
Last post July 17, 2013, 02:20:03 pm
by Aster Breo
0 Replies
598 Views
Last post September 20, 2015, 09:40:00 am
by RandallS
9 Replies
1086 Views
Last post May 27, 2018, 11:18:59 pm
by Demophon

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall