Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Black Student Can't Be Valedictorian  (Read 12833 times)

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Black Student Can't Be Valedictorian
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 06:40:55 pm »
Quote from: Inca;8631

http://news.yahoo.com/high-school-student-alleges-racial-bias-valedictorian-choice-223416668.html

Another take on this.  Apparently she was Valedictorian, but the next day a white co-Valedictorian was appointed.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 11:01:02 pm »
Quote from: LyricFox;8148
Black Student Can't Be Valedictorian

I've read about it and just heard and interview with her today.  There are other details that likely have some folks' undies bunched like that she had a baby her junior year. Not that it should do anything but astonish people at her tenacity and dedication to still maintain her education.

Her lawsuit is about a pattern of racist behaviors too. That little detail is a wonder for one so young. She's not just going to defend herself, she's attempting to address a societal wrong. That's impressive for anyone to do.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 11:45:41 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;9112
I've read about it and just heard and interview with her today.  There are other details that likely have some folks' undies bunched like that she had a baby her junior year. Not that it should do anything but astonish people at her tenacity and dedication to still maintain her education.

Her lawsuit is about a pattern of racist behaviors too. That little detail is a wonder for one so young. She's not just going to defend herself, she's attempting to address a societal wrong. That's impressive for anyone to do.

I'm curious as to how she's going to show a pattern of racist behavior.  

The case for her being denied having to share it with a white student valedictorian should be pretty clear cut. She had the higher GPA, and presumably the school had never had a co-valedictorian nor based the honor on more credit hours with good grades vs fewer credit hours with excellent grades.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 08:04:25 am »
Quote from: sailor;9128

The case for her being denied having to share it with a white student valedictorian should be pretty clear cut. She had the higher GPA, and presumably the school had never had a co-valedictorian nor based the honor on more credit hours with good grades vs fewer credit hours with excellent grades.

well, they were talking about the school discouraging black kids from taking the really hard classes and such like that. They might have to look at incoming freshmen, how many black kids were taking hard stuff earlier and didn't continue, things like that.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 11:34:59 am »
Quote from: mandrina;9207
well, they were talking about the school discouraging black kids from taking the really hard classes and such like that. They might have to look at incoming freshmen, how many black kids were taking hard stuff earlier and didn't continue, things like that.

If the school system had a variety of classes at different levels of difficulty that might work.  Not sure how many junior highs have such levels of classes. Or will she assert that the discrimination starts much earlier?

LyricFox

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 01:12:49 pm »
Quote from: sailor;9128

My guess is this is what will eventually get decided on. It's pretty clear cut. The other situation is a bit more amorphous, and wouldn't necessarily impact her case.

Now,  I can see this other situation making up the basis for a SECOND lawsuit, but it seems like her complaint is pretty cut and dried without bringing in that second issue.
Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts\' Store: Doxy\'s Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 07:15:03 pm »
Quote from: sailor;9226
If the school system had a variety of classes at different levels of difficulty that might work.  Not sure how many junior highs have such levels of classes. Or will she assert that the discrimination starts much earlier?

my son's has three levels.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 08:24:59 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;9320

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/AR/district/00026/search.aspx

I don't know much about the site, but didn't do much more digging.

Seems Pine Bluff is rated #222 of 237 schools in the state of Arkansas. I'm not seeing data on race vs state / Fed testing numbers, not even seeing testing numbers.

Adrianne Boudreau

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 12:05:13 am »
Quote from: LyricFox;8148
(I know there was another thread like this a year or so ago. Just can't remember where the school was.)

Black Student Can't Be Valedictorian

PINE BLUFF, Ark. (AR) - A high school southeast of Little Rock would not let a black student be valedictorian though she had the highest grade-point average, and wouldn't let her mom speak to the school board about it until graduation had passed, the graduate claims in Federal Court

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/07/25/38410.htm

Wow, I agree with everybody. She should totally sue them for all it's worth if I were her. Actually, I am really impressed how even with a baby she ended up at the top of her class. To me that speaks of real dedication and a amazing strength of will.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:07:02 am by Adrianne Boudreau »
My Official Site Still Under Construction Folks!

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 09:45:55 am »
Quote from: mandrina;9320

The high school he will go to has 4 different levels of algebre, 4 of geometry, 4 of 2nd year geometry. 2 for trig, and 6 for calculus, 2 of those AP  There are also 4 level of each english class, not including special ed.

The junior high has spec ed, regular, AVIS (a special group of getting them to consider college kids) and honors for the core math, and english courses.
Katrina

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 10:05:45 am »
Quote from: Adrianne Boudreau;9376
Wow, I agree with everybody. She should totally sue them for all it's worth if I were her. Actually, I am really impressed how even with a baby she ended up at the top of her class. To me that speaks of real dedication and a amazing strength of will.

I wonder if the discrimination was because she had a baby out of wedlock rather than because of her race.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 03:28:10 pm »
Quote from: Skyth;9464
I wonder if the discrimination was because she had a baby out of wedlock rather than because of her race.

I'd have to go back and re-read the article, but supposedly her mother overheard other teachers / staff saying that is was her being black.  

I wonder if they would be allowed to use "moral turpitude" as a reason to deny somebody the position.  It's a policy they would have to have in place at least during her junior year to avoid making it look like they are singling her out, or to prevent the  1st black student in the school from being valedictorian for being black.  I think it would be a legal stretch though since the position really isn't a moral position, it's an academic achievement one.

Tags: