collapse

Author Topic: Anyone Affected by the U.S. Gov't Shutdown? Please Share  (Read 4302 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Anyone Affected by the U.S. Gov't Shutdown? Please Share
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 06:44:18 pm »
I was initially onboard with the President's position but now increasingly less so. I voted for the wall and laud Trump for sticking to his guns, but it's time to realise that the Dems won't play ball -- not when they're winning the PR war. Is it fair? No. Congressional Democrats should be held responsible for their refusal to come to the table.

A) "Mexico will pay for the wall."
--Donald J. Trump, about a couple dozen times until last week, when he said he mystically magically didn't say it

B) “I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. … I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it.”
--Donald J. Trump, December 11

C) Trump had TWO YEARS of a Republican-controlled Senate and a Republican-controlled House of Representatives to get his border wall funded...and couldn't get it and/or couldn't be bothered to get it.

NOW, with Democrats in control of the House--and despite the fact that virtually every Democratic official has made it clear from the early days of the 2016 presidential campaign that they unequivocally *oppose* a border wall--suddenly Trump finds a border wall so urgent that the government must be shuttered, inflicting pain on countless innocent citizens and imperiling the safety and security of the nation (TSA failures at airports, looming air traffic control lapses)--exactly what Trump claims a wall is meant to prevent.

So, to sum up for you...

A + B + C = Democrats should be held responsible for the shutdown???

HAHAHAHAHAH! You're funny. Keep drinking that Kool-Aid.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 08:01:44 pm »
A) "Mexico will pay for the wall."
--Donald J. Trump, about a couple dozen times until last week, when he said he mystically magically didn't say it

B) “I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. … I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it.”
--Donald J. Trump, December 11

Trumpalogetics 101.

1) He didn't say that.
2) And if he did, he didn't mean that.
3) And if he did, you didn't understand it.
4) And if you did, it's not that big a deal.
5) And if it is a big deal, hey, fuck it. Others have said worse.

Thus endeth the lesson.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

EmberHearth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Creative, Inclusive Celto-Germanic Syncretism (roughly Northern Tradition) / UCC
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 11:11:49 pm »
As the Orange Cheetoh's temper tantrum drags us deeper into an abyss of dysfunction, I'm curious to know if anyone at The Cauldron is affected, directly or indirectly, if you feel comfortable sharing.

Affected, yes. I've been working from home, which has both pluses and minuses to it.  My 4-foots love it.

Financially harmed?  Not yet.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 07:02:48 am »
Affected, yes. I've been working from home, which has both pluses and minuses to it. 

Can you elaborate? My understanding is that many Federal workers are either not working or working without pay; are you in the latter category, and able to do so from home? What is it that you do?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

EmberHearth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Creative, Inclusive Celto-Germanic Syncretism (roughly Northern Tradition) / UCC
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 07:45:22 am »
Can you elaborate? My understanding is that many Federal workers are either not working or working without pay; are you in the latter category, and able to do so from home? What is it that you do?

I am a white-collar contractor.

My employer is funded, to a point.  I'm not to go to my office or contact Civil Servants about work, and that limits some of what I can do.

Also, the freedom to work from home requires accountability, to show that I'm accomplishing necessary tasks.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 07:58:15 am »
As the Orange Cheetoh's temper tantrum drags us deeper into an abyss of dysfunction

And the latest, in violation of the 13th amendment to the US Constitution, prohibiting slavery:

White House Redefines Who Is Essential to Get Parts of Government Moving Again

"As the government shutdown stretches into its fourth week, the Trump administration is reinterpreting longstanding rules to open the federal government piece by piece, forcing thousands of workers to report to work without pay, many of them in sectors that could minimize damage to the president’s base."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/us/politics/white-house-essential-shutdown.html

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 02:20:48 pm »
And the latest

Today Federal workers miss their second paycheck, thanks to the longest gov't shutdown in U.S. history.

Yesterday (aside from the circus of administration millionaire clowns wondering why Federal workers can't just make do without for a while), a broad range of the commercial aviation industry--airlines, unions--warned that the shutdown was pushing the system of air travel to the breaking point, compromising safety. Today, this:

Shutdown Sets Off Airport Delays as F.A.A. Announces Staffing Shortages

"Significant flight delays were rippling across the Northeast on Friday because of a shortage of air traffic controllers as a result of the government shutdown, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

"The delays were cascading along the Eastern Seaboard, reaching as far north as Boston. But La Guardia was the only airport that had been closed off to departing flights from other cities because it was so crowded with planes taking off and landing on a weekday morning. Delays on flights into La Guardia were averaging almost an hour and a half, the F.A.A. said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/nyregion/airports-shutdown-laguardia-faa.html

Supposedly, Trump will announce a deal today (without border wall funding) that will take the gov't he himself shuttered and reopen it...for 3 weeks. Our savior!

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 04:24:35 pm »
Our savior!

This is like if Superman were to throw a massive meteor at the Earth, only to zoom out ahead and catch it between his magical buttcheeks, and then expect us to laud him for it.

'Cept, Trumpy ain't super. At all.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 05:12:06 pm »
As the Orange Cheetoh's temper tantrum drags us deeper into an abyss of dysfunction, I'm curious to know if anyone at The Cauldron is affected, directly or indirectly, if you feel comfortable sharing.

I'm personally not effected financially, but my dear friends are.  There are three of them who share a house, and she works for the census bureau, so she hasn't worked since the shutdown.  Her (not-legally married because they would loose too much financially if they were legally married) husband is on disability due to kidney failure, I don't know if his benefits have been effected.  Their housemate works from home and is an artist, so he's not directly effected.  But I know this thing is seriously effecting their household, and it breaks my heard because they are my best friends and some of the best people I know.

And with all this going on....they have started helping gather food and clothing for people in need.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 10:32:05 pm »
Her (not-legally married because they would loose too much financially if they were legally married) husband is on disability due to kidney failure, I don't know if his benefits have been effected. 

From what I've gathered, previous shutdowns didn't affect issuance for existing SSI or SSDI cases, but certain administrative & support tasks were either slowed down or simply unavailable.
I'd assume (and I hope) it's the same this time 'round.

You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Lightdragon

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 10:41:59 am »

This is like if Superman were to throw a massive meteor at the Earth, only to zoom out ahead and catch it between his magical buttcheeks, and then expect us to laud him for it.

'Cept, Trumpy ain't super. At all.

you forgot to add. that Superman will then threaten to throw such meteor at the Earth again.

even though the shutdown is over for another 2 and ahalf weeks another one could occur in mid Feb.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Tags: