Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Anyone Affected by the U.S. Gov't Shutdown? Please Share  (Read 4219 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Anyone Affected by the U.S. Gov't Shutdown? Please Share
« on: January 08, 2019, 10:46:04 pm »
As the Orange Cheetoh's temper tantrum drags us deeper into an abyss of dysfunction, I'm curious to know if anyone at The Cauldron is affected, directly or indirectly, if you feel comfortable sharing.

I'm lucky in having relatively little impact on myself, my friends, and my family. But if I can help it I am scrapping any plans for air travel. I don't want to be anywhere near TSA agents forced to work for no paycheck, as if this country never abolished slavery; the humongous lines and wait times from their understandable sick-out; or the dangerous skies from air traffic controller understaffing and likely security lapses at airports.

I hope this completely unnecessary pain that jackass is inflicting finally turns huge swaths of "Middle America" against him. 
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Anyone Affected by the U.S. Gov't Shutdown? Please Share
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:56:35 pm »
As the Orange Cheetoh's temper tantrum drags us deeper into an abyss of dysfunction, I'm curious to know if anyone at The Cauldron is affected, directly or indirectly, if you feel comfortable sharing.

While I'm not affected personally, I know people back in Texas who are. A couple of people who work for NASA, for example.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:51:23 pm »
While I'm not affected personally, I know people back in Texas who are. A couple of people who work for NASA, for example.

I can't click "Like" to acknowledge that, because I don't like it at all.

The pain is really going to spread if this goes on--say, if (when) tax refunds get held up, which has already been hinted at, or god forbid if food stamp money runs out.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 11:57:20 pm »

The pain is really going to spread if this goes on--say, if (when) tax refunds get held up, which has already been hinted at, or god forbid if food stamp money runs out.

I'm going to be affected if the government is still shut down when it's time to collect income tax refunds, especially since my job in New Mexico didn't work out.

I am disgusted with this administration.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Lightdragon

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 06:15:33 am »
can not blame you also. wish this forum system had something what FB has with their likes. a bit spoiled from that. but i can not ask the webmasters and staff here to  do something about that.

i could survive without the tax returns. but it will be a real pain.  In NYC a lot of the MTA will be affected as well Ellis Island and Liberty Island. right now the reserves from the city and state is being put in to hold them up. as well as WIC and SNAP from the Federal end of it. those people who depend on those two food sources will be out of luck in March.

what the individual senators and House reps have to do is form a bill where at least 2 thirds of them that can overturn the POTUS's  otherwise i think the states can do a recall on them. i do know that GOP members are meeting with democrats on deals to allow a wall spending. or the orange Cheetos will declare a national emergency and have the army build it and stop the shutdown. and then battle it in the court systems with the democrats.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Lightdragon

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:36:37 am »

what the individual senators and House reps have to do is form a bill where at least 2 thirds of them that can overturn the POTUS's  otherwise i think the states can do a recall on them. i do know that GOP members are meeting with democrats on deals to allow a wall spending.
pretty much in a nutshell a veto override.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 12:27:38 pm »

My wife just had her hearing for social security disability.  Any ruling will be delayed by the shutdown because the decision writers are not working.

It's already a 2-4 month to hear the results, add in the delay due to the shutdown...

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 07:02:31 am »
My wife just had her hearing for social security disability.  Any ruling will be delayed by the shutdown because the decision writers are not working.

It's already a 2-4 month to hear the results, add in the delay due to the shutdown...

I'm sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed this can be expedited once the shutdown ends.

Meanwhile, here's some of the lasting damage to our wild places that the Orange Ass's shutdown is causing. As a nature-based pagan, as an environmentalist, as someone who's been to Joshua Tree and enjoyed its otherworldliness, as an American, and as a human being (who at the moment is disgusted with the selfishness of some members of our species), I'm outraged.

Joshua Tree National Park’s Signature Trees Are Among Shutdown Victims

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/us/joshua-trees-cut-down.html

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 06:05:51 pm »

My phone is busted so I can't ask my brother if he's fucked over - he's an intelligence community contractor, so he kinda starts out half-fucked at best because of being a contractor.

I've got friends on furlough (one works at the Smithsonian).

Pastor at church mentioned that someone in that community had lost nearly half their household income.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
we rise and fall

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 07:11:54 am »
My phone is busted so I can't ask my brother if he's fucked over - he's an intelligence community contractor, so he kinda starts out half-fucked at best because of being a contractor.

Contractors are screwed; whereas Congress has passed legislation to give Federal employees back pay for this shutdown, contractors don't get that.

Fingers crossed for your brother, that he weathers this and comes out OK.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 10:28:59 am »
Fingers crossed for your brother, that he weathers this and comes out OK.

He'll be okay, I'm pretty sure, but he may have to depend on his wife for food for a bit.
we rise and fall

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:17 pm »

I'm lucky in having relatively little impact on myself, my friends, and my family. But if I can help it I am scrapping any plans for air travel. I don't want to be anywhere near TSA agents forced to work for no paycheck, as if this country never abolished slavery; the humongous lines and wait times from their understandable sick-out; or the dangerous skies from air traffic controller understaffing and likely security lapses at airports.

I hope this completely unnecessary pain that jackass is inflicting finally turns huge swaths of "Middle America" against him.

My 23 y/o friend is a TSA officer with a newlywed bride and they're starting to feel the pinch; I hope they'll end up coming through alright.

I was initially onboard with the President's position but now increasingly less so. I voted for the wall and laud Trump for sticking to his guns, but it's time to realise that the Dems won't play ball -- not when they're winning the PR war. Is it fair? No. Congressional Democrats should be held responsible for their refusal to come to the table. Will that happen? Also no. So we just have to move on, swallow the bitter pill, and fight another day.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 01:06:06 am »
Congressional Democrats should be held responsible for their refusal to come to the table.

Fuck. I love satire.

You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 01:08:57 am »
Fuck. I love satire.

And with that said.

I don't know anyone personally affected, but the local welfare office (where I now work) has been busting its collective nads to get SNAP applications and re-certifications processed on time for the advanced Feb issuance. Talk about hectic.
Hey, at least the needy will be fed through Feb, right?
Fuck that orange asshole right in his wobbly orange neck.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: