collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: And Now, Gay Marriage in Maryland?  (Read 1710 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
And Now, Gay Marriage in Maryland?
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:09:30 pm »
The stumbling block in their legislature was the MD House...where same-sex marriage just passed!

Maryland House Approves Gay-Marriage Measure

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/us/maryland-house-approves-gay-marriage-measure.html?_r=1&hp

Passage is expected in their Senate, and (unlike in NJ) their governor, Democrat Martin O'Malley, has been pushing for the bill and will sign. But as in Washington State, a ballot initiative to repeal same-sex marriage is almost certain.

As someone who fought this battle for long hard years before seeing it become reality in NY, I'm astonished by the flurry of events over the last few days. As a straight friend of mine put it, this has been the most appropriate Valentine's week ever!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: And Now, Gay Marriage in Maryland?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:24:41 pm »
Quote from: Altair;43244
The stumbling block in their legislature was the MD House...where same-sex marriage just passed!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/us/maryland-house-approves-gay-marriage-measure.html?_r=1&hp

Passage is expected in their Senate, and (unlike in NJ) their governor, Democrat Martin O'Malley, has been pushing for the bill and will sign. But as in Washington State, a ballot initiative to repeal same-sex marriage is almost certain.

As someone who fought this battle for long hard years before seeing it become reality in NY, I'm astonished by the flurry of events over the last few days. As a straight friend of mine put it, this has been the most appropriate Valentine's week ever!

Wonderful news!

Here's hoping all the other states will follow suit!

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:03:04 am »

And so grind the inexorable wheels of progress.

As you're someone who's fought so long for this change, this must be one helluva week for you.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 06:13:40 am »

*blinkblink* holy cow!  That's even getting into *southern state* territory, isn't it?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:40:42 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;43290
*blinkblink* holy cow!  That's even getting into *southern state* territory, isn't it?

I wouldn't call Maryland a southern State. :)
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:53:05 am »
Quote from: RandallS;43301

Yep, its north of the Mason-Dixon line.  Granted it tried to succeed from the Union during the Civil War (War Between the States) but so many federal troops were pumped into it that it couldn't.  Couldn't have the Federal Capital located in the Southern States in revolt.

On the initial remarks of gay marriage in Maryland, to be honest I really could care less one way or the other.  There are to many far reaching and pressing issues to my mind to get wrapped about this one.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:05:00 am »
Quote from: RandallS;43301

Well, GETTING into that area.  It's not what I'd call a hotbed of liberalism!

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 09:28:57 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;43290

It's not the southern geography that surprises me about this--it's the large African American population (a third, or so I've read). That will make this tougher to survive a referendum than in WA, in my opinion. But I'm hopeful. Some of my relatives live in MD, and despite being nominally "churched", they were happily celebrating at my wedding. Enough connections like that, and we may win this one.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 01:20:50 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;43305
Well, GETTING into that area.  It's not what I'd call a hotbed of liberalism!

Lots of people work in DC for the govt and govt agencies that located near DC. Northern Virginia specifically has been turning Virginia from a reliable Republican state to much more likely to go Democrat.

A referendum This fall could be "embarassing".  If there is a large turnout amoung Blacks to vote for Obama, that could tip the scales against same-sex marriage.  An off-year election, or no Black running for President would lower turnout.

Tags: