Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture  (Read 2824 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture
« on: October 11, 2018, 06:25:13 pm »
[Host's Note: Please read the entire (long) linked article before commenting in this discussion. While reading the 160 page report it is based on (a pdf of which is linked in the article) isn't required, be aware that this article (from The Atlantic) is a journalist's summary of it.]

On social media, the country seems to divide into two neat camps: Call them the woke and the resentful. Team Resentment is manned—pun very much intended—by people who are predominantly old and almost exclusively white. Team Woke is young, likely to be female, and predominantly black, brown, or Asian (though white “allies” do their dutiful part). These teams are roughly equal in number, and they disagree most vehemently, as well as most routinely, about the catchall known as political correctness.

Reality is nothing like this. As scholars Stephen Hawkins, Daniel Yudkin, Miriam Juan-Torres, and Tim Dixon argue in a report published Wednesday, “Hidden Tribes: A Study of America’s Polarized Landscape,” most Americans don’t fit into either of these camps. They also share more common ground than the daily fights on social media might suggest—including a general aversion to PC culture.

The study was written by More in Common, an organization founded in memory of Jo Cox, the British MP who was murdered in the run-up to the Brexit referendum. It is based on a nationally representative poll with 8,000 respondents, 30 one-hour interviews, and six focus groups conducted from December 2017 to September 2018.

Please Read the entire article before commenting.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:57:52 pm »
[Host's Note: Please read the entire (long) linked article before commenting in this discussion. While reading the 160 page report it is based on (a pdf of which is linked in the article) isn't required, be aware that this article (from The Atlantic) is a journalist's summary of it.]

Please Read the entire article before commenting.

I think any movement for social or political change, no matter how good or noble of an idea it is, is bound to produce some nonsense at its fringes. I think the environment is a vitally important issue, but I think the environmental movement has produced some poor ideas - say for example the forced sterilizations which accompanied some governments concerns about population growth.

Similarly, I think the overlapping movements seeking more equitable treatment for women, POC, people with non-hetero sexual orientations, etc, are, by and large, absolutely justified and necessary. However, one will occasionally run into assertions that seem to be more concerned with social status and the power that comes with "calling out" someone than with actually improving conditions of the aforementioned marginalized groups. Personally, I would consider "eating tacos is cultural appropriation" to fall into that category.

Since a lot of political coverage these days seems to run mainly off of manufacturing outrage, I'm sure a very large number of Americans have encountered a story about some sort of social-justice related issue which has been specifically selected to cause strong negative reactions. Since "political correctness" is a term that has been specifically used and developed to portray movements for social justice in a negative light, I'm sure any survey that asks Americans about "political correctness" is bound to produce a host of negative responses.

That being said, I did find the author's assertion that many POC have problems with (as they term it) "PC Culture" an interesting one. But I think the most interesting thing is the linkage between income and a lack of disagreement with the (it sounds stupider every time I write it) "PC Culture". I think both the environmental and social justice movements are vitally important, but I don't think that discounts the fact that they can be used by people of a particularly elevated social or economic status to differentiate themselves from the rest of us plebs.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 02:51:29 am »

This sounds like it's corroborating what I've known my whole life. My father has been saying that "fringe groups disproportionately represent both parties" for 30 years now. I come from a "traditional liberal," working class, white family, and I've never liked it when people tried to force me to identify with either extreme conservatives or extreme liberals, just because the media says that those are the people who matter.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:04:44 am »
This sounds like it's corroborating what I've known my whole life. My father has been saying that "fringe groups disproportionately represent both parties" for 30 years now. I come from a "traditional liberal," working class, white family, and I've never liked it when people tried to force me to identify with either extreme conservatives or extreme liberals, just because the media says that those are the people who matter.

I like this even though I DO voluntarily identify as an extreme conservative.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Tags: