Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: 'Same-Sex' marriage set to be law in UK by end of week  (Read 2929 times)

A Disgruntled Scotsman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: 'Same-Sex' marriage set to be law in UK by end of week
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 02:17:54 pm »
Quote from: Morag;115904
Hey! I feel cheated. There's not nearly enough hedonism, anarchy, and godless immorality here in Canada!

Did our shipment get delayed or something? :mad:

Yeah; the post office staff are having an orgy in the sorting office.  And there's dubstep too.  Lots of wubwubs! :3
/ | \\     Be The Awen!

Member of the British Druid Order.

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
'Same-Sex' marriage set to be law in UK by end of week
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 06:06:15 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;115924
Nope - England and Wales have had civil partnerships for several years (not sure about Scotland), but not marriage.

Scotland has had civil partnership since 2004. The same sex marriage bill was published on 27/06 and is going through the parliamentary process just now. If all goes well it's expected to be put forward for royal assent early in 2014 and the first marriages are expected in 2015.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 03:27:04 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;116821
Scotland has had civil partnership since 2004. The same sex marriage bill was published on 27/06 and is going through the parliamentary process just now. If all goes well it's expected to be put forward for royal assent early in 2014 and the first marriages are expected in 2015.

Great to hear!

I heard from someone in Northern Ireland that they don't have high hopes for the Assembly there passing any similar law, sadly.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 10:39:24 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;116855

I heard from someone in Northern Ireland that they don't have high hopes for the Assembly there passing any similar law, sadly.

From what I hear about Northern Ireland politics, I'm not that surprised.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 01:38:26 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;115924
Nope - England and Wales have had civil partnerships for several years (not sure about Scotland), but not marriage.

And first lawsuit is planned. I presume they are talking CoE rather than any of the other religions in England.

http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Gay-dads-set-sue-church-sex-marriage-opt/story-19597954-detail/story.html

A Disgruntled Scotsman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 03:27:45 pm »
Quote from: sailor;117675
And first lawsuit is planned. I presume they are talking CoE rather than any of the other religions in England.

http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Gay-dads-set-sue-church-sex-marriage-opt/story-19597954-detail/story.html

Presumably it'd make more sense for him to either:

1) Join a Christian sect that accepts gays as they are e.g. the Quakers,

2) Leave Christianity altogether,

3) Start his own home church or find a local one who are pro-SSM.

Edit: 100th post!  (Personal milestone)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:29:59 pm by A Disgruntled Scotsman »
/ | \\     Be The Awen!

Member of the British Druid Order.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 04:59:09 pm »
Quote from: A Disgruntled Scotsman;117681

On the other hand, I can see what he wants.  I'd say, too bad, unless the church gets money from the government because it's the church. I'm not sure if the CoE does, or if they do, how it works.

I suspect in the US, they can sue the church all they want, but they will not win. Unless it's just renting the church, and if the church rents to all comers, then the church has a problem that's of their own making.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 08:31:46 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;117687
On the other hand, I can see what he wants.  I'd say, too bad, unless the church gets money from the government because it's the church. I'm not sure if the CoE does, or if they do, how it works.

I suspect in the US, they can sue the church all they want, but they will not win. Unless it's just renting the church, and if the church rents to all comers, then the church has a problem that's of their own making.

The fall out could be really interesting.  It could effectively end the official church for England, which would bounce a couple of people out of Lords.

Or it be ruled that it applies to ALL churches - wonder how that will go over with some groups like the Muslim community.  That would also implicate who gets to be a member of a church, such as CoE.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 05:55:33 am »
Quote from: A Disgruntled Scotsman;117681

I know of this couple. Media and publicity, um, seekers. I suspect they're not churchgoers, but are looking for publicity. That said, I believe everyone should be able to get married in an Anglican Church if they want to - every straight couple in the land can. It will be interesting to see what happens here.
- Doctor Who

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 02:59:10 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;117731
I know of this couple. Media and publicity, um, seekers. I suspect they're not churchgoers, but are looking for publicity. That said, I believe everyone should be able to get married in an Anglican Church if they want to - every straight couple in the land can. It will be interesting to see what happens here.

just another thought here.  If the pope said "same-sex marriage is ok and will be performed by priests in any good Catholic church", then theoretically same-sex marriage is in for the Catholic church.  If the queen says the same thing, then isn't the discussion over for the CoE?
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 03:21:18 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;117750
just another thought here.  If the pope said "same-sex marriage is ok and will be performed by priests in any good Catholic church", then theoretically same-sex marriage is in for the Catholic church.  If the queen says the same thing, then isn't the discussion over for the CoE?

No, not really. The queen isn't analogous to the pope. She's a figurehead for the C of E, rather than its leader-in-practice. That's the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The new law explicitly excludes the Church of England (and the Church in Wales) because only canon law - church law - can make changes like allowing same-sex marriages to happen in the C of E. For the same reason, Parliament can't just pass a law saying that female bishops are now allowed in the C of E, even if they'd like to. It has to go through church councils.
- Doctor Who

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 03:25:18 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;117750

No. The Queen (monarchy) hasn't had that kind of power since at least WWI and in some ways all the way back to the Glorious Revolution.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 03:26:25 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;117753
No, not really. The queen isn't analogous to the pope. She's a figurehead for the C of E, rather than its leader-in-practice. That's the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The new law explicitly excludes the Church of England (and the Church in Wales) because only canon law - church law - can make changes like allowing same-sex marriages to happen in the C of E. For the same reason, Parliament can't just pass a law saying that female bishops are now allowed in the C of E, even if they'd like to. It has to go through church councils.

So, presumably if the gay couple win their case it would apply to all religious institutions.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 04:02:02 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;117753

ok, the limits of not knowing much about the CoE relationship with the sovereign other than something about not being able to marry catholics, at least at one time.
Katrina

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 10:06:25 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;115783
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/gay-marriage-set-to-become-law-as-peers-approve-same-sex-couples-bill-8710078.html

There are now no obstacles to equal marriage in the UK - the final debate is about some amendments. It will be law by the end of the week and the first marriages can happen in 2014.

On a personal note, this means we can get our 'upgrade' to marriage in a year's time!

The balance is always restored in the end. To see common humanity more deeply recognized is always welcome news.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Tags: