Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Author Topic: The one thing you can't stand  (Read 5854 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
The one thing you can't stand
« on: March 28, 2018, 07:03:13 pm »
We've had a few discussions here about what our core principles or virtues are, so let's talk about the opposite side.

What concepts do you seek to avoid as much as possible? What do you consider to be forbidden? (taboo, anathema, sin, etc?)

For me, that one thing is waste. Of time, energy, resources, human potential, animal or plant life, or anything else. There's no great thought process behind this, it's mostly the way I was raised.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: The one thing you can't stand
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 08:06:02 pm »
We've had a few discussions here about what our core principles or virtues are, so let's talk about the opposite side.

What concepts do you seek to avoid as much as possible? What do you consider to be forbidden? (taboo, anathema, sin, etc?)

For me, that one thing is waste. Of time, energy, resources, human potential, animal or plant life, or anything else. There's no great thought process behind this, it's mostly the way I was raised.

Oooh, this one's easy for me- the one thing I can't stand is willful ignorance. I don't mean the people who haven't had the opportunity to learn, I mean the people who intentionally avoid learning and openly disparage anyone who seeks to gain new information. The fact that someone would be so vehemently against learning and bettering yourself boggles my mind, but I've met a few.

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 01:28:58 am »
Oooh, this one's easy for me- the one thing I can't stand is willful ignorance. I don't mean the people who haven't had the opportunity to learn, I mean the people who intentionally avoid learning and openly disparage anyone who seeks to gain new information. The fact that someone would be so vehemently against learning and bettering yourself boggles my mind, but I've met a few.
Ignorant and proud of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 05:36:01 pm »
Oooh, this one's easy for me- the one thing I can't stand is willful ignorance.

That's certainly one of my pet peeves. Also its relatives: a) ignoring or rejecting evidence/facts that don't match your position and b) mistaking opinion for evidence/facts.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 05:44:38 pm »

Holy marshmallow Christ. All this and a side of bacon.

I see this shit on FB all the time. Pagan spaces. Political 'discussions'. All the bloody time. My most recent profile pic:
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 08:45:57 pm »
Oooh, this one's easy for me- the one thing I can't stand is willful ignorance.

To everyone who picked this: are there any specific things you do to avoid this in yourselves and others?

(In my own case, I do a lot of planning ahead in order not to waste time, and to avoid wasting money/space I'm careful about what I buy.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 08:59:13 pm »
To everyone who picked this: are there any specific things you do to avoid this in yourselves and others?

Yes. Read anything and everything I can, about every and any subject. Learn what I can, even if that means just skimming an article or Wiki. If something looks questionable, verify or debunk it. Maintain an open mind, but balance it with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Above all, keep learning. In the age of instant information, ignorance is a choice.

When it comes to my own opinions, challenge them constantly. Examine my arguments, my blind spots, my prejudices. Healthy debate with others is helpful in this regard. I might come away with a new outlook and new ideas, or I'll reinforce why I think what I think. Either way, a win.

Given the current climate, lots of this applies to political discussion, which seems to overrun us at times. In this regard, I read and absorb viewpoints from all points of the spectrum. I actually spend more time reading liberal sources than conservative ones.
Learn all the issues and all the talking points, and then form opinion. I refuse to live in an echo chamber.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:00:58 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 11:55:01 pm »
Yes. Read anything and everything I can, about every and any subject. Learn what I can, even if that means just skimming an article or Wiki. If something looks questionable, verify or debunk it. Maintain an open mind, but balance it with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Above all, keep learning. In the age of instant information, ignorance is a choice.

When it comes to my own opinions, challenge them constantly. Examine my arguments, my blind spots, my prejudices. Healthy debate with others is helpful in this regard. I might come away with a new outlook and new ideas, or I'll reinforce why I think what I think. Either way, a win.

Given the current climate, lots of this applies to political discussion, which seems to overrun us at times. In this regard, I read and absorb viewpoints from all points of the spectrum. I actually spend more time reading liberal sources than conservative ones.
Learn all the issues and all the talking points, and then form opinion. I refuse to live in an echo chamber.

This covers a lot of it for me. I read, read, read, and then read some more. I make full use of my school's access to research databases. I try to find reputable sources and cross-reference to make sure they agree. At least for anything science or fact-related.

When it comes to people, though, I ask questions and then listen. I've spent a lot of time in school learning the skill of therapeutic communication, which requires the listener to set aside their own feelings and judgments about what another person is saying and just try to understand where they're coming from. And if someone has had an experience that I haven't had, I recognize that they have more expertise in that field than I do.

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 01:46:33 am »

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 10:20:00 am »

1. Waste, as you listed. I think it's a sin to waste food, money, time, resources of any kind.
2. Strawman conversations.
3. The willful ignorance mentioned.
4. Deliberately misreading or misinterpreting (I guess that's under the heading of strawman).
5. Pissing contests and arguing for its own sake.

I'm sure that given enough time, I could come up with a number of other things that chap my ass.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 06:04:35 pm »

I'm sure that given enough time, I could come up with a number of other things that chap my ass.

Ah, but those wouldn't be the one thing!

I pose you the same question as the others: what methods do you use to avoid doing these things yourself?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 11:26:10 am »
Ah, but those wouldn't be the one thing!

I pose you the same question as the others: what methods do you use to avoid doing these things yourself?

OK, I'm busted! :D

I'm going to go with trying to avoid waste. It's a pet peeve of mine. As I said, I do believe it's a sin to waste food, money, time, resources of any kind. If I have fruit that is getting to the point it's unpalatable, but not rotten, I will put it outside for the little wild creatures. I've done the same thing with pet food when my fur kids got picky. Or I donated that to one of the shelters. I sometimes cook too much, but I make sure the food is eaten and not thrown away. This is one reason I'm over 200 lbs. :D I very rarely throw food in the garbage.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 06:34:39 pm »
I'm going to go with trying to avoid waste. It's a pet peeve of mine. As I said, I do believe it's a sin to waste food, money, time, resources of any kind. If I have fruit that is getting to the point it's unpalatable, but not rotten, I will put it outside for the little wild creatures. I've done the same thing with pet food when my fur kids got picky. Or I donated that to one of the shelters. I sometimes cook too much, but I make sure the food is eaten and not thrown away. This is one reason I'm over 200 lbs. :D I very rarely throw food in the garbage.

Interesting, my approach to reducing waste is almost the opposite: I try to limit what I buy in the first place, especially when it comes to food. I suppose it helps that I do my grocery shopping on foot, so there's incentive not to bring too much home!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 01:36:33 am »

I've been mulling this one for a while. There are a lot of things that get my goat, but I think the one thing that immediately shuts me down on anything is arrogance.

Not just pride or confidence, but self-important, "I know better than you despite not even knowing you or your background," smarmy, condescending arrogance. The kind of attitude that says it can only be done one way (the way the person talking says), that all other opinions are wrong, that anyone who disagrees not only is wrong but needs to be bullied into acquiescing. I hate it.

I'm not perfect, and there are times when I've not backed down because I didn't want to be wrong. But I hold that such an attitude is entirely different than one where the person in question would never even consider that they were wrong. And I abhor that kind of arrogance.

Couple it up with ignorance and you've got a nasty combo.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 10:02:15 am »
I've been mulling this one for a while. There are a lot of things that get my goat, but I think the one thing that immediately shuts me down on anything is arrogance.

Not just pride or confidence, but self-important, "I know better than you despite not even knowing you or your background," smarmy, condescending arrogance. The kind of attitude that says it can only be done one way (the way the person talking says), that all other opinions are wrong, that anyone who disagrees not only is wrong but needs to be bullied into acquiescing. I hate it.

For me: religious absolutism, which is perhaps a subset of the above. The "My Way or the Highway to Hell" mentality that at its worst leads to the wholesale slaughter of minorities, over something so personal and ethereal as religion.

I fight it in myself by acknowledging that nobody, myself included, has all the answers. Especially when it comes to religion.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Tags: