collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Social Justice Vs. Conversation - Smackdown?  (Read 35458 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Social Justice Vs. Conversation - Smackdown?
« Reply #405 on: March 08, 2015, 08:35:11 am »
Quote from: EJay;172710
I get this.  This is your forum and you run it as you wish.  We're here, by your leave, because this is your forum and we have the right to leave anytime we wish and you have the right to boot us anytime you wish.  I agree with this.  I'm one of the few Republican pagans I know (more Libertarian, actually), and this philosophy mirrors mine with businesses.

*** MOD HAT ON ***
Under our rules, mod calls are not subject for discussion on the board. I even said this was not subject to discussion in the post. Apparently you feel that both the rules and a specific request of a Co-Host do not apply to you. Take a two week vacation from the board for rules violations and ignoring instructions from a host.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:35:33 am by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

OliversTwisted94

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 09, 2015, 06:40:05 pm »
I once had a social justice blogger verbally attack me because we had a disagreement about medical vs social guidelines for transgender people to begin transitioning (in a nutshell). When I tried to make my case and explain my reasoning, she attacked me and was all up in my grill, sent her friends after me, etc.
The whole point is, with the world's increased propensity towards narcissism (which has been repeatedly proven by modern psychologists), some people just don't wanna hear that others might disagree with them on touchy subjects. Some people are okay with (or even enjoy) debate; while others  assume that they simply can't be wrong and go on the defensive/attack. That could explain some of the narcissism.

OliversTwisted94

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 09, 2015, 06:54:18 pm »
EDIT to my above post: So, not only do people not wanna be called wrong, but people don't wanna deal with the flame wars it can start.
Of course, that's not nearly all of it, but I think it might explain some of the reason it's avoided.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #408 on: March 09, 2015, 07:37:11 pm »
Quote from: OliversTwisted94;172811

A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 12, 2015, 11:32:44 pm »
Quote from: OliversTwisted94;172811
I once had a social justice blogger verbally attack me because we had a disagreement about medical vs social guidelines for transgender people to begin transitioning (in a nutshell). When I tried to make my case and explain my reasoning, she attacked me and was all up in my grill, sent her friends after me, etc.
The whole point is, with the world's increased propensity towards narcissism (which has been repeatedly proven by modern psychologists), some people just don't wanna hear that others might disagree with them on touchy subjects. Some people are okay with (or even enjoy) debate; while others  assume that they simply can't be wrong and go on the defensive/attack. That could explain some of the narcissism.

Quite possibly it could. But I think this isn't solely to blame at the feet of people doing social justice work (or claiming to do social justice work) in the world. I think we can all think of several people, celebrities, news outlets, newspapers, websites, etc. etc. who do much the same, but either don't claim to be doing social justice work, or claim that they are the exact opposite, and act in the exact same way.

It's not really that social justice is the problem; they would use any other tool to continue acting in a negative and non-constructive manner if the concept of "Social Justice" did not exist (and in fact, they do already).
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 13, 2015, 04:13:35 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;172999
It's not really that social justice is the problem; they would use any other tool to continue acting in a negative and non-constructive manner if the concept of "Social Justice" did not exist (and in fact, they do already).

How do we tell the difference between somebody doing social justice work and somebody claiming to do social justice work?
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 13, 2015, 05:12:01 am »
Quote from: Faemon;173000
How do we tell the difference between somebody doing social justice work and somebody claiming to do social justice work?

How do you tell the difference between someone being a decent person and someone claiming to be a decent person? Which isn't to say social justice work = decent person, but rather that in both cases, their actions tend to be pretty telling.

--Chabas

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #412 on: March 13, 2015, 05:23:15 am »
Quote from: Faemon;173000

...why does that matter?

I don't think it was the point of the post you were quoting.

And I don't think we can tell the difference. If someone wants to lie, they can.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 13, 2015, 03:23:14 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;173004

And I don't think we can tell the difference. If someone wants to lie, they can.

I don't think lying has much to do with it.  There are plenty of horrible people who are convinced they're doing good out there.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 13, 2015, 05:01:30 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;173011
I don't think lying has much to do with it.  There are plenty of horrible people who are convinced they're doing good out there.

Agreed, but I'd add that the relevant "they" are doing these things while claiming to be SJW or doing it under the banner of SJ.  I'm not thinking of 2nd or 3rd order effects such as OxFam and it's destruction of Africa.