Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Rituals and Moral Inversion  (Read 4568 times)

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
Re: Rituals and Moral Inversion
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 12:57:21 pm »
It occurred to me that similar moral inversions may exist in other religions too, and that the reasons for these actions may be clearer, or else better understood. I would be interested in hearing about these types of rituals from other people here, and if anyone has any theories or explanations for this type of behaviour during rituals.
I don't know if it's relevant to the question, but ancient greeks mocked their own gods and in the comedy plays they mocked them more. The comedy plays were dedicated to Dionysus, and in the script of the comedy was plenty of mockery.

Why? I think it's the same for greek and aztecs. It's freedom, doses of freedom. The gods command this way. By acting delinquent, we negate the roles for a moment, to breathe freely, and then return to our tasks renew. In my opinion  :)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 06:12:20 pm »
None of which is to say that inversion festivals in the Euro-Western world aren't, for the most part, pretty much pants.  Historically speaking, inversion festivals were particularly popular in regimented societies with little social mobility to give some amount of a pressure release for the oppressed classes.  The United States in particular could use a pressure valve, but apparently we as a culture believe we've got class mobility and don't have our entire lives structured by the overlords of employment while we work our sixty hour weeks so we don't get thrown out of our homes....

This leads me to consider: what would an effective modern inversion festival look like?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 06:43:55 pm »
This leads me to consider: what would an effective modern inversion festival look like?

Well, I think it should include honesty, generosity, morality, politeness....
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 07:37:34 pm »
Well, I think it should include honesty, generosity, morality, politeness....

Do you not experience any of these realities in the modern world?  Because I do.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 08:12:16 pm »
Do you not experience any of these realities in the modern world?  Because I do.

I'm being a little snarky. Yes, I experience them dealing one-on-one with individuals. But when considering dealings among corporations and bureaucracies...let's just say that we NEED an inversion. IMHO, of course.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 07:31:29 am »
St. Patrick's Day is a really good example. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Is it, though? Finding this thread fascinating, I was trying to think if there are any local New York inversion festivals: St. Patrick's Day as already mentioned (which is HUGE in NYC--I think maybe the biggest St. Paddy's in the world), and then I thought of Santa Con (though it isn't just in NYC), which I loathe.

But then I thought: These are really just excuses for large groups of people to get drunk. Is that really an inversion festival?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 04:08:38 pm »
Is it, though? Finding this thread fascinating, I was trying to think if there are any local New York inversion festivals: St. Patrick's Day as already mentioned (which is HUGE in NYC--I think maybe the biggest St. Paddy's in the world), and then I thought of Santa Con (though it isn't just in NYC), which I loathe.

But then I thought: These are really just excuses for large groups of people to get drunk. Is that really an inversion festival?

Traditionally, getting drunk has been seen as a bad thing right? Even today there are plenty of incentives to avoid public drunkenness ranging from social condemnation to lock out hours for pubs to high taxes on alcohol. Even in Australia, while drinking is common, getting totally shitfaced is highly unusual. So, it constitutes an exception from this perspective, even if it is not a unique one.

But maybe that isn't enough? Damn you, now I'm questioning my position!

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 07:04:57 pm »

Just thinking about Japanese corporate culture: a lot of behaviors are permissible when drunk that would never be acceptable while sober.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: