collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Respecting the Deceased's Religion  (Read 805 times)

Morbid

• Journeyman
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Respecting the Deceased's Religion
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 06:56:05 pm »
So, what do you all think about that kind of thing? Would it be more respectful just not to use a pagan ritual to honor a deceased person who holds strong views against it? Even if the intent is what counts, what about the wishes of the deceased? And you can replace paganism with any religion you like, the question would still be the same.

I heard dead people and I came running!  When you honor the person in a public rite, it should be done according to their wishes.  To do so honors the spirit.  When you perform a private rite, you should do so according to your beliefs, to honor your spirit as well.  The dead do not often take interest in the affairs of mortals, and when they do, it tends not to be because of a mortal's rituals. 
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Phoebe

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Friendly Neighborhood Necromancer
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religio Romana/Ancestral Necromancer
Re: Respecting the Deceased's Religion
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 10:45:46 pm »
An important matter to consider is whether one believes that the dead, if living in some other realm or some other way, have exactly the same beliefs and attitudes as they did when alive.

Precisely. I can only speak from personal experience, but as an ancestral necromancer, ancestors are a huge part of my rituals. I have a grandmother who was a Christian, but the sort who didn't judge other religions harshly. Before summoning her into a ritual, I performed a minor séance, and essentially asked permission beforehand. As it turns out, my grandma was more than willing to visit for ritual and company, and just as open-minded in death as she was in life.

That said, perhaps the practitioner should devise a means of spirit communication to simply ask, on a personal basis.

Tags: