collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses  (Read 9215 times)

MarsPrincess

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2014
  • Posts: 40
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 03:44:41 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;159397
They have a Christian origin, but do not ordain anyone.  I was looking at becoming a Chaplain, which you do not need to be ordained to be (that would be done by my Congregation).  However their degrees are accepted by the Unitarian Universalism Ministerial Fellowship Credentialing Committee (lots of perks being a member there.)    

Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York was founded as a Presbyterian seminary in 1836 and established in lower Manhattan. In 1892, the Seminary became non-denominational, and continues as the oldest independent, non-denominational seminary in the U.S. - See more at: http://www.utsnyc.edu/about/union-theological-seminary-at-a-glance#sthash.O0lG3Wf9.dpuf

New York Theological Seminary (NYTS) was founded in 1900 by Wilbert Webster White as the Bible Teacher’s College in Montclair.

 New Brunswick Theological Seminary is a teaching institution of the Reformed Church in America, the Seminary considers it a privilege and a responsibility to train persons from many other denominations for ministry.


These 3 seminaries look interesting but I can't find the tuition rate for the first one mentioned here.

I guess I'll keep looking :)

Sarah

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 827
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 03:45:53 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159412
I did say I was last there about 2 years ago - actually 2 and half years ago. I was doing research and treating patients in a hospital and in an out-clinic. That doesn't change my experience as I wrote about it.

If you have information on this I'd be very interested to know and I assume you do or your remark wouldn't make any sense but just seem an idle 'dig':)

 
I told you my information? Everyone I know/know of with a PHD uses Dr as a title
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

MarsPrincess

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2014
  • Posts: 40
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 03:51:24 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159402
First, you don't need any kind of degree to write - the catch is getting something published. But if you are going to self-publsh that's not a problem.

The term 'recognized' has a very specific value in acedemia. It basically means the person holding the degree is recogonized *as an authority in their field*. And whatever that field may be, it takes a lot of work and learning to get to that point. Indeed, even when you get your degree, you will always be reaching higher . In my experience, the longer one spends studying an area, the less they feel they know: there is *so* much to learn.
Everyone knows everything in their first year:), it takes a few more years to correct that assumption.

I always advise people to only decide on such a course of learning if they are truly passionate about it. That's the only thing that will get you through. I spent 8 years on my doctorate ( the research could not be hurried) and paid my own way so I didn't have a student loan over my head. (It's easier when you get to graduate school as at least here there is support in place for graduate students).

But it's a long , hard slog and only loving your area will get you through.

As for wanting a 'Dr.' in front of your name, only those in medicine get that. The convention otherwise is to have it after your name and it can only be used within the university or one's place of work.The reason for this is simple : You reserve a table at a restaurant using 'Dr.' and someone has a medical emergency at the next table - everyone is looking to you (Doctor) to give aid to the victim. If your doctorate is in philosophy, all you can do is ask them questions about their feelings on mortality while you wait for the ambulance.:eek:

When not in the places designated for you to use your title, you are joe shmo like everyone else.

You do this for the journey, not for what might come *after* the journey. So think hard and long on this before you begin.And remember that having a 'cheap' diploma mill degree will make you look less authoratative, not more.

 
Hi carillion,

thanks for the "Dr" part you mentioned. Yea I guess it's vanity in some ways of wanting "Dr" in a name.

How does one differentiate what is a cheap diploma mill degree or not? Like in many spiritual courses, including doctorates on parapsychology and the supernatural or metaphysics subjects, there can be very very cheap courses and some trademarked, and yet there are expensive ones which looks credible but actually seems very "vanity" in the curriculum lists.

When it comes to spirituality, does the price of the course directly mean it is valid?

For example, like Anthony Robbins products, they are very expensive because he is good at what he does in motivational field. But does it mean less famous and less expensive courses and materials might mean the knowledge and credentials are less credible?

Just wondering. Don't get me wrong :)

carillion

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 664
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 04:05:24 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;159414
I told you my information? Everyone I know/know of with a PHD uses Dr as a title


And that's fine. I *did* say it depended on the person and the field they were in. I'm sorry if you took offence by my writing about pretention: certainly you have earned the use of your title and so have your friends.


A friend of mine who has his D.Phil in Mathmatics made the mistake of booking flight using his 'title' after he had graduated. And of course there was a medical emergency on the flight and when he didtn't step forward, they thought him an awful coward until he explained:D:  He stopped using his title that way hither and yon.

But by all means, use your title when it seems safe to do so. I don't when out of the workplace but that's my choice. In my experience, how one uses their 'title' can effect the way people react to one and therefor I don't use mine when it's not for functional purposes.

That's why I asked if that had changed.

But the whole point of my bringing this up is doing many years of study for egotistical reasons will quickly turn to ashes in the mouth after not to many years of study. It's not enought to keep one going in my experience.

Sarah

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 827
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 04:10:17 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159416
And that's fine. I *did* say it depended on the person and the field they were in. I'm sorry if you took offence by my writing about pretention: certainly you have earned the use of your title and so have your friends.


A friend of mine who has his D.Phil in Mathmatics made the mistake of booking flight using his 'title' after he had graduated. And of course there was a medical emergency on the flight and when he didtn't step forward, they thought him an awful coward until he explained:D:  He stopped using his title that way hither and yon.

But by all means, use your title when it seems safe to do so. I don't when out of the workplace but that's my choice. In my experience, how one uses their 'title' can effect the way people react to one and therefor I don't use mine when it's not for functional purposes.

That's why I asked if that had changed.

But the whole point of my bringing this up is doing many years of study for egotistical reasons will quickly turn to ashes in the mouth after not to many years of study. It's not enought to keep one going in my experience.

 
....I don't have a PHD, and never suggested anywhere that I did. I don't know where you got the idea that I did from

Also my response has nothing to do with what you said about pretention
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

mlr52

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 781
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 04:12:10 pm »
Quote from: MarsPrincess;159413
These 3 seminaries look interesting but I can't find the tuition rate for the first one mentioned here.

I guess I'll keep looking :)

 
http://www.utsnyc.edu/financial-aid/tuition-fees/tuition-prices
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

carillion

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 664
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 04:16:09 pm »
Quote from: MarsPrincess;159415
Hi carillion,

thanks for the "Dr" part you mentioned. Yea I guess it's vanity in some ways of wanting "Dr" in a name.

How does one differentiate what is a cheap diploma mill degree or not? Like in many spiritual courses, including doctorates on parapsychology and the supernatural or metaphysics subjects, there can be very very cheap courses and some trademarked, and yet there are expensive ones which looks credible but actually seems very "vanity" in the curriculum lists.

When it comes to spirituality, does the price of the course directly mean it is valid?

For example, like Anthony Robbins products, they are very expensive because he is good at what he does in motivational field. But does it mean less famous and less expensive courses and materials might mean the knowledge and credentials are less credible?

Just wondering. Don't get me wrong :)



The term you want to look for when shopping for courses is 'accredited'. This means that whatever qualifications you will get out of it will be recognized by other legitimate institutes of learning like accredited universities. That's how you can differentiate a 'diploma mill' from a legitimate place of higher learning.

It's not how much it costs, it's whether it is recognized and the credits you earn are transferable to another institution or school. Please don't be sucked into super high priced 'name' schools or courses. Unless they can grant you a recognized degree they are all pretty much the same. If it's only the content you are interested in and not the end product, it doesn't matter. Go for the content you like just don't have any expectations about building a career on it or transferring to a university. Unless like Tony Robbins, you have a turn for salesmanship and are planning on going the Entrepreneur route. He cannot grant degrees though some are interested in his processes. That wasn't the sense I got from your post, though.

I don't think it matters what the subject is, spiritual or otherwise. It depends on what your ultimate goal is. If it's to write books, go ahead and write them. If it's to acquire degrees which are recognized in any field, you need to get them from an accredited place.

HeartShadow

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2195
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 04:23:59 pm »
Quote from: MarsPrincess;159415
Hi carillion,

thanks for the "Dr" part you mentioned. Yea I guess it's vanity in some ways of wanting "Dr" in a name.

How does one differentiate what is a cheap diploma mill degree or not? Like in many spiritual courses, including doctorates on parapsychology and the supernatural or metaphysics subjects, there can be very very cheap courses and some trademarked, and yet there are expensive ones which looks credible but actually seems very "vanity" in the curriculum lists.

When it comes to spirituality, does the price of the course directly mean it is valid?

For example, like Anthony Robbins products, they are very expensive because he is good at what he does in motivational field. But does it mean less famous and less expensive courses and materials might mean the knowledge and credentials are less credible?

Just wondering. Don't get me wrong :)

 
....what exactly is the goal here?

If it's just pure vanity when publishing, no one checks to make sure you've earned your doctorate.  You can just stick it there without any credentials at all.

If the goal is for it to mean something, though, you're dealing with an entirely different issue.  What do you want your degree IN?  what do you want to STUDY?  A PhD is saying you've studied something extensively.  That you're an expert.  What do you want to be an expert in?

And I have to say - the idea of getting a vanity title to write books /on spirituality/ makes me very creeped out.  Either you're not practicing what you're preaching, or what you're talking about isn't any spirituality I'd want anything to do with (based on that data point).  I'd take a good long look at what you're doing and why, and make sure you're not going in a direction that'll make things harder on yourself.

carillion

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 664
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 04:32:14 pm »
Quote from: MarsPrincess;159415
Hi carillion,

thanks for the "Dr" part you mentioned. Yea I guess it's vanity in some ways of wanting "Dr" in a name.

How does one differentiate what is a cheap diploma mill degree or not? Like in many spiritual courses, including doctorates on parapsychology and the supernatural or metaphysics subjects, there can be very very cheap courses and some trademarked, and yet there are expensive ones which looks credible but actually seems very "vanity" in the curriculum lists.




 I should have mentioned that the reason accreditation is important is because there are agreed upon standards of valid and up to date information. Diploma mills don't have to adhere to any standards of quality so you can spend a lot of time and money on *bad* information.

MarsPrincess

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2014
  • Posts: 40
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 04:46:40 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;159421
....what exactly is the goal here?

If it's just pure vanity when publishing, no one checks to make sure you've earned your doctorate.  You can just stick it there without any credentials at all.

If the goal is for it to mean something, though, you're dealing with an entirely different issue.  What do you want your degree IN?  what do you want to STUDY?  A PhD is saying you've studied something extensively.  That you're an expert.  What do you want to be an expert in?

And I have to say - the idea of getting a vanity title to write books /on spirituality/ makes me very creeped out.  Either you're not practicing what you're preaching, or what you're talking about isn't any spirituality I'd want anything to do with (based on that data point).  I'd take a good long look at what you're doing and why, and make sure you're not going in a direction that'll make things harder on yourself.


Hi HeartShadow,

I'm sorry you feel that way. But you seem to have misunderstood what my intentions are. No doubt I wasn't very clear about certain things I have mentioned but I guess as I mentioned in the original post, I'd love to have the "learnings" too other than a "Dr in front of my name".

I was telling carillion that yes I guess it was partly vanity when I wanted to have such a thing as "Dr" in front of my name. I didn't say that I was all into the vanity full on because I found what carillion said was true, about the example she gave on someone needing medical help and the person who used "Dr" for booking the flight wasn't a medical doctor whom could have helped the person who was feeling unwell.

And even if I managed to study something and get a doctorate of some sort, whether diploma mill or not, and was able to self publish something, I wouldn't force it on you to read or buy my book if "being creeped out" is how you feel about me and my discussion thread. I wouldn't force anyone in fact, to buy my book if I wrote one.

I don't know what I specifically want to study about but somewhere along the lines of metaphysics, supernatural, parapsychology might be interesting. In these subjects, there are many variations of courses to learn from. I haven't decided which variations I might be very interested in and am still in search of one I would like.

For example, I've seen some BA in spiritual healing and spiritual counselling. Those seem interesting. I've yet to see a doctorate in these 2 subjects yet while searching online.

I don't claim to be any expert since I currently don't have the kind of knowledge to be an expert and I think even if after studying for any kind of doctorate, I wouldn't be an expert because that takes long years of research and spirituality hand in hand to be any sort of a entry level expert.

I mentioned in the original post if anyone knew of other affordable spiritual courses etc. That part didn't mean any doctorate. It was "other than" the doctorates I mentioned.

Again I am sorry you feel the way you feel but I'm just being curious about what people have heard about affordable courses. I guess being unemployed due to 10 years of a few illnesses have made me too poor to consider many more years of expensive studies. That doesn't mean I'm out to have a convenient one just for the sake of it.

Sorry and thanks,
MarsPrincess

MarsPrincess

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2014
  • Posts: 40
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 04:57:36 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159423
I should have mentioned that the reason accreditation is important is because there are agreed upon standards of valid and up to date information. Diploma mills don't have to adhere to any standards of quality so you can spend a lot of time and money on *bad* information.

 
Hi carillion,

I see. I seriously wonder what kind of accreditation board is valid since I've searched on Google about degrees on spiritual healing. For example I could go and study Reiki and become a Reiki Master Teacher to teach people and that wouldn't need degrees, with Reiki as a kind of energy healing modality. But I've seen BA on spiritual healing in some online universities for the supernatural and they cost as much as a normal secular university in normal majors like engineering or chemistry. So looking at this example, how does one compare accreditation? I get confused...

Thanks :)

carillion

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 664
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 05:11:19 pm »
Quote from: MarsPrincess;159424
Hi HeartShadow,


I don't know what I specifically want to study about but somewhere along the lines of metaphysics, supernatural, parapsychology might be interesting. In these subjects, there are many variations of courses to learn from. I haven't decided which variations I might be very interested in and am still in search of one I would like.


For example, I've seen some BA in spiritual healing and spiritual counselling. Those seem interesting. I've yet to see a doctorate in these 2 subjects yet while searching online.


Sorry and thanks,
MarsPrincess

There are many good and accredited courses in Pastoral care ( many now offer multi-faith programmes) if spiritual healing interests you. But again, check the fine print and make sure they are accredited and recognized. This is a growing area and people get hired for hospital work etc., so it's important it's a recognized diploma/degree. The doctorate level would be Doctor of Divinity but that does not tend to be multifaith.

Reiki is considered a psuedo-science and is not a recognized ( meaning scientifically tested ) method of healing so any certificates or diplomas you get in it would be strictly for your own interest though you could drum up some private buisness of people who believe in it.


Parapsycholgy is usually a sub-discipline of another area ( psychology, anthropology ) as it is not a 'stand alone' science. Because there are no 'norms' to test against, there has not accumlated enough information to form a unified body of knowledge. You would have to go the alternate degree work with this as a minor . Metaphysics would be covered in Philosophy.

There are not universities of the supernatural :eek: (though I wish there were:) ) and any place advertising itself that way is bogus.

The way to check for accreditation is to find a place on their site that addresses that question as it is *the* important question that students ask when choosing a school. If the site doesn't address it, pass it by. Also you can do a backward search and just goole in " what schools are accredited to teach XYZ". Accreditation is accreditation and means courses are recognized and transferable so no comparison is required: they either are or they aren't accredited by recognized educational bodies.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:13:18 pm by carillion »

HeartShadow

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2195
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 05:28:39 pm »
Quote from: MarsPrincess;159424


 
What you're talking about isn't a real degree, not by any accredited stance.  It only means something inside the school that teaches it.  That does not make the study worthless, but it does mean the /degree itself/ is meaningless outside the institution that gives it.

I guess the real question is, what do you want?  to study?  to have a teacher to guide you through a course?  to have the finished product?  You don't need official courses to learn this stuff - they can help if they're well done, but price is the wrong place to start looking at it.  What you want is reviews of product.  If it's not worth the effort, being cheap doesn't redeem it.  But whether or not it gives you a diploma shouldn't be relevant.  The question is whether or not it teaches what you want to know.

MarsPrincess

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2014
  • Posts: 40
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 05:44:33 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159428
There are many good and accredited courses in Pastoral care ( many now offer multi-faith programmes) if spiritual healing interests you. But again, check the fine print and make sure they are accredited and recognized. This is a growing area and people get hired for hospital work etc., so it's important it's a recognized diploma/degree. The doctorate level would be Doctor of Divinity but that does not tend to be multifaith.

Reiki is considered a psuedo-science and is not a recognized ( meaning scientifically tested ) method of healing so any certificates or diplomas you get in it would be strictly for your own interest though you could drum up some private buisness of people who believe in it.


Parapsycholgy is usually a sub-discipline of another area ( psychology, anthropology ) as it is not a 'stand alone' science. Because there are no 'norms' to test against, there has not accumlated enough information to form a unified body of knowledge. You would have to go the alternate degree work with this as a minor . Metaphysics would be covered in Philosophy.

There are not universities of the supernatural :eek: (though I wish there were:) ) and any place advertising itself that way is bogus.

The way to check for accreditation is to find a place on their site that addresses that question as it is *the* important question that students ask when choosing a school. If the site doesn't address it, pass it by. Also you can do a backward search and just goole in " what schools are accredited to teach XYZ". Accreditation is accreditation and means courses are recognized and transferable so no comparison is required: they either are or they aren't accredited by recognized educational bodies.

 
Hi carillion and HeartShadow,

carillion I thought this website's courses are very valid and credible with a number of accreditation boards in UK and USA validating the courses' quality. I thought that these courses are so much more accredited than most BA or doctorates in spiritual healing and the likes.

http://www.lunacourses.com/accreditation.html

Sophia C

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: London, UK
  • *
  • Posts: 1968
  • Country: gb
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Gaelic-tinged polytheism, quite attached to Cailleach Bhearra, Narnian heretic, some Christian stuff
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 06:03:52 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159407
From my time working in the U.K. I would say it also depends where you work and the type of person you are. The same caveat about booking something using 'Dr'. applies, though. People who did that were more or less considered pretentious fools in the groups I hung out with.
Things seem to be changing a bit ( I was last there a couple of years ago) as the 'snob' appeal is starting get replaced with common sense. It used to be also (and may be still in some places) connected with 'class' . That *really* made me want to speak in the thickest Dagenham accent:)

Nope. I work and socialise with a number of PhDs from various fields. They all go by Dr. in their general lives, not just in academic settings. Nothing to do with being pretentious fools.

I'm very much looking forward to using Dr as a title. I've worked so bloody hard on my PhD for so many cumulative years that I might as well use it! Which is how my friends and colleagues who are PhDs also feel, for the most part. It's not snobbery.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
1296 Views
Last post August 19, 2012, 02:58:13 pm
by RandallS
28 Replies
6146 Views
Last post October 18, 2014, 02:26:47 pm
by PetitAlbert
4 Replies
2247 Views
Last post October 17, 2014, 02:52:35 pm
by Nautilus
0 Replies
801 Views
Last post February 11, 2017, 10:52:02 am
by PerditaPickle
8 Replies
697 Views
Last post September 14, 2018, 10:33:18 am
by Jainarayan

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall