Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Debate topic: Peace  (Read 10759 times)

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Re: Debate topic: Peace
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2018, 03:10:07 pm »
But might we still have been happy that way?

I gotta agree. The benefits of technology, medicine, science, culture, and everything else that comes with sedentary society are benefits *only* because they remedy existing problems. They also create lots of problems. If the basic challenges of life, such as hunger, sickness, and conflict were eliminated, there would be no need, or in my opinion, desire for settled living.

To me, saying that without conflict, we wouldn't have civilization, is like saying without cancer, we wouldn't have chemo. My response; duh! Of course we wouldn't have the only-slightly-less-horrible-than-what-it-cures treatment if the thing we were trying to treat with it didn't exist.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2018, 06:27:55 pm »
Society promotes strangers.

What does this actually mean? What are you trying to say?

Do you mean that society promotes strangers into higher ranks/paid jobs? Or do you mean that society promotes a situation where people can only be strangers to each other?

In the first case, well duh. Most people in the world will be strangers, so of course strangers will get more net promotions than people you know. In the second case, that's highly debatable. Social expectations (including work) can make it more difficult to make friends. On the other hand, it also supports many ways for people to get in touch with, or keep in touch with, people we meet and get to know.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2018, 08:19:40 pm »
We are not predators.

The meat on my plate begs to differ. So does science:

WHAT MADE HUMANS INTO GLOBAL SUPER PREDATORS?
http://www.conservationmagazine.org/2015/08/what-made-humans-into-global-super-predators/

We are an hybrid

I don't know what you mean by that. A hybrid would be a cross of two distinct species--for example, a mule (a horse crossed with a donkey). There definitely was hybridization by some of our species in the ancient past, when certain populations spread out of Africa and met Neanderthals. But today, Neanderthal genes constitute only a small fraction of the DNA in non-African people. And I don't follow how that long-ago hybridization impacts human tendencies for war-making or peace-making.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2018, 02:10:44 am »
We are not predators. We are an hybrid and we make enemies with each other.
Do you mean we are omnivores? That doesn’t change the fact that we are predators. Predators are not defined as 100% carnivorous. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2018, 10:38:42 am »
Do you mean we are omnivores? That doesn’t change the fact that we are predators. Predators are not defined as 100% carnivorous. 

The meat on my plate begs to differ. So does science:

WHAT MADE HUMANS INTO GLOBAL SUPER PREDATORS?
http://www.conservationmagazine.org/2015/08/what-made-humans-into-global-super-predators/

I don't know what you mean by that. A hybrid would be a cross of two distinct species--for example, a mule (a horse crossed with a donkey). There definitely was hybridization by some of our species in the ancient past, when certain populations spread out of Africa and met Neanderthals. But today, Neanderthal genes constitute only a small fraction of the DNA in non-African people. And I don't follow how that long-ago hybridization impacts human tendencies for war-making or peace-making.
Humans eat bananas. A malfunction in the brain caused them to eat meat. When did humans start to eat meat?

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2018, 10:41:36 am »
What does this actually mean? What are you trying to say?

Do you mean that society promotes strangers into higher ranks/paid jobs? Or do you mean that society promotes a situation where people can only be strangers to each other?

In the first case, well duh. Most people in the world will be strangers, so of course strangers will get more net promotions than people you know. In the second case, that's highly debatable. Social expectations (including work) can make it more difficult to make friends. On the other hand, it also supports many ways for people to get in touch with, or keep in touch with, people we meet and get to know.
I mean, all humans are the same, but we are strangers because society says so.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2018, 11:42:33 am »
Humans eat bananas. A malfunction in the brain caused them to eat meat. When did humans start to eat meat?

I would say some time around Genesis 9:3.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2018, 11:43:08 am »

You don't think that you have any say in the matter?
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 03:33:19 pm »
Humans ate meat before they were homo sapien sapiens. In other words, as long as we have been humans.

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 04:37:44 pm »
Humans ate meat before they were homo sapien sapiens. In other words, as long as we have been humans.

What I wanted to say is that meat was added to the diet. I may be wrong but men initialy were eating fruit and roots.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 04:39:30 pm »
What I wanted to say is that meat was added to the diet. I may be wrong but men initialy were eating fruit and roots.
I don't think humans have been an herbivorous species since maybe ever. Individuals may be vegetarian or vegan, but on the whole we're an omnivorous lot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2018, 05:42:02 pm »

1: We are not the same.
2: The fact that most people are strangers is due to our limited ability to know people. There are only so many hours in the day. Its hardly societies fault.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2018, 08:11:49 pm »
A malfunction in the brain caused them to eat meat.

What is your source for your claim that this was a malfunction in the brain?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2018, 02:10:27 am »
No. Humans have always eaten meat. We have also eaten roots and fruits. Human beings have always been omnivores.

Please remember, even monkeys will eat meat when they can get it.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2018, 02:36:54 am »
No. Humans have always eaten meat. We have also eaten roots and fruits. Human beings have always been omnivores. Please remember, even monkeys will eat meat when they can get it.

Eh, that's not entirely accurate; monkeys and other apes will eat meat *if they need it* because something is lacking in their diet. Usually, this happens when food is scarce, and they need extra nutrients that they normally don't eat.

It's not about being able to get it. Most monkeys and apes *could* have meat all the time, if they wanted it, but they simply don't. Gorillas and chimps occasionally eat meat, but quite often it's abundant and they ignore it.

This is also true for the distant ancestors of humanity. Our more recent ancestors, and of course our own species, have come to eat meat extensively, but for early hominids, it was a rare addition to the diet when food was scarce, not a staple of the diet.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Tags: