Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pets: Someone else's furbaby (potentially triggering)  (Read 1315 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Someone else's furbaby (potentially triggering)
« on: April 22, 2013, 07:51:42 pm »
We came home tonight and my husband went back to our shed to fix the door which had inverted during a recent storm.  He discovered one of the neighborhood cats inside, deceased.

We don't know whose cat she was (people who let their cats out around here often don't collar them), or what happened (we have major traffic and mean dogs in the area), but we know we can't bear to just dispose of her.  I was hoping someone had thoughts on what we could/should do?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:27:38 am by RandallS »
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Someone else's furbaby (potentially triggering)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:06:27 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;106413
We came home tonight and my husband went back to our shed to fix the door which had inverted during a recent storm.  He discovered one of the neighborhood cats inside, deceased.

We don't know whose cat she was (people who let their cats out around here often don't collar them), or what happened (we have major traffic and mean dogs in the area), but we know we can't bear to just dispose of her.  I was hoping someone had thoughts on what we could/should do?

Thanks.

Oh no. :(

My first thought was maybe posters? Obviously not ones with a photo, but write a description of her and stick it around the place with a number to contact you guys? Then maybe her owners will come forward?
But I suppose you will have to dispose of her soonish.

You could try ringing around local shelters with a description of her? It's possible that her owners have contacted shelters looking for her so you might be able to find them that way?

Sorry, I can't really think of what else to suggest. :(

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:19:16 am »
We came home tonight and my husband went back to our shed to fix the door which had inverted during a recent storm.  He discovered one of the neighborhood cats inside, deceased.

We don't know whose cat she was (people who let their cats out around here often don't collar them), or what happened (we have major traffic and mean dogs in the area), but we know we can't bear to just dispose of her.  I was hoping someone had thoughts on what we could/should do?

Thanks.

That's a tough situation. Maybe you could ask around with neighbors you get along with and see if anyone knows who the cat belongs to?

Maulus

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:17:51 am »

Thanks.

Oh no, that is sad :(.  We had a similar situation a few months back where a neighbours cat had been run over. First thing we did was try and contact the RSPCA to find out if they could scan the cat for a microchip which would or should identify the owner.
The RSPCA advised us to put the cat in a bin bag and stick it in the bin!

Anyhow, the point i was trying to make was do you have a policy of microchipping pets over in the States? if so, maybe get the cat scanned?

Dan

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 04:44:23 am »
Quote from: Laveth;106430
That's a tough situation. Maybe you could ask around with neighbors you get along with and see if anyone knows who the cat belongs to?

Agreed that this is a good idea. We lost Milo for a few days (I assume he was shut in a garage or similar somewhere) and we went around all the neighbours' houses asking if they'd seen him. I know they'd have let me know if they'd found him.

And that's a really sad situation. :(
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags: